Count Down to Avengers Endgame: Watching and rating all the Marvel movies (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The First Avenger is a really good movie. Joe Johnson has a pacing problem; his films always feel slow to me. They lack a certain energy like, say, Raiders has.

If TFA was tightened up and had a quicker pace, it would be 9/10. If Red Skull had been better, it would be 10/10.

Ya know I use to agree with that 100%.. But this time with this viewing I really enjoyed Joe's pacing in this one.. IDK.. While watching this I kept thinking he would be a good pick for a Star Wars movie. Way better then JJ and RJ anyways.

Best to not compare anything with Raiders.. Only a handful of films belong in its category of greatness :)

Captain America: The First Avenger

Well this was a nice surprise

Hero:
10 out of 10
- Perfectly done in every way. From skinny Steve to Captain America... They really just nailed the Hero in this film.

Villain:
6.5 out of 10
- Red skull was perfect at times and uneven at others.
If a little more time was spent with Red Skull he could have been a top tier villain I think..
Hydra could have been handled a little better a cannon fodder but they served their purpose.

Side characters:
8 our of 10
- Tommy Lee Jones is Perfect! Agent Carter is done very well and Bucky is OK but made better by knowing what is to come. There are no "Bad" side characters in this film.

Story:
7 out of 10
- The first half is perfect. Cap going from skinny Steve to full Cap is done perfectly. I wish the main villain plot could have been a little more interesting but overall its a decent enough story. What this does have in spades, just like its title character, is heart.

Action:
7 out of 10
- If you took the montage and made it a straight up action sequence this score would be an 8 or 8.5. Final battle on the giant plane was much better then I remember.

Musical Score:
7.5 out of 1
0 - Great to hear Caps theme and Alan Silvestri just has a lot more film composition chops then those that came before him. While the score is not perfect it has a feel to it that helps enhance the film.

Overall enjoyment:
8 out of 10 -
Didn't see this coming. I have watched this three times now and the 3rd time was the charm for me. I was not a fan the first time and I thought I might enjoy it a lot more after the two Cap sequels and Avengers films but it was only marginally better the 2nd time for me. But man did I enjoy it this time. Maybe its because it came right after watching IM2 and Thor, IDK but I had a great time with it this time. Gonna miss Cap after Endgame :(

Final Score - 54 out of 70 (Wow did not see that coming)

giphy.gif

That...is an awesome review. :duff And reflects how I've rated TFA from the very beginning. To add to your comments it's also a great self-contained story (a rarity for any superhero flick these days) and possibly the last MCU film actually shot on 35mm film. If I could only own one single film from the entire MCU my head says I should pick IW but as a lifelong Cap fan my heart says I'd go with TFA.

Like you said a brilliant origin story, absolutely A-list supporting characters, the instantly iconic Star-Spangled Man montage, a distinct and memorable score, his signature villain played by a great actor, for me it has it all. When the local 15/70 IMAX theater replayed every MCU film before the release of IW the one I took my kids to was TFA.

So glad you enjoyed your revisit!

I wouldn't even say "arguably". There's really no weak point, and for me, the films get better as they progress.

Totally agree. Even if someone wants to forgive Spider-Man 3 or TDKR and say that the Raimi or Nolan trilogy is better than Cap there's still the fact that the experience of actually watching those latter two trilogies is perpetually tainted by their finales. Not so with TFA/TWS/CW. And that's before pairing them up with IW/AEG. :thud:

I thought I'd join in...

---

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Road to "Endgame"

Part #1 - "Iron Man"

The one that started it all. Kevin Fiege, Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. achieve the seemingly impossible by not only bringing a largely unknown 2nd tier comic book character to the big screen in an enjoyable and slick movie, but also in kick starting what is surely the most ambitious and successful experiment in the history of cinema.

Simple, fun and relevant, "Iron Man" is extremely well-paced and achieves a pleasing mix of style and substance. Robert Downey Jr. appears born to play the role of "Tony Stark", and you can tell that he is having all the fun when in front of camera.

