Collectibes - "Take it or leave it." or "Made-to-Order."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. But that does not seem like the best business model to me. In my opinion, the customer should come first over artistic integrity, especially on mass produced HIGH end pieces.

No.

And as for who to cater to, my notion is you don't cater. You say I'm going to make a product, here you go people buy it or leave it and let people feel how they do towards it. Ignoring the demands of the dissatisfied may seem like favoring to the satisfied, but really it's just standing behind the choices you made with the item.

In a way, I'm saying nothing should be made to match what people want, it should stay as it is where they take a guess at what people might want or they feel is a good presentation and leave it up to people to want it or not because there'll never be complete agreement on what people want, someone will always "lose" but at least if it's the manufacturer making the choice, then it's fair.

Challenger > Camaro > Mustang

If you want a overweight pig that isn't selling that well.

Camaro>Mustang> Challenger.

Why would you buy a Muscle car in Automatic?

So you can take a sip of your Sonic vanilla coke as you pass the other guy. Auto + 3500 stall = automagic. No "i missed a shift" excuses.

I'll never own any of them, probably couldn't fit in them either, so no matter what, they'll always be > than what I own :lol

I'm 6'4" and fit in my Camaro fine.

Gotcha. But that does not seem like the best business model to me. In my opinion, the customer should come first over artistic integrity, especially on mass produced HIGH end pieces.

To some degree they do, like I mentioned, when people want better paint jobs or better clothing materials or sewing, these companies demonstrate efforts with each new release to act upon those solicitations.

Some things should be left at take it or leave it though, or like I said, solicit input before you make it, let everyone have a chance to be heard, make a decision based on the feedback you get and put something out there. Pulling a switch-a-roo to me is more shady than not giving people what they want and probably why no company has cross that line yet because they're doing fine without caving in to certain requests and know that giving in to certain things could piss people off more than win favor.

Present of course

Past would be:
Camaro>Challenger>Mustang.

But, my uncle raced Camaro's so I am biased.

Oh sorry I mean't past or present in regards to an automatic transmission. Past i'd take either but the automatics were most popular and present yes manual is the way to go. BUT even though automatic (Can't you get a new Challenger in Manual?) I would take the Challenger over them all.

There is also alot of history with Camaro's in my family too ............. not racing but amazing cars in general. I have a cousin in B.C. that has an all numbers matching 69' Camaro RS SS. Its one of the most amazing automobiles I have ever seen.

Oh sorry I mean't past or present in regards to an automatic transmission. Past i'd take either but the automatics were most popular and present yes manual is the way to go. BUT even though automatic (Can't you get a new Challenger in Manual?) I would take the Challenger over them all.

There is also alot of history with Camaro's in my family too ............. not racing but amazing cars in general. I have a cousin in B.C. that has an all numbers matching 69' Camaro RS SS. Its one of the most amazing automobiles I have ever seen.

New challengers are automatic only. Weird eh?
I did my homework last year, I was saving money to buy a new car and upgrade my 92 Volvo. Saved up some cash and was deciding models....then I found this site. The rest is history..... I sure do love my 92 Volvo :)

These are premium collectibles, not $19.99 Hasbro/Mattel/Kenner plastic figures you pick up at Toys R' Us. If companies like Sideshow or Bowen want to continue to entice high end collectors, they better listen to feedback. Expensive statues going unsold or returned can really hurt and a happy fan base is crucial to that company's long-term profitability.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for artistic touch, but sometimes the producer needs to make what the fans want instead of what they want.

Maybe this is a silly discussion, but I'm feeling the need to bring it up.

Sideshow's always been open to having things pointed out by collectors, like Plo Koon's lightsaber color, for example. Over the past couple years, Hot Toys has come to be receptive to fan feedback on products.

However, it seems like this is spawning this collector mindset where people expect the prototype to be like a menu item in a restaurant, say a burger, and then they get to say I want it rare, with cheese, with tomato, yadi yadi yada. People seem almost waiting to pull the trigger that as soon as a piece debuts, they're going to start finding the areas where they would do different and go to the level of sending it to the manufacturer as a suggestion.

I'm for the improvement of products and all, and I've participated in the analysis discussions and helped even identify and submit things.

However, I'm really starting to scratch my head at how much this is becoming the norm, whatever happened to a company makes a product and you either like it how it's done or you don't.

