Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is definitely the WORST POSE EVER bt for some reason i still gotta have it lol :slap

Some die hard Reeve fans will be able to look past this piece's flaws. Unfortunately I am not one of them. The pose is the worst part for me. And it's not just Reeve, SS has been really pushing it lately with the extreme poses, leans, or 1 leg elevations on their statues lately. The new Vader PF is a good example. I wish they'd start to use more museum like poses on pieces. Hopefully SS will revisit Reeve another time down the line.

It definitely looks better in that pic. I understand people not liking the statue but I'm reserving judgement until mine is in front of me. If it's horrible it'll go back to SS with a scathing email about quality control that they'll ignore.

Then when they use a more stock pose everyone goes 'when are they gonna stop using all these stock poses? SS are dead to me'

That's not true. Sideshow nails poses, sometimes, and when they do nobody complains.
Their issue is that they keep trying to hit the exact middle ground in everything. Like, "let's make a static pose with him stepping on a stair but turn slightly the torso and make him lean so he's both static and dynamic at the same time", and ends up only being silly. Probably they do it because they hope to please everybody, but they end up looking like their art direction is all over the place.
Either you go static or you go dynamic. Period. They should take one clear direction and go for it. Same thing applies to a lot of other things, like Exclusives. They should make Exclusive more relevant (and more, you know, exclusive), or do away with them and offer a single run full package. Not trying to keep their foot in two shoes with all the "we want Exclusive to be a simple nice extra for early preorders" (translated: to bait people to preorder ahead of time on something most of the time they're unsure about).

That's not true. Sideshow nails poses, sometimes, and when they do nobody complains.
Their issue is that they keep trying to hit the exact middle ground in everything. Like, "let's make a static pose with him stepping on a stair but turn slightly the torso and make him lean so he's both static and dynamic at the same time", and ends up only being silly. Probably they do it because they hope to please everybody, but they end up looking like their art direction is all over the place.
Either you go static or you go dynamic. Period. They should take one clear direction and go for it. Same thing applies to a lot of other things, like Exclusives. They should make Exclusive more relevant (and more, you know, exclusive), or do away with them and offer a single run full package. Not trying to keep their foot in two shoes with all the "we want Exclusive to be a simple nice extra for early preorders" (translated: to bait people to preorder ahead of time on something most of the time they're unsure about).

People will ***** & complain either way

Bulls**t.
How many people complained that Deadpool was in a simple, static standing pose? Or Gambit?
How many people complained about Boba Mythos, as opposed to the new Boba PF or Vader PF?
You will always have those couple of people complaining about that or that other issue, this isn't an excuse to go full retard on the poses. Even the artist who sculpted this thing said the pose is what it is.
It's odd that "other companies" (and no, not just THAT ONE, like ALL the others) take a clear direction with their lines and poses and nobody seems to complain.

Not mine..... Of course..

I think those who ordered because they liked it will be much happier with this photo.

1507554_911754522198501_4741134130973470087_n.jpg

I'm sorry but it still looks terrible in that pic, the awkward pose, the strange face sculpt that looks like he's had plastic surgery and a shield that looks like it was cut out by pre-school kids using safety scissors.

Such a shame because Sideshow will probably never do another Reeve PF after this.

It's odd that "other companies" (and no, not just THAT ONE, like ALL the others) take a clear direction with their lines and poses and nobody seems to complain.

I gotta agree with Mule. I really can't think of statues with truly awkward poses that are not made by Sideshow. I honestly can't right now. They usually get artsy-fartsy and try to think outside the box, but they try too hard too often, and customers are left not only without a pose that would be deemed iconic by anyone, but outright scratching their heads, this Superman being their worst offender ever.

It's really frustrating that such a major company with all their resources and possibilities seems so out of touch with their customers so often.

Hopefully now that the immensely talented Will Harbottle seems to have joined them, we'll be seeing more naturalistic poses from them. As long as 'art directors' don't meddle.

I'm sorry but it still looks terrible in that pic, the awkward pose, the strange face sculpt that looks like he's had plastic surgery and a shield that looks like it was cut out by pre-school kids using safety scissors.

Such a shame because Sideshow will probably never do another Reeve PF after this.

Agreed. This pic does not help anything. Still adds to the this is bad argument. People are trying to convince them self that they did not waste 425.00 plus shipping.

That is some Vulcan logic there Bingo.

