Collect a line or just random favorite statues? Question bugs me.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should you collect (being that you are someone with limited resources)?

• Complete a line such as X-Men comiquettes or Avenger PFs

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Whatever u like most e.g Lobo w/ Punisher com, Batman custom, D3 Overthrown

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
Line or just favorites?

I'm trying to manage my collection and I'm not sure how to do it.

I have a nice selection of most of the most Premium Formats of the important characters in Marvel. Pretty cool but,

I also have a lot of random favorite statues not in line I like more than many in my Marvel line. What do I do?!? Ahhh!

Line or just favorites?

I'm trying to manage my collection and I'm not sure how to do it.

I have a nice selection of most of the most Premium Formats of the important characters in Marvel. Pretty cool but,

I also have a lot of random favorite statues not in line I like more than many in my Marvel line. What do I do?!? Ahhh!

IMO, also having limited resources and liking lots of non-related stuff (Middle Earth/SW/Marvel/random characters that I think are cool like Selene/Underworld) - for me, w. limited resources, buying something I don't love just to complete a line won't cut it. Re high end figs it's too much money for something taking space/needing futzing.

Only issue is having to think more about display, like for me I won't mix SW and Marvel close on a shelf. E.g. re "lot of random favorite statues not in line I like more than many in my Marvel line." - well, all I can say is my own experience last spring where I was thinking about a poly of a non-favorite character that "I thought I should have re the films", but re the size and taking the long view months later very glad I didn't get it.

'Coz it's just becomes annoying managing something you are not crazy about and then buyer's remorse. IMO a few carefully chosen characters on display can be just as striking as a whole line-up. Friends may think having every Marvel fig is cool but you're the one dealing with it. (Got room for all those boxes, do you?)

IMO I'd sell/offload any Marvel you don't love and you think of more as a dust collector. While you can get a decent price, because (tho it may be a while) there will come a time when Marvel films aren't the "hot thing". Plus all those folks sitting on sealed figs and yours are "used"? Been displayed? Way down the road the serious collector willing to shell out $$$ is probably gonna want sealed/mint figs, if they can get them. IMO if you don't love it and don't have the will/space to deal w. large collection, time to lighten the load. We probably all love great complete line-ups etc. and folks have some amazing multi-character displays, but everyone collects differently.

I chose to go with a line.

I currently have myself limited to Star Wars and Spider-Man. Which (obviously) is two different franchises, this happened because I bought the Spider-man PF (my first 1/4 scale piece) and said I'd just collect Spider-man PF's as that is manageable for me.

Then, I started seeing videos & pics of the Boba Fett PF, and I broke my rule, now It's a much larger beast, and honestly.... I'd love to grab a Batman piece, but, if I do, I'm going to want to get the baddies too and then the Justice League and so-on. For me, my completionist mentality won't allow me to only buy one piece in a line and so I have to force myself to hold back.

So, if you, like me, must complete a collection at any cost, pick one and stick to it. If not though, who cares, buy what you want, display it the way you want, it's your collection, make it unique.

I try to acquire the most accurate / best versions of the characters that are near and dear to my heart.

Sometimes multiple characters are in one line, for example Bowens Marvel statues. They are the classic interpretations of the characters. That I love.

Try to get the best version or versions of ur favorite character and cross them off the list. Avoid trying to collect lines because you will find yourself spending thousands on characters u could care less about. you will find yourself buying and displaying characters that look cool and your fellow forum members love but you could care less about them but they are now part of ur collection cause they're part of the "line". Avoid that because the statue and collectible producers are not slowing down at all.

Still new but I'm collecting a scale, at least that's what I plan. Just stick with 1/4 scale statues and get what I like from any manufacturer. But that's just me, I say get anything and everything that takes your fancy!

Back