Collecting in a Down Economy...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have the $ now is the time to buy for a lot of things. I sold 2 items 1-2 weeks ago, on one I had someone asking for a best price as they thought my asking price was high. A week later someone else bought the same item no questions asked. Money is tight all around and I doubt there's ever really any "extra", but some people do have it to spend even now.

I keep thinking "what if this is really it?"

We've spent our whole lives chasing these little plastic men and comic books and posters or whatever....but just like that, it could all be meaningless in an instant.

We all have stuff on pre-order...well maybe none of it will get made at all. Toys are not essential. Maybe this is it for collecting. All that's out there is all there will ever be, and they're not gonna make any more cause keeping people alive is more important than grown men having little dolls to collect.

It was a fun ride while it lasted.

I assume future generations will look with curiosity at the few collectibles that survive the purge. (Most of our stuff is going to be confiscated and recycled for resources, undoubtedly, so very few toys are going to be around.) I wonder if they'll think they're cool and assign value to them, or if they'll just think it's ridiculous that humans were once so safe and wealthy and well-fed that they could spend hundreds of dollars on a replica of a guy in a costume.

Imagine a world where something as loathsome as a Secret Wars Kang or a Jyn Erso figure could someday have value or meaning to it, like the glass paperweight in "1984."

If this is "it", then so be it. If not, we'll continue once this is "over" and the collectibles market will continue. Remember that it's not just plastic and polystone going through this and perceived value / desire come and go on an individual basis and in a particular collecting community as a whole. Things that were high $ are now less than what they were as new (and possibly better) versions continue to come out.

If anything now is a time to review, reflect and prioritize (on a lot of things).

Some industries might not come back, or if they do, they’ll be drastically different than pre 2020. Printed comics will probably be mostly dead at the end of this

Yah maybe, I thought after the 90's (I'm looking at you Image) printed comics were on it's way out. And they've only gotten more expensive. The last few times I've gone through a comic shop I've seen books that look interesting because I know the character or the art looks good but collecting monthly is not high on my priority list.

I think floppies deserve to go extinct. They haven't been sold in grocery stores or newsstands in forever, and that was the whole point. Obviously there's still a market for trades.

But what I was getting at before is, what if this is going to go beyond that? What if this really IS the end of civilization that doomsday preppers have been waiting for? If you listen to the news (bad idea) it seems like we're just a few months away from actual Mad Max scenarios. We're not gonna have much time to worry about toys and comics when food and water are all we care about.

Ah, who am I kidding....I'll be one of the first to go. I'm 42 and I'm fat as hell. I'll make a delicious meal for the first gang of cannibals to spot me.

Oh man. I just said they were gonna eat me. Thanks so much for pointing out that they're gonna rape me first.

Ah, who am I kidding....I'll be one of the first to go. I'm 42 and I'm fat as hell. I'll make a delicious meal for the first gang of cannibals to spot me.

Are you currently working?

If not now's a great time to try something new and gain a different perspective on yourself and your current reality.

Oh man. I just said they were gonna eat me. Thanks so much for pointing out that they're gonna rape me first.

Well, you have to admit, it will be a shame to waste a pre-meal, perfectly good rape. You can't expect them to go out and rape on full bellies....Waste the calories and all.

I think floppies deserve to go extinct. They haven't been sold in grocery stores or newsstands in forever, and that was the whole point. Obviously there's still a market for trades.

But what I was getting at before is, what if this is going to go beyond that? What if this really IS the end of civilization that doomsday preppers have been waiting for? If you listen to the news (bad idea) it seems like we're just a few months away from actual Mad Max scenarios. We're not gonna have much time to worry about toys and comics when food and water are all we care about.

Sounds a bit more like The Hills Have Eyes.

I keep thinking "what if this is really it?"

We've spent our whole lives chasing these little plastic men and comic books and posters or whatever....but just like that, it could all be meaningless in an instant.

We all have stuff on pre-order...well maybe none of it will get made at all. Toys are not essential. Maybe this is it for collecting. All that's out there is all there will ever be, and they're not gonna make any more cause keeping people alive is more important than grown men having little dolls to collect.

It was a fun ride while it lasted.

I assume future generations will look with curiosity at the few collectibles that survive the purge. (Most of our stuff is going to be confiscated and recycled for resources, undoubtedly, so very few toys are going to be around.) I wonder if they'll think they're cool and assign value to them, or if they'll just think it's ridiculous that humans were once so safe and wealthy and well-fed that they could spend hundreds of dollars on a replica of a guy in a costume.

Imagine a world where something as loathsome as a Secret Wars Kang or a Jyn Erso figure could someday have value or meaning to it, like the glass paperweight in "1984."

What is your issue with the Secret Wars Kang figure, Clyde?

If you listen to the news (bad idea) it seems like we're just a few months away from actual Mad Max scenarios.

It does?

Britain:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...teran-lays-out-coronavirus-immunization-plans

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-covid-19-vaccines-before-proof-idUSKBN21Z25M

Granted, these would be distributed before proof, but it's a sign that the process is being expedited. What usually takes one to two years may take less than one, with research continuing every step of the way.

US:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/jj-...ne-doses-by-april-2021-if-trials-go-well.html

Neither of these solutions are overnight or even 100% concrete, but it may be a port in the storm.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not seeing ebay prices going down on the stuff I have watched, if anything the prices have risen in most cases. I suspect that it's because nothing new is coming out so folks are chasing older stuff they want.

I managed to get 2 long sought after figures this month close to retail and way cheaper than had been going for.

SSC Freddy For 219
HT Alien Warrior 235

The retail shops are no lowering prices but the average Joe is.......

Just need to look for those auctions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back