Collectibes - "Take it or leave it." or "Made-to-Order."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolverine. :rolleyes:

It's obvious to me that people see what they want to see. Everyone gets a say and we learn something, not always about the figure. Take it or leave it has always been the only choice. It's not always that black or white for everyone. Any thread could have someone post "take it or leave it" as the next post, and then if we were all in agreement, we could each type, 'Yeah, you're right', 'Yeah, I guess', and variations thereof.

I love collecting, but I don't think I've ever been so clung to the idea of getting a piece that if someone made one and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, I clung to the idea of getting it and gave my all to have it changed just the way I want it to be, and if I do, I hope someone smacks me in the head because that seems like the line between a healthy hobby and an unhealthy obsession.
That's some sentence. Take Jack Sparrow. Is changing it after it comes out any less an unhealthy obsession to discuss?

What I think you're suffering from is forum fever. You're reading the same things over and over again, and if it annoys you once, well it's going to compound. You just have to accept. Some people feel compelled to communicate their thoughts when something sparks a response reflex. Threads wind their own way along. We have just as much choice by saying, speak up or stfu, so we speak up. People hear that companies read these forums, so they have this forum as their only opportunity to have their voices heard. It never used to be like this but this is the way it's gone. You can speak up just as much to change things back. Your suppositions are adding to your dilemma. Whose to say Hot Toys has ever listened to their customers? They show a prototype, for which they intend improvements to be made, then you maybe don't like their changes. It'll drive you mad (refer Michael Jackson smile debacle). Then I came along this....

w9dxdv.jpg

....smack in the head to follow at the next opportunity.

MaulFan, come back to the reservation, bro. There's nothing that should rationally be considered "dark" or "alarming" about any of this.

And 95% of the collectibles we discuss here are products first and foremost, not art. And products are always consumer-driven, and have been that way since the dawn of man.

Take a step back, take a deep breath and don't waste your time trying to boil the ocean.

:duff

"Take it or leave it." = GG
"Made-to-Order." = Sideshow

That how I have always felt.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. I love Sideshow to death and 85% of my collection is their stuff, but Sideshow isn't made to order.

Just off the top of my head:

When the tactical dead came out green, it was take it or leave it. I canceled mine and proceeded to sell off the dead figures I had and drop the line.

Faramir came out with one of the worst paint jobs in SS history, and it was take it or leave it. HT was unhappy with John Connor paint and issued new painted heads.

Beyond changing plo's saber to blue and including a Stormtrooper blaster with a Han or whatever, I don't recall Sideshow listening to the fans and making a change once a prototype is shown.

Beyond changing plo's saber to blue and including a Stormtrooper blaster with a Han or whatever, I don't recall Sideshow listening to the fans and making a change once a prototype is shown.

Just off the top of my head...

Clone Trooper helmet

Anakin PF

Dooku PF

Indy 12" belt color

Aragorn PF headsculpt was changed from PF to production, too (arguably not for the better, but still tweaked).

I'm sure there are a few more. Yes, more often than not it is what it is when it comes to Sideshow, but I think they do make changes more often than some realize. I think it has more to do with just how strong the feedback is coupled with how far along they are in the production process. And, of course, the nature of any change requested. Head sculpts and actor likeness is a huge one, imho. That can absolutely make or break a product. And when we're talking $300 statues...

I'm sure there are a few more. Yes, more often than not it is what it is when it comes to Sideshow, but I think they do make changes more often than some realize. I think it has more to do with just how strong the feedback is coupled with how far along they are in the production process. And, of course, the nature of any change requested. Head sculpts and actor likeness is a huge one, imho. That can absolutely make or break a product. And when we're talking $300 statues...

Yeah I was oversimplifying the matter. But still SS gives a lot more ear to collectors than most companies.

At the end of the day, here's why the "Take it or leave it" option is never a good one for a business (which, like it or not, exists in order to make money):

When a large majority of your customer base is very unsatisfied with a product at the prototype/offering stage, you're pretty much screwing yourself if you don't take that seriously and enact changes/fixes/tweaks, et al.

I can pretty much only think of one company in the world :)cough: Lucasfilm :cough) that can basically do anything they want and still have guaranteed revenue streams. Sideshow does not at all have that luxury (aside from SW, of course). They either produce products that people want (and are happy with), or they eventually cease to exist. It's that simple. It's that way with 99% of business and services. They absolutely should take massive criticism of individual prototypes to heart and, when necessary, re-think and re-do that product. That is Business 101.

If Sideshow does not tweak the Rambo PF, for example, they will likely lose money on the endeavor due to lack of orders and/or mass cancellations. Who would that benefit?

I think pointing out what you like on something and what you don't like on something, sometimes does pay off with Sideshow.

Getting rid of Doll dots on the eyes of there 1/6TH figures for example.

I think pointing out what you like on something and what you don't like on something, sometimes does pay off with Sideshow.

Getting rid of Doll dots on the eyes of there 1/6TH figures for example.

And the changes needed in the PRO body. :lecture

It does feel like Sideshow listens... but that doesn't always mean they can/will change things.

But, I'm in the camp that if I don't like it, or can find a better/cheaper alternative I'll go that route.

Back