coolprops---dog alien maquette!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are we comparing? Because both are Dog Alien statues and are of similar scale,

My comment was aimed at Steve who is being pedantic. The over all products are of course comparable as thy are basically the same thing, but for 3x the price, you'd expect a bit more QC if nothing else and so the micro comparisons are getting disingenuous. I still prefer P1's over all.

My comment was aimed at Steve who is being pedantic. The over all products are of course comparable as thy are basically the same thing, but for 3x the price, you'd expect a bit more QC if nothing else and so the micro comparisons are getting disingenuous. I still prefer P1's over all.

No worries. I just like to chime in at times. It’s all good.

Glad you dig the P1, can’t wait to get mine. Did you order it yourself?

I don't why you guys are still crying about the price of the ADI maquette. I was referring solely to the P1 and it's perceived value and whether it's worth the hassle of multiple returns to possibly just end up with a parted out piece for $2k.Seems like anytime you guys are presented with warranted criticism and actual images that contradict the "accuracy" of the P1 piece,your only defense is crying that the ADI maquette is $6500.

Getting weak!

Since you guys are still going on about ADI vs. P1.

The closest to the rod puppet, in maquette form, is the original ADI paint master maquette. It's what was sent to Boss Film along with ADI's 1/3 maquette molds, for Boss Film to work off of, as a template in creating the rod puppet.The only thing the P1 has in common with the rod puppet is the scale. The SS piece that keeps being compared,is actually "more" accurate,when compared to the rod puppet, than the P1. The only real issues with the SS piece are that SS screwed up parts of the head and it's lackluster, price point, paint job.

The simple fact is ,the P1 piece is P1's interpretation of the "dog alien" and another entry into the line of A3 merchandise, like the NECA,Kotobukiya and Sano pieces. It's not a prop replica, it doesn't replicate any prop used in the production of the A3 film or what was used on screen, no matter how many screen grabs you try to look at.

You may be enamored by how P1 added detail, that didn't originally exist, or the fact that they altered or completely misinterpreted other details.You may also be enamored by how they painted it,even thought the paintwork isn't even close to being as detailed or as accurate to Gino Acevedo's or Yuri Everson's paintwork. P1/CP didn't laser scan or own one of the rod puppets. They didn't laser scan or own the ADI paint master or any of the other original ADI maquettes. They didn't cast any part of this from the ADI molds. They took whatever data points they acquired from where or whatever and manipulated it all together in the computer and that's what became the basis for what you see.

To be frank,the P1 is more of a fanfare/alternate universe "dog alien" statue.It isn't a replica of the rod puppet or any other actual A3 props.
That's where part of the added cost of admission comes into play with the ADI maquette,plus the fact that the quality control is much more stringent!

Now you can go back to the same old lame $6500 argument about me making comparisons.:wave

Crying, lol. This is just shop talk about a statue, not life and death... :medic

All Im doing is criticizing that damn overpriced statue...and people get so defensive, like if were strangling their beloved pets or something, lol.

I really could give two shiats if it was made and forged from the mighty hands of both Odin and Zeus...$6500 for what is basically still a copy is ridiculous. And yes, it is still a copy...not the real thing...and thats why the price tag is so ridiculous.

Did you buy it? If you did, cool.

All this talk of super accuracy about everything borderlines into extreme OCD (Im a geek too, so calm down, lol).

Aside from a tiny fraction of the population. Who else is going to notice these things? All my family and friends have seen my collection. Some figures/statues are accurate, some are not...and not one of them have any clue/idea of these things...NO ONE...but they find it cool nevertheless.

Prime 1 Dog Alien not accurate? I DO NOT CARE EITHER...it is just a baddarze maquette, period.

Seriously, none of my posts are attacks at any of you...just that damn statue...that Im hating more and more by the minute...

:computer:drink:lol

P.S. Do not let my newbie 130 posts fool you...Im probably one of the oldest ALIEN fan and collectors here. Watched the premier of ALIEN as a kid with my dad way back in 1979 (yes, I got in the theater, lol)...on the silver screen...The Coronet Theater in San Francisco. One of the most awesome experiences of my life. Been hooked every since. Star Wars can bite me, lol.