8/10

---

Part #2 - "The Incredible Hulk"

My overwhelming feeling when rewatching "The Incredible Hulk" was a combination of "wow, this is actually better than I remember" (although I never disliked the film in the first place) and "what could have been?".

The latter refers to Edward Norton in his role as "Bruce Banner". Looking back, it is hard to separate the character of Bruce Banner from Mark Ruffalo, whom would replace Norton in the role for "The Avengers" in 2012. The truth is, Norton is pretty good as Bruce Banner, and is a complete doppelganger for the character as he appears in the comic books. I always wonder how his character would have played out throughout the rest of the MCU series has Norton remained in role.

This movie has a GREAT first act, which perfectly establishes the character of Bruce Banner without necessarily devoting a whole movie to an origin story. The opening credits tell us everything we need to know and we are thrown completely into Banner being on the run in Brazil, trying desperately to find a cure for his... anger issues. The first act culminates with a very nice and highly suspenseful scene in which Banner is cornered in a factory by some local ********s, whilst at the same time government agents (also targeting Banner) close in. The tension builds as we hear Banner's heartbeat getting faster and faster. Banner's assailants have no idea what danger lies ahead for them, but we as an audience are preparing ourselves for the imminent arrival of Banner's monstrous alter-ego.

I really enjoy how "The Incredible Hulk" plays out like a modern "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde", and there is actually a lot of world building here for the rest of the MCU series (notably the discussions around Project Rebirth - the Super Soldier programme that created Captain America in the 1940s, and how it was an attempt to recreate this that turned Banner into the Hulk). The final act of the movie is a little messy and drags slightly, but "The Incredible Hulk" is a fun and enjoyable entry into the MCU.

6/10

Part #3 - "Iron Man 2"

Before sitting down to rewatch "Iron Man 2", I don't think I had seen the movie in about 7 years. The common consensus regarding the third entry into the MCU series is that it is pretty average. Now, having rewatched the movie, it is indeed very average, but there is some joy to be found here. It is not bad by any means, but just not great either.

Mickey Rourke is a formidable presence, and his villain "Ivan Vanko" could have been great if given more screen time. The scene on the Monaco race track in which Vanko attacks and confronts Tony Stark mid-race is pretty thrilling. There are some nice scenes throughout the movie with Stark confronting the reality of his own morality and possible impending death, but it is all a little thin on the surface.

With a solid opening followed by a very slow middle act, the movie then moves into an enjoyable and action-packed finale that unfortunately ends a little too abruptly.

Not bad, but not great.

5/10

---

Part #4 - "Thor"

Like "Iron Man 2", this is another entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe series that I had not watched in a long time. "Thor" is a relatively simple but fun movie that balances fantasy, humour and action very well.

The character of "Thor" is a tricky individual to adapt into any movie. That being said, Director Kenneth Branagh not only does a decent job of giving us an introduction to Thor that works, but he also succeeds in presenting a fantastical world full of outlandish beings whilst still keeping things surprisingly real and grounded within the wider context of the MCU series.

6/10

Part #5 - "Captain America: The First Avenger"

This movie works in so many ways. It has a strong, pulp, classic feel to it, and this is owed not just to the 1940s period setting but to it's simple yet effective delivery of the traditional "good triumphing over evil" story. Combined with some very nice character performances in Hayley Atwell's "Peggy Carter", Hugo Weaving's "Red Skull" and Stanley Tucci's "Abraham Erskine", "The First Avenger" is a solid, nostalgia filled blockbuster. Think "Raiders of the Lost Ark" meets "The Rocketeer".

Chris Evans has a career defining turn as "Steve Rogers / Captain America" and gives us an endearing introduction to who quickly became my favourite character in the MCU.

Entertaining, timeless and extremely rewatchable.

8/10

---

Part #6 - "The Avengers"

Here it is. The ensemble movie to end all ensemble movies. After five movies of build up, introducing us to core characters and an ever expanding world, "The Avengers" brings it all together in a feature length extravaganza that had been hotly anticipated ever since we saw the post credits scene tease "The Avenger Initiative" at the very end of 2008's "Iron Man".

