College Football 2011 thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the sorriest ass games I've seen in a long time. I should have watched the OSU/KSU game.

Don't kid yourselves LSU and Bama fans, both your QBs suck and there's a tinge of incompetence to both your offenses.
Though I agree that neither team has a great QB, again, that game was the way it was because of the defenses and defenses alone. It was a great game from a defensive standpoint, just like a Steelers/Ravens game can be great without having either team score over 10 points. I do love great QB play, but a great QB can only do so much against great teams. And LSU specifically has shown how little the QB matters when you have a great team around them. LSU's titles over the past decade were achieved with game manager-type QBs, which is what Jefferson is.

As for being a great national title game, the purpose is to establish who the best team in college football is, not to put on an entertaining circus show between high powered offenses. No doubt, you can see that in other bowl games.

Their D, it's a bender designed to force turnovers and feed em to to Weeden and Blackmon.
That's how the Saints won the Superbowl a couple years ago. So of course, there's that chance if they can score early and often than a team like that can compete with anybody when they force their opponent to become one-dimensional playing "catch-up". But I do think there is a huge discrepancy in the size and ability of linemen across college teams that you just don't see in the pros. LSU's linemen are NFL ready, and if team A's QB can't get time to throw and can't find a rhythm, while the defense of their can't get pressure on team B's QB and get pushed around by those big boys opening up the running game, then that's a huge hurdle to overcome.

Looks like they just need to cancel the rest of the season and give LSU the MNC cause no one else has a chance but Alabama, apparently.
:yess:

I actually hope Alabama does fall below Stanford. I like LSU's chances against OK St. or Stanford much better than going against Alabama a second time :panic:

I dont know Oregon pretty much proved you move the ball and put up points against LSU.

And Oregon proved they couldn't put up enough points against LSU to win the game.

Yeah, I think the spread offense is great and I'd take it against any team in the country. Some teams run the spread badly but not many are running it as good as Okla State nor have the horses on offense that they do.

He probably hasn't that is true. However, I think he's good enough to figure out how to get things going.

I'd say Oregon runs the spread offense just as well as Okla State and definitely have the horses on offense that Okla State has.

I did give Luck credit and say he'd have 3 TDs vs LSU's defense...I just don't think it would be enough.

Who is hating? See my post #361. I wanted LSU to win because of my dislike for Nick Saban.

Tonight's game was miserable. When you have 2 QBs (LSU), it really means you have none. Would I rather see OSU, Stanford or Boise State in the title game, yup! Will I see LSU get there, probably.

I just hope LSU stumbles against Arkansas. Bobby Petrino is a bum for quitting on the Atlanta Falcons but he's a damn good college coach (Louisville and Arkansas).

You're hating....you say above you hope LSU stumbles? Why, because of LSU's low offensive output in 1 out of 9 games? In the first 8 games, LSU averaged 35+ points.

Last night's game was two teams playing to their strengths: incredible defense and rushing attack.

Yeah but Luck is smarted then any QB LSU has ever seen too so you dont think he can figure it out.?

The problem Stanford would have is they dont have the talent of LSU but what do you expect as very few top level D1 players could ever get into Stanford let alone stay illegible.

Luck could figure some of it out and I think it would be an incredible game. I just don't think Stanford has enough horses to keep up with LSU's defensive and offensive speed. And your 2nd statement is exactly why. I personally feel it's remarkable what Stanford has been able to do the last few years with the talent they have.

If it was all that easy to decide, they wouldn't play the games. ESPN and sports radio jockeys can spin stuff however they want it doesn't mean anything. (and is there any more of a pointless job than a sports analyst? If it wasn't for gambling no one would watch them.) Anything can happen in a game. Turnover, injury, turf monster, ego.

All I'm saying is the undefeated OSU with their O and a takeaway D have a chance to win it all. The path is there for them.

As for being a great national title game, the purpose is to establish who the best team in college football is, not to put on an entertaining circus show between high powered offenses. No doubt, you can see that in other bowl games.

Who said anything about an "entertaining circus show?" :dunno I don't want to see a 45-42 game either.

I just don't want to see a 9-6 snooze fest with incompetent QBs and then have homers like 316what pass it off as a defensive battle without acknowledging bad offensive play.

I'd say Oregon runs the spread offense just as well as Okla State and definitely have the horses on offense that Okla State has.

I did give Luck credit and say he'd have 3 TDs vs LSU's defense...I just don't think it would be enough.

