commission an artist for chewbacca, r2d2 and c3po

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you pay to have a board artist commissioned for a forgotten core character?

• Total voters
It boggles my mind how some people think that SS is intentionally not making sure fire selling figures. Darth Vader, Chewbacca, C-3P0, R2-D2, Stormtoopers and Clonetroopers are all on the idea table and like most of them in R&D. People want them, they're well aware of that, but they are also working to get them right after the complaints about Vader PF and such, and working to keep cost down because they're not looking to have their figures enter the $150 range. We're getting repeat Lukes and such because they're easily done and popular over a large group of collectors. In the end, they are a business and have to look at numbers and everything and go with items that aren't going to collect dust on shelves and have to take a hit on their investment. Greedo for example, could easily be done and be cool, but who's to say outside of the few hundred of us around here, he'd be all that popular. Granted you have Landos and Tarkins and other humans could be done that are popular, but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, we do know that LFL can be a pain in the ass from Sideshow and MR, so that could hold up things too. Hell, LFL maybe be the final say in some character choices. There's just too much unknown about how this line is developed to make assumptions on why we see what we see from it. All we can do is take each thing as it comes and have faith that Sideshow's looking out for our best interest to a point with this line.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself!

seems to me that you are purposely trying to derail this thread. i'm sure your reading comprehension is sufficient to understand 'i wanted to see how many people actually want the characters listed.' seems pretty clear to me. maybe if sideshow saw actual numbers of the people that want these important characters to the sw collection, they'll move them up on their schedule. there's no reason for you to queer that.

Everyone wants these characters. Aside from Vader, they're probably the top most wanted characters in Star Wars. Do you really think that Sideshow doesn't know that? I think it's obvious that you decided to change this to a "fantasy poll" after it was pointed out to you that it wasn't realistic to actually commission an artist to do these, and getting snippy with people isn't really called for.

But just for the record, the reason these characters haven't been made is that they are technically a lot more difficult than a normal human. The droids would require full-body sculpts that would be quite complicated if you want to get them properly articulated, and chewie would require a very large body with either actual fur (which is hard to do correctly) or a full-body sculpt. Sideshow wants to release these as much as we want to buy them, since they would be sure-fire sellers for them.

Sure I'd consider buying some nice sculpts of Chewie and the two droids, but I can be patient enough to wait for Sideshow to do them down the road. :D

I think it's obvious that you decided to change this to a "fantasy poll" after it was pointed out to you that it wasn't realistic to actually commission an artist to do these, and getting snippy with people isn't really called for.

the poll was changed to 'fantasy' with big letters for the ones that are looking for a debate rather than having some fun. EVERYONE knows that you can't just go and produce popular movie characters without a license. the true spirit of this poll is dead. seems to me the friendliness on this board goes out the window when star wars is mentioned. and my 'snippy' as you put it was a knee jerk reaction to the 'defenders of the sw line' freaks. and that was not meant in a good way.

admins, please lock this thread.

the poll was changed to 'fantasy' with big letters for the ones that are looking for a debate rather than having some fun. EVERYONE knows that you can't just go and produce popular movie characters without a license. the true spirit of this poll is dead. seems to me the friendliness on this board goes out the window when star wars is mentioned. and my 'snippy' as you put it was a knee jerk reaction to the 'defenders of the sw line' freaks. and that was not meant in a good way.

Tylerd you posted it in the wrong forum imho

I posted something in a similar vein in another forum (on these boards)

The project didnt get off the ground but the feedback was generally constructive

I don't think they are generally able to take commissions for products or licenses that are held by companies they work for. I remember Andy posted something about this during the time he was making some headsculpts.

Also, I'm fine waiting until Sideshow releases them.

ditto. :chew:chew:chew

The poll question is "would you pay to have a board artist commissioned for a forgotten core character?" but "no" isn't an option?

My answer is "no". I'll wait for SS to get around to them.

It boggles my mind how some people think that SS is intentionally not making sure fire selling figures. Darth Vader, Chewbacca, C-3P0, R2-D2, Stormtoopers and Clonetroopers are all on the idea table and like most of them in R&D. People want them, they're well aware of that, but they are also working to get them right after the complaints about Vader PF and such, and working to keep cost down because they're not looking to have their figures enter the $150 range. We're getting repeat Lukes and such because they're easily done and popular over a large group of collectors. In the end, they are a business and have to look at numbers and everything and go with items that aren't going to collect dust on shelves and have to take a hit on their investment. Greedo for example, could easily be done and be cool, but who's to say outside of the few hundred of us around here, he'd be all that popular. Granted you have Landos and Tarkins and other humans could be done that are popular, but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, we do know that LFL can be a pain in the ass from Sideshow and MR, so that could hold up things too. Hell, LFL maybe be the final say in some character choices. There's just too much unknown about how this line is developed to make assumptions on why we see what we see from it. All we can do is take each thing as it comes and have faith that Sideshow's looking out for our best interest to a point with this line.

Luke is popular but so are the other hundred SW characters, so that makes no sense, if their looking for sales stormtrooper is a no brainer. But SS was behind the 20 buffy characters that destroyed the line, and we had to wait forever for giles. I left that line for those reasons. Its easy to kill a line. I would like to see more creativeness from SS. The PF Scout was a great idea, how about Emperor in a throne, or LOTR THeoden on Throne like Dr. Doom. The art of the piece is a major plus.

Yes, stormtrooper is a no brainer, but again, they're trying to achieve certain things, so they're releasing non-armored right now. I just think people would be silly to think that Sideshow isn't aware of how popular Stormtroopers, Vader, Clonetroopers, Chewie, R2 and 3PO are, the know it and they're going to deliver them but under the circumstances they wish to.

Dude, you seriously need to chill out, don't get pissy that people didn't follow your concept because you poorly executed it.

When people start threads about commissioning artists, that is done with an intent to actually start a commission, like the Hurrican Vader/Luke heads.

If your intent was to see how popular these characters are with folks around here, you should have just started a poll of something like How Much Do You Want These Characters. You had a fine idea but the execution just confused people so you set your own thread up for issues.

Back