Chronicles of Riddick 3 in the works

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not hate the dog...... Just the cute moments that felt really out of place.

Happy it's number one. I want more Riddick films!!!

The thing is, it's not that out of place. Chronicles had him getting buddy buddy with a dog thing....so it's no surprise that he would do the same. Animals are the only thing Riddick can relate too.

Haven't see this movie yet, but Vins big dog died not to long ago. So him having this so called relationship with this dog was homage to his dog I would say. He posted pics of him and his dog on Facebook, and mentioned the dog in this film. So it was something personal I would say.

The thing is, it's not that out of place. Chronicles had him getting buddy buddy with a dog thing....so it's no surprise that he would do the same. Animals are the only thing Riddick can relate too.

Again it's not the relationship with or the fact that he has a dog. It was the cute little parts. Just did not fit the tone of the rest of the film..

Now having said that. I have less of an issue with the dog then the rest of the film. Which to me was a bit boring (especially in the middle), the boring characters (except for Riddick) and the uninteresting monsters (all the mystery was gone in the first 10 min) Again it was far from bad but I would break the films down like this

Pitch Black - 8 out of 10
COR - 7.5 out of 10
Riddick - 6 out of 10

What I liked about the first two is that while Riddick was by far the best character, the other characters were interesting also. The new film not so much. As Celtic said "the dog was the most interesting character" that IMO is a problem.

Well. Sorry for you, I guess.

I would think it would be a problem for a Riddick fans and fans of film in general. I mean shouldnt we want the human characters to be at least as interesting as Riddick's Pet who is only in the film for about 15 min?

I mean we are not talking Golum here.

I would have had less of a problem if everyone else in the film was more interesting. So I guess in the end it's more of a complaint against the characters and script then it is against the CG rendered dog.

Oh well. It's good you enjoyed it. I hope more people do also so they can make another film and give us characters with more depth then a cartoon dog :)

Most Riddick fans are digging the hell out of this movie. Hell, most Riddick fans had no problem with the dog, and would agree was a nice addition. Dogs are badass. Riddick paling around with a badass dog was a pretty fun.

And the script was fine. These movies are B-Movies, lest you forget. They're goofy, cheesy, badass fun, with snappy dialog and fun characters. Nothing more. And that's a good thing. No need to over complicated them. Which is the problem with 90% of all modern blockbusters today. Make 'em simple and entertaining. So like I said.....perhaps this franchise isn't for you.

The only problem I had with the movie was the weak ending, and lack of tension in the third act. But it hardly brought the movie down for me.

Most Riddick fans are digging the hell out of this movie. Hell, most Riddick fans had no problem with the dog, and would agree was a nice addition. Dogs are badass. Riddick paling around with a badass dog was a pretty fun.

And the script was fine. These movies are B-Movies, lest you forget. They're goofy, cheesy, badass fun, with snappy dialog and fun characters. Nothing more. And that's a good thing. No need to over complicated them. Which is the problem with 90% of all modern blockbusters today. Make 'em simple and entertaining. So like I said.....perhaps this franchise isn't for you.

For whatever reason we are getting hung up on the dog. Part of that is my fault because I mentioned the Disney type scenes with the dog.

My issue is that the Dog had more personality then the rest of the characters.

You keep calling the franchise cheese and that perhaps it's not for me.... The thing is I did not consider part 1 and 2 "cheese" they were quality action packed Sci Fi films. Far from perfect yes, but they had some cool ideas, interesting characters and a uniqueness to them with an outstanding main character. Sure They were B movies... But they were well mad B movies.

The third film..... Not so much. Just more of the same but not done as well on any level.

Again I say I think you need to go back and watch the first two films and see how much more different the tone was. How cool the other "bad" guys could be, how fun the Bounty Hunters were without being comically annoying. I just don't think the third film represents the series well.

At least this is how I felt about the film.