They run it fairly well but not as smooth as OSU runs it. As far as having the horses I don't think they do they have a great RB but that's it. OSU runs it the way you should with a QB that is a passing QB. Oregon has the typical athletic QB that is run first pass second. That's not how you run the spread at its highest efficiency.

You did I just don't think LSU will score enough to be honest. I know they avg 35 but I think last night showed against a good team they have to pray their D is good enough.

Man, Stanford must be a nice school to have signed a bunch of homeless nobodies. It is amazing they're ranked #3 with a bunch of scrubs. :lol

I don't think you get my point theJosh, which is that Stanford has to work with guys who can excel academically, and presumably doesn't have the resources of a major football school like an LSU or USC to recruit the best players around. That's gonna necessarily restrict the amount of pure, raw talent you have on the field. It is a testament to the coaching staff and the effort of the players that they are able to over-achieve as they have. It took Harbaugh to come in with a truly exceptional ability to recruit, motivate, and coach that made them a top-tier college football team.

In the past I would agree they would be going above and beyond their talent. However, as you said the culture there has been changed and they've been getting top tier talent so I don't think they're in that same boat now. As far as resources I think they're getting quite a bit and my guess more than enough to be on the level of most schools at the top level.

Last edited:
New BCS standings come out tonight at 7:15 CT.

Some Espn radio analyst guy is predicting that Alabama will drop down below Boise State. :panic:

EDIT: I'll believe it when I see it. Analysts have been wrong many times before.

Last edited:
Who said anything about an "entertaining circus show?" :dunno I don't want to see a 45-42 game either.

I just don't want to see a 9-6 snooze fest with incompetent QBs and then have homers like 316what pass it off as a defensive battle without acknowledging bad offensive play.

I've never said LSU has a great defense. They have a very good running game and lackluster passing game. LSU has been built this way for 10+ years: rushing attack, defense and game manager QB.

In the past I would agree they would be going above and beyond their talent. However, as you said the culture there has been changed and they've been getting top tier talent so I don't think they're in that same boat now. As far as resources I think they're getting quite a bit and my guess more than enough to be on the level of most schools at the top level.
Stanford can get some talented players but they can't consistently get close to the talent any other top level Division 1 college. I would say a small % of top 150 recruits nation wide could get into Stanford even on an athletic scholarship.

Ok here is an example. Its kinda old example but gives you an idea of the requirements. Back when the requirement for athletic scholarship was 2.0 GPA in core classes and 700 SAT to get a scholarship at Stanford you needed a minimum 3.5 GPA in college prep classes and at least a SAT score of 1100-1200.

New BCS standings come out tonight at 7:15 CT.

Some Espn radio analyst guy is predicting that Alabama will drop down below Boise State. :panic:

EDIT: I'll believe it when I see it. Analysts have been wrong many times before.
Unless the computers kill them they will be ahead of BSU. They only dropped to 4 in the polls.

Stanford can get some talented players but they can't consistently get close to the talent any other top level Division 1 college. I would say a small % of top 150 recruits nation wide could get into Stanford even on an athletic scholarship.

Ok here is an example. Its kinda old example but gives you an idea of the requirements. Back when the requirement for athletic scholarship was 2.0 GPA in core classes and 700 SAT to get a scholarship at Stanford you needed a minimum 3.5 GPA in college prep classes and at least a SAT score of 1100-1200.

No arguments its harder to get in there.

BCS Standings (10-30-11)

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma State
4. Stanford
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma
7. Arkansas
8. Oregon
9. South Carolina
10. Nebraska

BCS Standings (11-06-11)

1. LSU
2. Oklahoma State
3. Alabama
4. Stanford
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma
7. Oregon
8. Arkansas
9. Clemson
10.Virginia Tech

~Alabama moved down only 1 spot. :slap

Computer polls hate Stanford. Seems its time for all those smart kids at Stanford to take out the computers.:lol

BCS Standings (11-06-11)

1. LSU
2. Oklahoma State
3. Alabama
4. Stanford
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma
7. Oregon
8. Arkansas
9. Clemson
10.Virginia Tech

~Alabama moved down only 1 spot. :slap

It's pathetic really. I had guessed they would drop to the 4 spot. But nope. Only one spot after having the crappiest offensive game I've seen in a while. (yes, their defense is fantastic, one of the best in the country, blah blah. I know.) Their stellar defense doesn't change the fact that they missed 4 field goals and made it to the red zone once the entire game.

Computer polls hate Stanford. Seems its time for all those smart kids at Stanford to take out the computers.:lol

haha :yess:

Back