Collectibes - "Take it or leave it." or "Made-to-Order."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You NAILED it Valfar!

3404_press01-001.jpg

:lol :lol :lol Its so true.

I'm fine with whatever they give me and I'll either buy it or I won't but I'm not going to sit and ^^^^^ about every little detail.

The collectible realm is much more personal than the mass-produced toy field. Collectible companies manufacture specialized products directed at a MUCH smaller audience than guys like Hasbro and Mattel (though they also do their own select "collectible" stuff with some of their more popular lines) and so they have to be wary of their customers or else they could alienate them. If the collectibles don't meet the overall customer's satisfaction...then they can distance their buyers.

Of course the collectible companies also makes a bad habit of somewhat "abusing" this relationship by offering the "special limited" exclusives and such that can reach outrageous amounts on the secondary market...but it helps them with profits.

Overall, if they "leave it"...then their customers will do the same and "leave it" as well. Right on their shelves where no one will be buying it.

Short run, I guess the lesson is you cannot please everyone?

You won't, which is why better to just do it how you want and those that will be pleased with it will and those that won't won't and that's the end of it, no room for the pleased to become displeased like in your example.

There's a difference between right to speak up and being heard and acted upon. I'm not trying to say I'm again people speaking criticisms, but when it gets to the point of almost demanded requests and potentially going to be heard, then it concerns me. If 100 people are happy with something and 10 aren't and those 10 go and press for something to be changed to their liking and the 100 don't like it, who are the 10 to dictate what the option is for the 100 that are happy. If the company dictate's it outright and stands behind their position, then it's all choice and free will. If you don't like it, you might end up dreaming about what could have been, but at least you never had the chance to get your dream, if your shown your dream and then someone takes it away, that'd suck.

MaulFan, believe me, I get what your saying, but you got you statistics a little skewed. In regards to Rambo, what about when 90 people are saying we want some form of modification and 3 are saying we need changes. Did Spock not teach us that it is logical that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few:D
Especially when it comes to a poll, Is this not the principle democracy is founded on?

MaulFan, believe me, I get what your saying, but you got you statistics a little skewed. In regards to Rambo, what about when 90 people are saying we want some form of modification and 3 are saying we need changes. Did Spock not teach us that it is logical that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few:D
Especially when it comes to a poll, Is this not the principle democracy is founded on?

Did you just quote Spock? We're not friends anymore.

20080819010812.jpg

SpockSalute.jpg

In regards to Rambo, what about when 90 people are saying we want some form of modification and 3 are saying we need changes.

Because the people who want it as is currently have the option to get that, and just because some folks are unhappy, why should the option to get what they want be taken away from the people already content.

People have been given a chance to like it already, and I think it would be wrong if the dissatisfied were influential in altering an item to their liking and taking away the right of the satisfied to have what they expected they could get.

Which is why I said it'd be one thing if there was voting and discussion before any product existed as a possiblity to buy, but once that's been put out there, it should be left to the consumer to want it as is or don't and hold out that what they want gets made someday.

And this isn't just because of the Rambo thing, there were suggestions being tossed around about DX Joker that were more personal preference that would have ruined the figure for many, things about DX Batman, about the ALIEN.

Factual things I support being looked for and commented on and reacted to, but personal preferences I hope remain simply shared opinons and not acted upon words.

That's usually how it works, you either want it or dont. You don't like the new iPod, you go out and buy something else, you don't like a Mustang you buy a Charger.

What you don't see is if the new Chevy Mustang debuts and a few thousand people write in saying the head light should be slightly reshaped and the grill shrunk a bit, Chevy going and doing that.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chevy makes the Camaro
Ford makes the Mustang

Yea I think it would suck to have something taken away that I loved, but I still think that majority trumps all though and that the responsible decision is to give the majority the improvements than to upset the herd to please the few (and Im talking 3 here). But watch this backfire completely and they resculpt it in a way that makes nobody happy. We will all owe you a huge apology:(

in all seriousness,
would you like me to delete the Poll thread?

Because the people who want it as is currently have the option to get that, and just because some folks are unhappy, why should the option to get what they want be taken away from the people already content.

People have been given a chance to like it already, and I think it would be wrong if the dissatisfied were influential in altering an item to their liking and taking away the right of the satisfied to have what they expected they could get.

Which is why I said it'd be one thing if there was voting and discussion before any product existed as a possiblity to buy, but once that's been put out there, it should be left to the consumer to want it as is or don't and hold out that what they want gets made someday.

And this isn't just because of the Rambo thing, there were suggestions being tossed around about DX Joker that were more personal preference that would have ruined the figure for many, things about DX Batman, about the ALIEN.

Factual things I support being looked for and commented on and reacted to, but personal preferences I hope remain simply shared opinons and not acted upon words.

That's usually how it works, you either want it or dont. You don't like the new iPod, you go out and buy something else, you don't like a Mustang you buy a Charger.

in all seriousness,
would you like me to delete the Poll thread?

No.

And as for who to cater to, my notion is you don't cater. You say I'm going to make a product, here you go people buy it or leave it and let people feel how they do towards it. Ignoring the demands of the dissatisfied may seem like favoring to the satisfied, but really it's just standing behind the choices you made with the item.

In a way, I'm saying nothing should be made to match what people want, it should stay as it is where they take a guess at what people might want or they feel is a good presentation and leave it up to people to want it or not because there'll never be complete agreement on what people want, someone will always "lose" but at least if it's the manufacturer making the choice, then it's fair.

Back