"Live short and don't prosper Sideshow"

- phony outraged Sideshow fan

I'm agreeing with Mule here too. Something I've noticed is when Sideshow gets really creative with the base is when things start to get complicated. The taller the base the more SS wants to start with the Captain Morgan leg pose, or some other extreme pose. If they go with a nice flat base this sometimes negates this. I'm assuming with Reeve here they wanted to give him the look like he's flying or hovering which is cool, but then they decided to go with some weird arm thing and head tilt. I dunno I know SS can't always please everyone, but I can't believe someone didn't say that looks a bit odd while this was in production.

I gotta agree with Mule. I really can't think of statues with truly awkward poses that are not made by Sideshow. I honestly can't right now. They usually get artsy-fartsy and try to think outside the box, but they try too hard too often, and customers are left not only without a pose that would be deemed iconic by anyone, but outright scratching their heads, this Superman being their worst offender ever.

It's really frustrating that such a major company with all their resources and possibilities seems so out of touch with their customers so often.

Hopefully now that the immensely talented Will Harbottle seems to have joined them, we'll be seeing more naturalistic poses from them. As long as 'art directors' don't meddle.

A bunch of those DCC Metallic MOS statues have the most awkward poses.

"Live short and don't prosper Sideshow"

- phony outraged Sideshow fan

I'm agreeing with Mule here too. Something I've noticed is when Sideshow gets really creative with the base is when things start to get complicated. The taller the base the more SS wants to start with the Captain Morgan leg pose, or some other extreme pose. If they go with a nice flat base this sometimes negates this. I'm assuming with Reeve here they wanted to give him the look like he's flying or hovering which is cool, but then they decided to go with some weird arm thing and head tilt. I dunno I know SS can't always please everyone, but I can't believe someone didn't say that looks a bit odd while this was in production.

I've got to agree with you there Uncle Bingo. Hard to believe this was sculpted by the same guy who did the Saruman PF and the new Red Skull PF. What the heck happened on this one?

A bunch of those DCC Metallic MOS statues have the most awkward poses.

Hm. Yeah, I can see how some of those may seem a bit... unexpected, but not so much when you realize they are modelled after actual art from their respective artists. It's another thing whether that translates well to a 3D sculpt or not. So I don't think it's exactly what I was talking about.

Plus, you have to understand how they may strive for variety in a wide line of small statues devoted to the same character - it's only natural some are not as instantly recognizable as others, whereas Sideshow should be aiming to make the big, definitive portrayal of every character, and they sometimes fail to do so. Badly.

IMO it's all about the pose fitting the character... Sometimes SSC put their Artistic desires above the character IMO

I was making this point to my friend the other day who is also a collector. I was talking about how great the Ariel Olivetti statues all come out and how they are all poses that fit the character.

I think SSC should let Ariel Olivetti design all their poses (or at least have some input)... IMO he nails it almost every time and the poses fit the character and are both dynamic and museum style...

Hulk Comiquette
- Probably SSC most dynamic pose and it works... Probably the most dynamic pose ever done for this character by any company.. It is dynamic and it fits the character...

Spider-Man Comiquette
- Possibly SSC best piece to date... And 99% of that is the design and pose... It perfectly captures the character.. Nothing too crazy and it works.

King/Gladiator Hulk - Perfect for the character.

Punisher Comiquette - A Museum pose that is perfect for the character. Again it fits and it works.. This pose would have sucked for Spidey... But Ariel knows the character and puts that first over "artistic" wants and needs.

Skaar PF - Again a dynamic pose that fits the character.

Venom PF - Great pose that fits the character.

Carnage - Perhaps the worst pose... But guess what.. It fits the character and thus the worst pose it still better this Superman pose... Because it fits the character.

CR Superman pose - Does not fit that particular character.
New Vader PF - Does not fit that character
Rambo PF - I think they tried to have it fit the character.... but... I don't know what happened.
MOS - Almost suffers from the same problem as Rambo.

That is not to say that SSC does not hit it most of the time... Terminator 1 is a dynamic pose that works and is true to the character. Keaton PF is not so dynamic but it works and feels like the character. I could go on... So I feel that SSC can and does do it most the time...

But the Ariel Olivetti pieces seems to be the really nail the characters both Dynamic and static...

I am not saying that you have to design it after his artwork.. SSC strayed away from Ariel's art work with King Hulk and they gave Spidey bigger eyes.. But the art direction by Ariel has been basically perfect. This is due to the fact that he nails the character in the pose.

Back