Coomodel armor repair

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyhargo Dirge

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got the coomodel gothic knight - the latest that is very articulated armor. The distributor sent me one that I believe had been returned since the seal has been broken on the box and I found the last/lowest plate of the right pauldron had detached and needs repinned. Coomodel anticipated such a thing and included several replacement pins. Before I endeavor to fix it (I’ve considered taking it to a jeweler), anyone have know how on fixing pinned armor?

I have the same figure. Mine unfortunately arrived with a detached helmet visor, and the included pins aren't useful for that particular part. As for your case, I would consider getting a small jewelry hammer, snipping the pin to to the right length with just a bit sticking out inside the armor, then giving that cut end a few small taps until it flattens out enough to keep the pin from sliding out.

I have the same figure. Mine unfortunately arrived with a detached helmet visor, and the included pins aren't useful for that particular part. As for your case, I would consider getting a small jewelry hammer, snipping the pin to to the right length with just a bit sticking out inside the armor, then giving that cut end a few small taps until it flattens out enough to keep the pin from sliding out.
The visor on mine had a broken pin on one side. Like the OP I'm considering taking to a jeweler. Might get a funny look from them when I show them my model knight, probably not something that they get asked to do often.

A couple of leather straps needed supergluing as they were detached on arrival. I got a partial refund from the seller for those issues but unfortunately didn't notice the visor pin until after I had already negotiated.
A lot of QC issues with this figure it seems, but will look great when fixed!

I'm going to have a go on the plates with polish and different sandpaper grains to get my perfect finish. Out of the box it's not as good as the proto shots but I reckon it can get there.

Was tempted to get this just for the sallet but wanted to wait for inhand impressions from here. Sadly the thread for it died as soon as it released… but I digress.

I am super interested to hear how it goes at a jeweler and hope someone posts some after photos!

I’ll try to pay it some attention this weekend. It’s a pretty nifty sight to behold. I suppose it’s fair to accept there are some fragilities to such fine things but for the cost, I had hoped for better. Generally, tho, I like coomodel - think they bring some amazing products to the hobby

The visor on mine had a broken pin on one side. Like the OP I'm considering taking to a jeweler. Might get a funny look from them when I show them my model knight, probably not something that they get asked to do often.

A couple of leather straps needed supergluing as they were detached on arrival. I got a partial refund from the seller for those issues but unfortunately didn't notice the visor pin until after I had already negotiated.
A lot of QC issues with this figure it seems, but will look great when fixed!

I'm going to have a go on the plates with polish and different sandpaper grains to get my perfect finish. Out of the box it's not as good as the proto shots but I reckon it can get there.
I used Cape Cod polishing cloths to bring out the shine in mine to the desired amount.

F2D80D0E-E506-4354-B8CC-ABC8BE15995E.jpeg

2404919C-3C4C-468E-88E4-8DD0B2CB5807.jpeg

8E87FEE0-444B-44FD-8F79-F614AFA95404.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks gorgeous! Yes, I bought some Cape Cod cloths after reading about them in one of the Mandalorian threads.
Your figure looks a lot better with the stock cheapo chainmail removed as well, I see.
I bought some nicer mail loose on eBay but haven't made the swap yet.

That looks gorgeous! Yes, I bought some Cape Cod cloths after reading about them in one of the Mandalorian threads.
Your figure looks a lot better with the stock cheapo chainmail removed as well, I see.
I bought some nicer mail loose on eBay but haven't made the swap yet.
Yeah I’ve got a handful of mail shirts, one coo model metal shirt and some faux ones as well. Still haven’t found the right one. The metal one is too heavy and thick doesn’t easily fit under the armor.

I never looked very closely at the spare pins that come with Coo or Pop figures, but presumed they would need to be pushed through and flattened into rivets using a small pair of pliers.

The best 1/6 mail I've seen is from Coo's sister brand, Pop Toys (and they are a sister because historically that department made female bodies, while Coo's department made male ones).

Pop Toys' Jeanne d'Arc 2.0 was a big improvement over the original releases.

52417895063_9b45f1cc89_o.jpg

52416871927_d6683e4ca7_o.jpg

52417667509_df921c5078_o.jpg

52416872002_b248b59041_o.jpg
52417384676_44eaf62769_o.jpg

It's a shame Coo made such a big improvement with the plate armour over the old Gothic knight, but then went with the unconvincing the fabric mail.

Back from the jewellers! As expected they weren't sure at first when I asked them to take a look at some model armour, but once I showed them the hinge they agreed it should be straightforward to give it a go. They did a really nice job and as you can see the replacement pin head doesn't stand out much from the rest of the metal. It probably won't look different at all once I've polished the rest like Rory has. My jewellers did both sides for £15 (just under $20). The hinge motion still works.

20230512_153202.jpg

Nice! Glad to hear the happy ending. Have to imagine that it was a fun one-off project for a jeweler. Now the guy can add ‘armorer’ to his resume lol

Great repair on the helm. Did you happen to have a chance to observe the repairs? I am having a similar issue with my Coomodel Black Guard Knight. The pin that connects the upper thigh armor to the lower leg armor was sheared off. Any further suggestions on repining the armor parts would be appreciated.

In regards to realistic chainmail, consider the German Silver Mesh Chain Purses.
With some scissors and wire, you can create your own.

-Thanks

I didn't get to observe the repairs I'm afraid, just dropped off the helmet and came back when it was done a few days later.

Those purses are interesting but would probably work out more expensive than buying a loose mail from the winged hussar set and still be too bulky to fit under the arm plates. I've found some mesh effect cloth I'm pretty happy with and will sew my own from scratch. If they turn out nice I might make a limited run to sell to people on the forum.

Back