Joss Whedon skilfully juggles every character, every scene, and every plot point throughout the picture. So much happens yet it feels so refreshingly simple. The action set pieces are almost flawless, the drama is expertly developed throughout the running time, and the comedy fits right in without being jarring (Star Wars: The Last Jedi; I'm looking at you). This is the point when the MCU became as iconic as "James Bond", "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", "The Lord of the Rings" etc.

This is a huge blockbuster without feeling overly bloated. Popcorn was made for this.

Oh, and Alan Silvestri's score is outstanding.

9/10

Yeah major kudos to Favreau, Johnston, and Brannagh for the unenviable task of setting the live-action theatrical precedent for such heavy hitters as Stark, Rogers, and Thor. Even if you don't consider their origin films to be the best entries (IM being the exception) I think that it can be pretty objectively claimed that all three of those core Avengers were definitive right from the get go. Not so much with Hulk obviously but he's been in the public consciousness for so many years (going back to Bill Bixby, Ang Lee, etc.) that it wasn't quite as critical to get him "right."

They certainly did with his monster form in the original Avengers though.

It really is. Arguably the greatest trilogy for any cinematic superhero.

I wouldn't even say "arguably". There's really no weak point, and for me, the films get better as they progress.

Totally agree. Even if someone wants to forgive Spider-Man 3 or TDKR and say that the Raimi or Nolan trilogy is better than Cap there's still the fact that the experience of actually watching those latter two trilogies is perpetually tainted by their finales. Not so with TFA/TWS/CW. And that's before pairing them up with IW/AEG. :thud:

Hmmmm Is it really a trilogy? I always feel like a trilogy has a beginning, middle, and end.

Either way I would say that yes it is the best 3 part comic based film series. The fact that TFA is almost as good as BB and TWS is as good as TDK maybe even better ends up leaving it to the final of both series.. And that IMO is not even close... CW crushes TDKR.

I don't think I would have said the TWS was a better movie then TDK before the 3rd parts for both films came out.. But that is how much TDKR put a sour taste in my mouth. It lessened my enjoyment of the TDK.

Raimi Spider-man films are not close to wither Nolan Batman or Cap movies for me. I really like 2 but part 1 has not aged well (I never loved it to begin with) and while I think the hate is a bit extreme on part 3 as it offers some good things, overall its a hot mess.

Yeah.. Cap has been handled pretty much perfectly. Only AOU is not quality IMO.

Part #6 - "The Avengers"

Here it is. The ensemble movie to end all ensemble movies. After five movies of build up, introducing us to core characters and an ever expanding world, "The Avengers" brings it all together in a feature length extravaganza that had been hotly anticipated ever since we saw the post credits scene tease "The Avenger Initiative" at the very end of 2008's "Iron Man".

Joss Whedon skilfully juggles every character, every scene, and every plot point throughout the picture. So much happens yet it feels so refreshingly simple. The action set pieces are almost flawless, the drama is expertly developed throughout the running time, and the comedy fits right in without being jarring (Star Wars: The Last Jedi; I'm looking at you). This is the point when the MCU became as iconic as "James Bond", "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", "The Lord of the Rings" etc.

This is a huge blockbuster without feeling overly bloated. Popcorn was made for this.

Oh, and Alan Silvestri's score is outstanding.

9/10

Well done Dark Knight 89.. Great read.

I am watching Avengers tonight.

The Avengers

Hero:
10 out of 10
- Perfect.. Just perfect. All our hero's are given a time to shine and are done so well.

Villain:
10 out of 10
- Loki was awesome in this and was at his most evil. Great stuff.

Side characters:
10 our of 10
- Nick Fury, Agent Coulson, Agent Hill, Pepper, Jarvis, The Shield agent playing Galaga :lol... All are done well. Nobody was annoying. Fury is such a great character and he gets to shine in this one.

Story:
8.5 out of 10
- You need a pretty good story to juggle all these characters and Josh Whedon did a pretty great job. Its basic take over the world stuff but because all the characters are done so well its the perfect story and pace for a film like this.

