Common problems with SSW statues & busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that the pigtail of Gimli is very fragile. I broke it when I removed the statue from the box.
:cry

I find that the pigtail of Gimli is very fragile. I broke it when I removed the statue from the box.
Hmmm... Is it really broken? Because it is detachable and may look broken if you're not aware of that.

Hold the phone & Stop the Presses - Gimli's pigtail is detachable!?

I got mine a few weeks back and the pigtail was already in place, so I
never even looked to see if it was a separate piece.

You're 100% sure on this one Peter??

JS:wave

You're 100% sure on this one Peter??
Well, I just packed one for Jade (Mongrel) in the UK.
After Angelica's remark I was of course extra careful with the pigtail.
I noticed that it rested against the polystyren, so I removed a little of it. When I tried to see if that would do, I noticed that the tail wiggled a bit. I was gutted, because I thought that it had snapped.
However, when I looked closely, I noticed that even though it had some movement, it did not appear to be broken. That's when I found it was detachable.
So yes, I'm 100% positive! :b
Besides, would I post something like this if I was not competely sure? :lol

OK, OK You win Peter! :bow :bow :lol

I was gutted

I tell ya, this board must have more eviscerated/disemboweled
members with their intestines hanging out than any other board!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Seriously - every time I see somebody say they were "gutted"
all I can think of is the scene from Kill Bill with Go Go Yubari and
the unlucky young fellow she hits on. :eek :puke :rollin

JS:wave

Peter, you mean the pigtail isn’t really broken?!? I wish I knew that when I unpacked the statue. Anyway, I’ve ‘fixed’ the pigtail with glue, so it will never come off again… I still think though, that the tail is a very fragile part of Gimli, because it still wiggles a bit. :)

you mean the pigtail isn’t really broken
Well, broken items don't generally come off with a square plug of polystone fitting perfectly into the hole it just came out of :b
I wish I knew that when I unpacked the statue
Hehe, I only found out myself because of your posting :lol
I still think though, that the tail is a very fragile part of Gimli
Yep, I fully agree... it is fragile!

I noticed a big problem with these statues/busts is that they come w/ a damaged bank account..

:eek

Actually this isn't the first I have heard of the pigtail being detachable. A person over at lotrguide.com bought one and when it came the pigtail wasn't in it. None of us knew if it was broke or not. I have mine right here but I don't think I have the guts to mess with it.

UPDATED 20/07

Bodie, I could not resist to put your comments in there as well :rollin

repairs

What kind of material can you try the paint on before applying to polystone?

Broken or repaired

Iv also heard that Theodens scabbard is sometimes bent or broken off completely, may just have been a one off though! :b

Question

Lasher33,

Hi.. you know me.. you sold me the busts a couple of months ago. I was just wandering. I got all the busts now, but leave them in the box till I leave home. I unpacked a few and the white paper was sticking on the black base of the bust. I could not remove it easily. How do you advise me to do so?

greetz,
Robenim.
:toast

Re: Question

Interesting.. The Helm Lasher sent me had the white paper stuck to the base as well.. I wonder why this happens.. *ponders* I removed mine rather easily only after using a damp towel...

Re: Question

I too have found the base of one of my helms had the tissue paper stuck to it and was not able to be removed cleanly. The base is still 'tacky' to touch and appears to me to be touched-up possibly?

Any suggestions on dealing with paint that has not dried properly?

My Easterling had the 'fins' on top of his helmet broken off on arrival...

I've also spoken to a few others and all 3 had exactly the same problem, 1 shop was even selling it broken for £200 !!!

My SDCC Smeagol bust is not very stable. He always seems to be on the verge of falling flat on his face. Hasn't happened yet! (knock on wood)

Morgul Lord

I have noticed that the large front helm spike has a tendency to be curved slightly backward (like a crescent moon).

I have heard tell of some people using a hot hair dryer to heat it and bend it back into position. I have not done this with my statue because it scares me too much to attempt it.

B.

Re: Morgul Lord

B it's no biggie really, it's common on most Morgul Lords.

It just needs a gentle warm up...and you'll be able to straighten it up (don't worry, it won't snap!)

:p

Thanks for the great list!! I frankly can't see how the Arwen flower does NOT get broken!!! Why did they make that flower stem so VERY thin!??? It's lovely, but it snaps much too easily, like a little tiny icicle: you merely touch and it snaps off. :(

Back