Count Down to Avengers Endgame: Watching and rating all the Marvel movies (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOTG 8/10: This was the surprise film for me that year I skipped GOTG in comic form, but the family wanted to see a film and we heard this was great.

Simple but effective plot Its hit is really hard since my wife had just lost her father the cancer.

The over the too color scheme, combined with the incredibly bold choice for a soundtrack made this a real “looker” as a film.

Some serious overtones, offset bu some comedy genius moments. Thats really hard to pull off.

Hell they made us care about a Raccoon and a tree. Thats impressive enough in it self.

GOTG 2 : 8/10 Why change a good thing? Well because it risks getting stale. Like the villain in this one. The real story was Yondu. If that had not been the ending to this, it would have been relegated to 6/10 territory.

But the interaction between Yondu , Quinn and Rocket really hit a home run. And save the big monster battle from being....well....just a big special effects monster battle.

Who would have though GOTG would be able to keep its legs with the Big Boys?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

But the interaction between Yondu , Quinn and Rocket really hit a home run. And save the big monster battle from being....well....just a big special effects monster battle.

Who would have though GOTG would be able to keep its legs with the Big Boys?

Yondu’s death is still the most emotional thing to happen in the MCU.

Yondu’s death is still the most emotional thing to happen in the MCU.
You may be right, Colson was up there thou.....

And Loki’s death....faked yeah, still thats only thing about TDW I liked.

GOTG 8/10: This was the surprise film for me that year I skipped GOTG in comic form, but the family wanted to see a film and we heard this was great.

Simple but effective plot Its hit is really hard since my wife had just lost her father the cancer.

The over the too color scheme, combined with the incredibly bold choice for a soundtrack made this a real “looker” as a film.

Some serious overtones, offset bu some comedy genius moments. Thats really hard to pull off.

Hell they made us care about a Raccoon and a tree. Thats impressive enough in it self.

I've revisited GOTG many times and have never gotten bored of it. The pacing was just right along with everything you described. Definitely one of my favorite Marvel movies.

Hey, JAWS, I'm still not comfortable talking about Yondu, so I'd really appreciate it if you SHUT YOUR ****ING MOUTH!!!!!

:wink1: :lol
:lol :lol

You may be right, Colson was up there thou.....

And Loki’s death....faked yeah, still thats only thing about TDW I liked.

Colson's death never meant anything to me.. I mean he had a few small cameos and The Avengers was the first real attempt at giving him a real personality...

Don't get me wrong... I like his character but I would have been fine with him staying dead.

Loki in TDW was good.. I would say Thor's mom carried a little wait.

Yondu is the only one that made me think about shedding a tear.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Hero:
10 out of 10
- Cap is back and better then ever!!!

Villain:
9.5 out of 10
- I Love The Winter Soldier in this.. He is a scary ass character. Great look and a nasty attitude. Not a huge fan of Robert Redford's part.. He was ok but I liked Bucky and all the henchmen better.

Side characters:
10 our of 10
- Black Widow, Fury, Falcon, all are top notch.. I could easily put them in the hero section but this film does not really have any "Normal" side characters.

Story:
8.5 out of 10
- I am not 100% in love with the Hydra infiltration of SHIELD... Mostly because of the exposition we had to listen to to get the plot points... Otherwise all is good. One of the few Marvel films that has legitimate suspense.

Action:
8.5 out of 10
- Nick Fury Car chase is one of the best action scene in the MCU.. I love that scene and am on the edge of my seat every time.. Love the Cap elevator fight and the Cap vs Winter Soldier street fight. I take off a couple of points because the ending for me is not that great and the problem with the whole film. Last 20 min just does not grab me like the first hour and 40 mins.

Musical Score:
7 out of 1
0 - Some really good action ques in this one. Nothing special as far as main themes but the action is helped by the score in this film.

Overall enjoyment:
9 out of 10 -
Great stuff. Had it landed the last 20 min it would be just about perfect.

Final Score - 62.5 out of 70

Guardians of the Galaxy

Hero:
10 out of 10
- All of these characters are great.

Villain:
6 out of 10
- Never been a fan of Ronan. He is OK. Serves his purpose. But adds nothing to the film IMO. But he does not ruin it either. Has a cool moment or two. But Nebula is great.. Oh and Thanos :)

Side characters:
8 our of 10
- I give an 8 out of 10 for Yondu all by himself. The rest of the cast is fine. Not a ton of side characters that get a lot of time.