Action:
8.5 out of 10
- I wanted to give it a bit higher of score because all the Hulk stuff is perfect. I also love the Iron Man vs Thor fight. The Helicarrier scene was good with Hulk and Thor but not the best with all other characters. The ending is great for the most part but there are a few moments of action filler. But the stand out moments for our hero's is pretty great. Only Thor gets the short straw in this scene IMO.

Musical Score:
9 out of 1
0 - The Avengers theme is probably the closest thing we have to a modern day Star Wars theme. Film music is ignored for the most part anymore but the Avengers has a very recognizable theme and Alan Silvestri does a fine job with the rest of the films music.

Overall enjoyment:
10 out of 10 -
I just watched this a few months ago on 4K.. So watching this again was a little sooner then I wanted. But man this film holds up every time for me and its just so much fun. Any time hero's are on screen together it is gold. One of my top 3 marvel movies. Great stuff.

Final Score - 66 out of 70

Now to go from one of my favs to one of my least favs.. IM3... Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm for that one.

On to Phase 2!

Part #7 - "Iron Man 3"

After a great introductory movie in 2008's "Iron Man" (4 stars), an average follow up with 2010's "Iron Man 2" (2.5 stars), we come to 2013's "Iron Man 3"; the first movie of the MCU's "Phase Two".

If "Phase One" served as a world building and scene setting process for the MCU, then "Phase Two" promised and needed to explore our characters further, introduce a few new faces along the way, and take the overall MCU story to the next level.

In some ways, "Iron Man 3" achieves this. It is undoubtedly better than "Iron Man 2", and serves as a somewhat basic but enjoyable movie. Director Shane Black is arguably the perfect person to direct Robert Downey Jr.'s "Tony Stark" character, giving him some very witty dialogue and great buddy moments with Don Cheadle's "James Rhodes". The movie touches on some very interesting points, most notably Tony's experience of PTSD after the events of 2012's "The Avengers". We see a self assured and cocky individual completely stripped down to his core when faced with the reality of bigger threats and his own possible death.

The movie does feel slightly uneven, and scenes do not flow together in as natural a way as I'd like, but overall there is fun to be had here.

The twist/reveal of Trevor Slattery is genius, by the way. Absolute genius.

6/10

---

Part #8 - "Thor: The Dark World"

Thor's second solo outing is a tame affair, an average film that doesn't quite know what kind of film it wants to be. The story line is a bit thinly spread, and the villain is very forgettable.

This is not a bad film, by any means. The charisma and chemistry between Hemsworth and Hiddleston as "Thor" and "Loki" is strong, and the London-based climax is very entertaining. I just won't be rushing to watch this movie again.

This and "Iron Man 2" are the lesser movies of the MCU, and they aren't even bad movies in my opinion, just plainly average and unmemorable. It's amazing when you consider that, as of "Ant-Man and the Wasp", Marvel Studios has produced 20 entries into the MCU series, and they are yet to make a "bad" film. 2 average movies in the company of 18 good (or better) movies. It's pretty remarkable how they have managed to keep up this standard and continuously develop the overall story arc.

5/10

Part #9 - "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

This is where the MCU really steps up to a whole new level. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" delivers a nearly flawless political conspiracy thriller with all the trappings of a full throttle action movie.

The characters are so well written. Chris Evans shows again here why Steve Rogers/Captain America is the best character in the MCU. His character arc has been expertly developed over the course of his previous appearances in "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "The Avengers", and now even further in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". We see a man completely rocked to his core not only from being thrust into a completely alien time period but also from the fact that his very way of life and everything he believed in is brought into question.

The 8 minute action sequence when Steve, Natasha and Sam are confronted by the Winter Soldier on the highway is a complete masterclass in filming an action scene. The highlight of this sequence is the one-on-one fist fight between Steve and the Winter Soldier; a shining example of perfect fight choreography and the standard against which all future hand-to-hand combat scenes should be measured.

10/10

---

Part #10 - "Guardians of the Galaxy"

It turns out that the movie that nobody was looking forward to just so happens to be the MCU's best movie to date.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is a wonderfully simplistic yet deep science fiction film. Never before have I grown to care so much about so many new characters in so short a time span. Seeing this group of seemingly unremarkable individuals come together and become so much more is a true joy to behold. The movie wears it's homages to the 1980s and the golden age of science fiction on it's sleeve, and does not take itself too seriously at all. Yet it is also a wonderfully emotional movie about family and persevering in the face of loss. A perfect juggling act of drama, comedy, emotion, action and pure character.