Perhaps because other statue companies like Bowen Designs offer fan interaction and WIP of sculpted statues. Even if you dont like Bowen Designs you have to give Randy Bowen credit for listening to fans and taking suggestions and opinions of the fans to heart(as can be seen on Statue Marvels.com where he interacts daily with fans). I have seen this guy pull sculpts of statues when the WIP was negative from fans. This practice is also smart business on the behalf of Sideshow and might save there arse from laying a rotten on the market. I also feel in this instance that perhaps Sideshow would be wise to heed the fans and take a look at the negative reception on not just this forum but also on others such as Statue Forum to name a few.

New challengers are automatic only. Weird eh?
I did my homework last year, I was saving money to buy a new car and upgrade my 92 Volvo. Saved up some cash and was deciding models....then I found this site. The rest is history..... I sure do love my 92 Volvo :)

Weird indeed. Then again Dodge also made the Charger (My childhood favorite car ever) a standard 4 door. Go figure. I suppose the Camaro is the way to go. Automatic would be fun but not something i'd want in a "new" car. The Challenger just looks amazing.

Weird indeed. Then again Dodge also made the Charger (My childhood favorite car ever) a standard 4 door. Go figure. I suppose the Camaro is the way to go. Automatic would be fun but not something i'd want in a "new" car. The Challenger just looks amazing.

Agreed. It looks like its from the past, but redone perfectly. Although I do like the looks of new mustangs too and they can be wayyyy more affordable. Unfortunately the shat interior would not last long in my opinion.

These are premium collectibles, not $19.99 Hasbro/Mattel/Kenner plastic figures you pick up at Toys R' Us. If companies like Sideshow or Bowen want to continue to entice high end collectors, they better listen to feedback. Expensive statues going unsold or returned can really hurt and a happy fan base is crucial to that company's long-term profitability.

At least it's the company that loses, and the collector is somewhat protected, which I like about how things are done now. Sideshow takes stabs sometimes and it doesn't work out but there are a few that benefit from their taking a shot and they seem ok with it. If you're going to be open to completely overhauling a product then you should involve the collectors in the entire process, that's the fairest route.

Perhaps because other statue companies like Bowen Designs offer fan interaction and WIP of sculpted statues. Even if you dont like Bowen Designs you have to give Randy Bowen credit for listening to fans and taking suggestions and opinions of the fans to heart(as can be seen on Statue Marvels.com where he interacts daily with fans). I have seen this guy pull sculpts of statues when the WIP was negative from fans. This practice is also smart business on the behalf of Sideshow and might save there arse from laying a rotten on the market. I also feel in this instance that perhaps Sideshow would be wise to heed the fans and take a look at the negative reception on not just this forum but also on others such as Statue Forum to name a few.

Taking feedback at WIP stage is a good way of handling things, and I'm fine with that, at that stage you haven't had the opportunity to purchase something and been given the opportunity to get excited about owning it, you still have no idea what the final offered item would be.

I'm talking about certain things happening after you're allowed to place an order and get excited about it. To me, it'd be a lousy way to treat collectors to give them that opportunity and then strip it away because some people weren't happy. Either release a follow up piece, like HT does with some of their figures (love it or hate) or take the feedback and consider the thoughts on future products, but don't pull the rug out from under the folks you pleased the first go around.

What you don't see is if the new Chevy Mustang debuts and a few thousand people write in saying the head light should be slightly reshaped and the grill shrunk a bit, Chevy going and doing that.

But you see a few thousand fans complaining that Bumblebee is a Camaro instead of a VW Beetle or that Optimus went from a Peterbilt to a Kenworth with flames.

There are a lot of great opinions in this thread which makes it hard to say something that hasn't already been said.

I have yet to see SS drastically alter a production piece due to consumers feedback on a prototype. Will it ever happen?...Who knows, but there is a lot of speculation going around in this thread.

It has been proven that a companies success, be it hasbro, toyota, etc. depends largely on how well it caters to its consumer base. After all the "customer is always right" rings true.

MaulFan does bring up an interesting point though. I understand your "take-it-or-leave-it" concept very well, and it makes a lot of sense. A company needs to balance these issues together though. They should cater to a certain degree. And they should also back the products they produce. Both are key in raising a company to the top.

We all win some, and we all lose some. Some collectibles are going to disappoint us. It's the nature of the game we play. Changing a disappointment may not be in the cards for us, but I'm sure everyone agrees that we always hope that SS, or any other company, will at least take our feedback to heart, and will improve upon themselves with their future releases. That is the bare minimum any company should do.

Now that I've said all that I really don't think you have anything to worry about MaulFan as I've never seen them change a piece like that.

Back