Thing is Celtic when we discuss films we can disagree with out saying that one party who does not agree just "doesn't get it" or "it's not the franchise for them" or "only comic fans did not like it, Film fans did"

I just did get your style of debate. Are you aware of how you come across?

I guess I could turn it around and say that this franchise is not for you. Since it's obvious that this film is nothing like the other two in tone or feel and that it took a turn to being just Cheese instead of quality B movie bad *** fun. But I would be assuming a lot about you and acting like my opinions are fact.

I mean did you ever stop and think that perhaps someone just did not enjoy the third film as much as the other two? Now there's a thought.

I'm not going to say fair enough and move on. That's boring. You want to bring your opinion, and that's cool. But I disagree, and i'm going to counteract your points, because that's how a discussion works.

But the problem is, everything in the film that works, is everything you didn't like. So I don't know what to tell you. I don't see things your way, and I personally can't. So....what do you want?

I'm not going to say fair enough and move on. That's boring. You want to bring your opinion, and that's cool. But I disagree, and i'm going to counteract your points, because that's how a discussion works.

But the problem is, everything in the film that works, is everything you didn't like. So I don't know what to tell you. I don't see things your way, and I personally can't. So....what do you want?

You don't bring counter points. You say "the dog was the best" and that the "series must not be for me" because I did not enjoy the third. And if you noticed I have complained about a lot more then just the dog... the only thing you seem to defend and make counter points about.

Basically it's "the dog rules and the film is cheesy if you don't like it you must not like the series." How is the a couterpoint/discussion of the film?

You tend to argue like this often and that is the problem. It's not a discussion when you say "this series must not be for you" In fact it kind of makes the discussion go nowhere. You comments are not counterpoints. They are dismissive and snide.

I have no issue with discussing points. I don't mind people not agreeing with me. Hell it's why I love to post here in the film section. But when I make a point.... or several and your comeback is "The dog was cool and the series is not for you" I don't see in anyway how that carries forward the conversation.

And if everything in that film worked then I ask... Why do you think that? Back up your point. Don't just be dismissive of someone else's. That, my friend, is how discussion works.

But you trashed the dog. I can't have a discussion when you trash that lovable pooch.

Ok... I 100% apologize for trashing the dog. It was wrong of me. Overall he was not bad. I just did not care for the "cute" parts with the animal (The feeding scene mostly). But I liked that Riddick had a companion and someone he cared for.

But you know what really disappointed me. The Dog gets killed and I get ready for Riddick to unleash a whole lot of whip *** and.... Well that moment never really came.

Saw this movie tonight (first time at the movies in 7 years). I wanted to support Vin in this franchise. Here is my thoughts.

I like the feel of the movie, CGI was very good. I did like the first portion of the movie with Riddick alone and surviving. The Dog I agree with Celtic, l liked him, I liked the dog moments, nothing there bothered me, shows Riddick gets along great with animals, not so much with people.

Then the bounty hunters show up, I agree most were boring and had no character development ("Pitch Black" had many great characters) this one not so much. I would of liked ALOT more cat and mouse of Riddick killing the bounty hunters one by one, which really didn't happen that much.

In the end though this was a very small Indie Film (very well done in that case). They played it safe and didn't strayed to far from what they new already worked ("Pitch black" simple story line style). in order to safely bring the franchise back, I'm sure there will be a lot more added to the next film.

No Riddick Movie will beat "Pitch Black" though. They did everything right for the most part in that movie. It's my favorite sci-fi film and almost a perfect sci-fi film, especially for a small budget movie.

Ending was horrible, I saw a few people in front of my shake their heads, I agree, could of been more of a closing final, instead of the sudden end. The R rating made this movie feel like Riddick, which was missing in the PG "Chronicles"

Hope the Blu Ray has an extended edition maybe 15 minutes longer. Also Vin says they are getting members from Tigon studios who worked on Butcher Bay and will be working on another Riddick Game.:yess:

Last edited:
Back