Oh, and that soundtrack.

10/10

Part #11 - "Avengers: Age of Ultron"

This is a movie that I appreciate more everytime I watch it. "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a good movie; one that really deepens the overall MCU world and story arc, fleshes out our characters, and introduces some new faces. It may feel slightly disjointed, and "Ultron" as a villain perhaps could have been developed further (although I liked him overall), there is a lot of great stuff in "Age of Ultron". The film is genuinely a pivot point for the series as a whole, with events set in motion that will determine everything that follows in the MCU.

"Age of Ultron" has some really engaging action scenes. The opening sequence is a delightful way to begin the film; thrusting us into the middle of a battle between the Avengers and a Hydra army. Not to mention the amazing Iron Man Hulkbuster v Hulk fight and the hugely joyous climactic battle for Sokovia.

Yet, despite all this, this movie is ultimately about people and character. It's an exploration of who these individuals are and what their flaws are. What do people do when faced with the possibility of the end of the world? How far would they go to save it? What keeps them up at night? Do their demons lead them to make poor choices? Tony Stark is haunted by the threat of death to the rest of the team (and his supposed lack of action to prevent this). Steve Rogers (continuing a theme from "Captain America: The Winter Soldier") faces the question of whether or not he can exist in a world without war - whilst suffering from nightmares of his own past and the life he was supposed to have. Black Widow's secret history is hinted at, and we see how alone she really is. The sequence with Hawkeye's family on their farm is really special - not only humanising Hawkeye himself, but the rest of the team too.

The film also has a great ending - the final "confrontation" between Vision and Ultron is a quiet and poignant moment when both of these "superior" beings agree that humanity is indeed doomed, yet Vision insists that "there is grace in their failings... a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts".

Yes, it may not be as fresh or concisely written as "The Avengers", but "Age of Ultron" is still a decent film and an enjoyable entry into the MCU. Even the web series "Honest Trailers" - a series designed to poke fun at movies - admit in their honest trailer for "Age of Ultron" that "I mean, it's definitely good... we're going to catch hell for this aren't we?"

7/10

---

Part #12 - "Ant-Man"

Well, wasn't this a lovely surprise? Outside of the comic book reading community, the thought of a movie about a character named "Ant-Man" would have likely evoked a lot of s******ing. However, the MCU has shown that it can bring lesser known characters to the wider population, make them fun and, most importantly, make them relevant.

"Ant-Man" is essentially a heist movie, and a very fun one at that. Evoking moments from classic films such as "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", it's incredibly entertaining to see a man ride a flying ant, jump through keyholes, flee the "tidal wave" of a running tap, and more.

I really enjoy how the film adds to the MCU as well, giving us an insight to the history of S.H.I.E.L.D. through scenes set in the 1980s featuring Howard Stark, Peggy Carter, and a younger Hank Pym.

Light-hearted and funny, "Ant-Man" does drag slightly in the middle, but is a nonetheless solid and enjoyable movie.

7/10

Iron Man 3

Interesting..... Apparently 3rd time is the charm again.

Hero:
8 out of 10 -
Enjoyed RDJ's Tony Stark much more this time. I liked his Anxiety issues and that he was the focus more then the suits more then I ever have before. This is typically a bottom 3 Marvel movie for me and I would say its still in the lower tier but I enjoyed it much more this time. It still has its issues... Speaking of issues...…

Villain:
2 out of 10
- Had this film not had the Mandarian at all and just focuses on Killian I would have given the villains a higher score. But the twist is just so stupid. I have no ties to the Mandarian from the comics so its not that.. Its just that he started as such a great character and then he turned into a comic relief who uses literal potty humor. I actually like Killian's henchmen... So it could have worked.. Its just that it all got so dumb.. Between the twist and Killian blowing fire out of his mouth, I could not help but be taken out of the film yet again.. Even on the 3rd viewing.