Story:
8 out of 10
- This has a solid story that did a good job introducing us to the crew.

Action:
7.5 out of 10
- Love the Prison Break scene and the fight over the infinity stone when our hero's all first meet. The ending is a bit long and uninspired but not bad.

Musical Score:
6 out of 1
0 - This is just for the score and not the rock tunes. Pretty good score with a theme that I recognize while watching it but cant remember after its over :lol

Overall enjoyment:
8.5 out of 10 -
This one has moved up a lot for me. Did not care for it the first time I saw it. Or should I say I did not get what all the praise was about.. But have enjoyed it more and more. Now that the MCU is so expanded and I have see all these character in other movies.. Well its just gotten better.

Final Score - 54 out of 70

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Still My least Fav Marvel movie.
Hero's:
4 out of 10
- I cant believe how much I don't like most of the characters.. They don't seem to be the same characters that we got to know and love from the earlier films.. Much of this has to do with the writing. So many bad one liners that just don't stick and make this film feel more like a bad sit com then a real movie. Seriously just add a laugh track and it fit right in on ABC. Cap is probably the closest to being the same but he also is given cringe worthy dialogue that just makes him seem out of place. Tony who usually is great for a laugh out loud joke or two has none. Hide the Zucchini? Really? I do like the attempts to pick up Thor's Hammer... But it pretty much ends there. Less said about Quicksilver the better.

Villain:
1 out of 10
- I Hate Ultron. I really do. Where was the character they promised us in the trailers? Again, lots of Sit com jokes to be had with this villain. Just awful. And the Avengers fighting a bunch of drones is about as dull as you can get. Yuck.

Side characters:
3 our of 10
- Not much here accept for a small part by Fury which is IMO the best part of the film.

Story:
5 out of 10
- I actually don't think the plot is all that bad. But man the script is awful. Just the worst. But I am giving it a decent score because I like the Skynet logic Ultron has as soon as he is born.

Action:
3 out of 10
- Like I said. Fighting drones is boring. Plus there are a lot of bad CGI moments (like the whole first action scene) some of the moments are corny (like the whole first action scene and much of the end) Hulk vs Hulk buster is good and Cap vs Ultron is decent but the rest is the worst in the Marvel series IMO

Musical Score:
2 out of 1
0 - Love that Danny Elfman has a great theme to use from the last Avengers film and doesn't use it. Its pretty bland score. I am giving it 2 because of the few times he uses parts of the Avengers theme.

Overall enjoyment:
3 out of 10 -
Its the Avengers so its watchable I guess.

I really don't like this film at all. Its boring, lacks any excitement, corny to the max, and is the closest thing that Marvel has to an honest to goodness bad movie. Its not Batman and Robin bad... That's a special kind of bad. But Its Transformers 2 bad IMO.

Final Score - 21 out of 70

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Tony who usually is great for a laugh out loud joke or two has none. Hide the Zucchini? Really?

This literally made me laugh out loud. :lol

And you mentioned in the Captain Marvel thread that GotG 2 doesn't have enough "meat" in it for you to endorse. When I saw the movie in theaters I was really annoyed how during almost every single dramatic scene the music would swell only to abruptly stop so that they could shoehorn in another joke. I was also annoyed how in almost every tense scene the entire team just constantly shouts at each other. It really got old for me.

But James Gunn has delivered some of the most poignant scenes in the entire MCU. I always get a little misty when Star-Lord's mom shows up again at the end of the first one giving him a second chance to take her hand and I do again in GotG 2 and not at the part that gets everyone else emotional. I know everyone loses it when Yondu dies but the moment that always gets me is during his funeral when Rocket says that people stood by him even though he was mean to everyone and stole batteries he didn't need (speaking of himself obviously.) That look that Star-Lord gives him as he says "of course" gets me every time, even now just thinking about it, lol.

Plus earlier when Star-Lord is trying to counter Ego and the sound goes out as he flashes back to fond memories between him and his team. Great stuff, IMO. I've also grown to think that the intercutting between the separated heroes as Ego reveals his past with all his murdered off-spring is another one of my favorite moments in the MCU. Add all that with the great visuals and jokes that I find myself enjoying more than not and I can't help but redact my initial criticisms of the film and replace them with pretty high praise.

Last edited:
Ant-man

Ok Back to the MCU this week.. Took a break because I didn't want to finish too soon before Endgame

Hero:
9 out of 10
- Paul Rudd is great in this. Always likable and always fun.