Critize away.I'm just critizing back lol!

My friend likes it too😜

As a matter of fact he is interested in buying another closed mouth head and the stand.

LOL - that's still happening is it - no surprise there then :)

:lol

I actually love the close mouth version...love that dog snarl look...

As you can see in my avatar,I'm a little more prone to the closed mouth look myself. I do like the head-on profile of that P1 head. I saw my friend's maquette in person. At one particular angle though it looks to have just a tad too much of an under bite,plus the odd fact that his was missing half the little lines on the left upper lip,probably made me focus a little more on the mouth.

I'm a stickler for detail. The jobs and hobbies I've typically had,revolved around that😀

The closed mouth version was a must-have for me too. Somehow, it's got more personality and looks meaner. It's not in the middle of killing you, but it's thinking about it. :wink1:

As for accuracy, I don't really care if the rod puppet has 3 grooves in its armpit and the P1 has 2 (or whatever). I've never gone over the original props with a magnifying glass, so I wouldn't notice that kind of extreme detail. Also, the P1 was never marketed as a prop replica. To me, the P1 looks like an excellent representation of what I saw in the film. Perhaps not 100% accurate, but more than good enough for me.

As you can see in my avatar,I'm a little more prone to the closed mouth look myself. I do like the head-on profile of that P1 head. I saw my friend's maquette in person. At one particular angle though it looks to have just a tad too much of an under bite,plus the odd fact that his was missing half the little lines on the left upper lip,probably made me focus a little more on the mouth.

I'm a stickler for detail. The jobs and hobbies I've typically had,revolved around that😀

We have the close mouth preference in common, cool.

I?m not into nitpicking statues though...Im pretty liberal about things...differences don?t bother me much...as long as it?s a killer piece, which this Dog is...

The closed mouth version was a must-have for me too. Somehow, it's got more personality and looks meaner. It's not in the middle of killing you, but it's thinking about it. :wink1:

As for accuracy, I don't really care if the rod puppet has 3 grooves in its armpit and the P1 has 2 (or whatever). I've never gone over the original props with a magnifying glass, so I wouldn't notice that kind of extreme detail. Also, the P1 was never marketed as a prop replica. To me, the P1 looks like an excellent representation of what I saw in the film. Perhaps not 100% accurate, but more than good enough for me.

My brother from another mother...

:D

[edit] I let Sideshow know about my issue just to test the waters and they said they are out of stock of the closed mouth head and offered me either a full refund or keep it and take a $120 store credit. Considering what a number of you had to go through with this piece and others, I consider myself lucky.

After paying $2000 and waiting for so long, I expected perfection, but I will keep the statue and take the store credit.

Mine arrived today, number 96/800 DX. It has some minor flaws, but otherwise looks great to me.

1. Closed mouth head dome has a tiny flaw on the top/middle of dome, and another on the left side. They are so small you have to really look for them, however. The open mouth bust is flawless as far as I can tell.

2. The left hand does not quite come all the way down, as at least a couple of other owners on this thread have reported. The seams looks good, though.

Other than that, looks great and I'm happy with it. It is friggin ginormous, though...holy crap...

IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1688.jpg
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1690.jpg
InkedIMG_1691_LI.jpg

Last edited:
It has some irregularities and is not to be considered 100 percent movie accurate, but what the hack. Nothing here is. The ADI is neither, as it is a recast of the paint approve maquette, therefor not even the Boss rod puppet nor the full size suit. Prime did a pretty good job, and considered what CoolProbs wanted to sell the collectors in the first place, a pure blessing for all it turned out so glorious.

It has some irregularities and is not to be considered 100 percent movie accurate, but what the hack. Nothing here is. The ADI is neither, as it is a recast of the paint approve maquette, therefor not even the Boss rod puppet nor the full size suit. Prime did a pretty good job, and considered what CoolProbs wanted to sell the collectors in the first place, a pure blessing for all it turned out so glorious.

The P1 isn't accurate to anything in the film.

I prefer the closed mount look as well. Never really cared for the other. I mean if I had 2 statues I would use both.

Sideshow told me first they were sent spare parts and then they are waiting for buyers returns to snag parts. WTF

Back