Side characters:
7 out of 10
- Pepper, Happy, and Jarvis are all back but not as interesting and hardly in it. Rhodes is back and a part of the action and The kid is good and plays off RDJ very well.

Story:
6 out of 10
- I am not a huge fan of the main plot but since the rest of the film focuses on Tony and his anxiety and his interaction with the kid I found the story to be overall entertaining.

Action:
4 out of 10
- The fight on the boat is really boring IMO. Watching Drone suits do most of the fighting is not exciting. The best action scene (Air Force One Rescue) is ruined a bit knowing its not Tony doing the rescuing. The Attack on Tony's house is pretty cool. Best action scene is Tony in the Bar fighting the two Henchmen IMO... None of the action is bad.. Just not very exciting.

Musical Score:
5 out of 1
0 - Well Iron Man has a theme but I don't like it. It does not fit the character IMO. I prefer the more electric guitar riffs from the first film to the full blown Orchestra theme in this one.

Overall enjoyment:
6.5 out of 10 -
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??? :lol :lol I really did enjoy this one much more this time around.. Warts and all. I don't know if it will always hold up this well for me but I hope it does.. Its one that I wont return to as often as others but perhaps that will help it always stay fresh for me as I wont remember every frame of film. I know a 6.5 out of 10 may not seem that high but I would have put my original viewings at a 3 out of 10 for sure.

Final Score - 38.5 out of 70

So far IM2 and Captain Marvel have my lowest scores and I would say that that is an accurate representation to how I feel about these films overall on an enjoyment and quality level. But as Jye is always fond of saying.. There is no truly terrible Marvel film... Now I have yet to make it to my least Fav Marvel film.. But IM3 use to be my 2nd least fav and I am happy to find that its not as bad as I thought.

Watching all these films like I have has been a lot of fun so far.. Hope I don't burn out :lol

This may be well known, but only appreciated in this forum and those like it.

Ready?

I caught a HUGE call back I never noticed before connecting TFA and CW.

When Cap is still small, and fighting the “bully” in the alleyway . He gets knocked down, but get back up, rolls his shoulders (in that Cap way) and says;
“I can do this all day”

Fast forward to CW, Cap is getting beat down by Stark, does the same shoulder roll, and says “I can do this all day”

Maybe everyone caught this but me, but its damn cool to see a call back you never noticed , in two favorite films done years apart...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

There is also a callback to non-super soldier Steve saying “I can do this all day,” later in the same movie. I’d forgotten it until watching it again recently, but when Red Skull is trying to interrogate Cap and he’s slapping him around, Cap looks up with a similar expression on his face and says “I can do this all day.” I can’t remember a similar scene in “The Winter Soldier” but there are definitely call backs to the alley beat down scene later in “The First Avenger,” and then in “Civil War,” like you said.

Thor: The Dark World

3rd time is not the charm

Hero:
7 out of 10
- Thor is just not very interesting in this film.

Villain:
2 out of 10
- Loki is more of a side character so I am not adding him in with the villains.. Man the villains are a drag and very unmemorable. Worst of the Marvel villains I think.

Side characters:
7 our of 10
- Loki is good as usual as is Odin and his wife.. I do not care for Jane or any of the human characters as they are all a bore.

Story:
4 out of 10
- The interaction with Thor and Loki is good and Loki's story is good but the Dark Elves story is pretty paint by the numbers and uninteresting. Killing Thor's mom was a nice twist.

Action:
4 out of 10
- I love the Dark Elves attack on Asgard. Love the Dark Elves ships and think the F/X are top notch.. Everything else is meh..

Musical Score:
6 out of 1
0 - Pretty good. Nothing great.

Overall enjoyment:
4.5 -
Wow this dropped a lot.. I did not hate this the first two times I saw it. But back to back with all the other films and its faults are more apparent.. Thor and Loki are pretty good but man the chemistry between Thor and Jane is non existent. When I first saw this I remember thinking it was pretty good but the next say when reflecting on it I saw that is was not all that good.. My 2nd day brain was right.

Final Score - 34.5 out of 70

Back