Villain:
8 out of 10
- I know I may be in the minority but I like this villain.. Yes its another "Evil Rich Man" but IMO of all the villains in the MCU this one is the biggest *******.. I mean I really root against him.

Side characters:
8 our of 10
- All the side characters are great.. Not the best in the series but still pretty great.

Story:
7 out of 10
- A pretty darn good origin story that is a fun. It could have a stronger plot but its still a good time.

Action:
7 out of 10
- Some great moments but a pretty tame film in terms of action but again lots of fun.

Musical Score:
5 out of 1
0 - Not bad but not great.

Overall enjoyment:
7.5 out of 10 -
This one feels the least like a Marvel movie to me. Its just a lot a fun and more of an action comedy then anything else. I have always enjoy this film and was glad to see that I still do

Final Score - 51.5 out of 70

This literally made me laugh out loud. :lol

And you mentioned in the Captain Marvel thread that GotG 2 doesn't have enough "meat" in it for you to endorse. When I saw the movie in theaters I was really annoyed how during almost every single dramatic scene the music would swell only to abruptly stop so that they could shoehorn in another joke. I was also annoyed how in almost every tense scene the entire team just constantly shouts at each other. It really got old for me.

I did? Hmmmm Must have been in a bad mood.. I mean I agree about the meat but I think I would still endorse it.. I will let you know next week :)

But James Gunn has delivered some of the most poignant scenes in the entire MCU. I always get a little misty when Star-Lord's mom shows up again at the end of the first one giving him a second chance to take her hand and I do again in GotG 2 and not at the part that gets everyone else emotional. I know everyone loses it when Yondu dies but the moment that always gets me is during his funeral when Rocket says that people stood by him even though he was mean to everyone and stole batteries he didn't need (speaking of himself obviously.) That look that Star-Lord gives him as he says "of course" gets me every time, even now just thinking about it, lol.

Plus earlier when Star-Lord is trying to counter Ego and the sound goes out as he flashes back to fond memories between him and his team. Great stuff, IMO. I've also grown to think that the intercutting between the separated heroes as Ego reveals his past with all his murdered off-spring is another one of my favorite moments in the MCU. Add all that with the great visuals and jokes that I find myself enjoying more than not and I can't help but redact my initial criticisms of the film and replace them with pretty high praise.

I agree about both GotG films having the most emotional impact in the MCU. Interesting that this weird little known comic ends up being the movie that outshines the rest of the MCU in that department.

I'm right with you, JAWS, on GOTG and TWS... and I do enjoy Ant-Man, though not sure I'd give it a 9.

My Top Marvel are Avengers, Winter Soldier and GOTG... and of course IW. Hoping to put EG up there for my Top 5.

Ant-Man for me is better than average. I like it better than Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

I also agree that Ultron is probably the worst of the Marvel movies for me. Either that or Civil War. Yep, I don't like Civil War. (Although Civil War does open with probably my favorite Marvel opening ever)

Either that or Civil War. Yep, I don't like Civil War.

jye4ever said:
giphy.gif

_____

I'm right with you, JAWS, on GOTG and TWS... and I do enjoy Ant-Man, though not sure I'd give it a 9.

My Top Marvel are Avengers, Winter Soldier and GOTG... and of course IW. Hoping to put EG up there for my Top 5.

Ant-Man for me is better than average. I like it better than Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

I also agree that Ultron is probably the worst of the Marvel movies for me. Either that or Civil War. Yep, I don't like Civil War. (Although Civil War does open with probably my favorite Marvel opening ever)

I did not give it a 9... that was for the hero... I have it 7.5 so we are not far off... Civil War next... we will not be agreeing there :)

The Incredible Hulk 7/10

Goddamn this is underrated ! Such good action, monster movie vibes, and while cliche , a good villain. It’s one of the only marvel movies to have actually interesting action set pieces. It’s not hulk smash a million clones the whole time. And for some reason I love the look of the hulk in this. He looks terrifying, but slightly attractive [emoji1787]

Probably going to keep my “marathon” to IH , iron man, first avenger, Avengers 1, and infinity war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched TIH not too long ago, and found myself imagining Ruffalo playing the part throughout the entire film. Not to say that Ruffalo is some huge out-of-shape slob or anything, but Norton definitely fits the role better for this film. Banner is much more active and moving around, even when he's not the Hulk.

Back