Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but it still looks terrible in that pic, the awkward pose, the strange face sculpt that looks like he's had plastic surgery and a shield that looks like it was cut out by pre-school kids using safety scissors.

Such a shame because Sideshow will probably never do another Reeve PF after this.

If he had long hair he would look like Bruce Jenner.

A bunch of those DCC Metallic MOS statues have the most awkward poses.

Supersoundofmusic.jpg

Holy crap that new pic looks bad. Looks like a wax statue that started melting. Good thing my Keaton Bats turned out great, this not so much.

I gotta agree with Mule. I really can't think of statues with truly awkward poses that are not made by Sideshow. I honestly can't right now. They usually get artsy-fartsy and try to think outside the box, but they try too hard too often, and customers are left not only without a pose that would be deemed iconic by anyone, but outright scratching their heads, this Superman being their worst offender ever.

It's really frustrating that such a major company with all their resources and possibilities seems so out of touch with their customers so often.

Hopefully now that the immensely talented Will Harbottle seems to have joined them, we'll be seeing more naturalistic poses from them. As long as 'art directors' don't meddle.

I have seen awkward and boring posses from multiple companies, and yes even from XM (but for me they only really missed the mark with the IM Mark 42 and their Hulk). It will happen. However, SSC has done it with a few really highly anticipated statues. This statue, and the MOS PF both seem to have just captured the "wrong" moment in time. I think the head sculpt is there on this one, but the proportions and pose just don't get it done..... And I gotta say two sets of pics and two shields cut out by 5 year olds make me shiver

I have seen awkward and boring posses from multiple companies, and yes even from XM (but for me they only really missed the mark with the IM Mark 42 and their Hulk).

I'm not interested in XM, but there's no denying their poses are very good and flow very well. Except for the Hulk indeed - I did find it very awkward. Its head sculpts were worse, though.

I'm not interested in XM, but there's no denying their poses are very good and flow very well. Except for the Hulk indeed - I did find it very awkward. Its head sculpts were worse, though.

Their Hulk for me is their only real miss, and he is the character I wish they would revisit the most. I also agree that they missed the mark on the headsculpts. I am sure they look better in person, but I just can't love either of them. However, I don't love any of the SSC Hulk PF purple pant Hulks either. King and Gladiator kick butt in the sculpt department, but I need me a torn pants version, which is why I am 3D modeling my own right now in ZBrush.

XM seem to have managed to find a good mesh between museum and action pose by adding an interactin between the character and the base. Now, we shall see if the complaints start to come in the future as they already have a couple of Captain Morgan posses, and a couple of Babe Ruth HomeRun posses....lol.

IMO it's all about the pose fitting the character... Sometimes SSC put their Artistic desires above the character IMO

I was making this point to my friend the other day who is also a collector. I was talking about how great the Ariel Olivetti statues all come out and how they are all poses that fit the character.

I think SSC should let Ariel Olivetti design all their poses (or at least have some input)... IMO he nails it almost every time and the poses fit the character and are both dynamic and museum style...

Hulk Comiquette
- Probably SSC most dynamic pose and it works... Probably the most dynamic pose ever done for this character by any company.. It is dynamic and it fits the character...

Spider-Man Comiquette
- Possibly SSC best piece to date... And 99% of that is the design and pose... It perfectly captures the character.. Nothing too crazy and it works.

King/Gladiator Hulk - Perfect for the character.

Punisher Comiquette - A Museum pose that is perfect for the character. Again it fits and it works.. This pose would have sucked for Spidey... But Ariel knows the character and puts that first over "artistic" wants and needs.

Skaar PF - Again a dynamic pose that fits the character.

Venom PF - Great pose that fits the character.

Carnage - Perhaps the worst pose... But guess what.. It fits the character and thus the worst pose it still better this Superman pose... Because it fits the character.

CR Superman pose - Does not fit that particular character.
New Vader PF - Does not fit that character
Rambo PF - I think they tried to have it fit the character.... but... I don't know what happened.
MOS - Almost suffers from the same problem as Rambo.

That is not to say that SSC does not hit it most of the time... Terminator 1 is a dynamic pose that works and is true to the character. Keaton PF is not so dynamic but it works and feels like the character. I could go on... So I feel that SSC can and does do it most the time...

But the Ariel Olivetti pieces seems to be the really nail the characters both Dynamic and static...

I am not saying that you have to design it after his artwork.. SSC strayed away from Ariel's art work with King Hulk and they gave Spidey bigger eyes.. But the art direction by Ariel has been basically perfect. This is due to the fact that he nails the character in the pose.

Ariel was responsible for the Hulk Coms flat top, and I won't forgive him for that....lol. You are also talking about Martn Canale/Gore Group sculpts my man. All you have t do is look at the Spiderman BIB Com to see the difference that Master Canale can make with a dynamic action based sculpt. Still one of SSCs bests pieces IMHO.

I prefer museum poses over dynamic.

If the mix is right between the base and the character then you can get some amazing pieces. The Batman, Superman, Gladiator/King Hulk, XM Cable, and Lobo PFs are some of my Favorite museum posses; and my favorite action posses are the Spidey BIB, Hulk Com, Skaar and Spidey Classic Com.

In the end I think that this PF misses the mark by trying to be both, and not melding it properly. The upper body is museum and the lower body is action, but I think all of that would have been forgivable if the head to body proportions were correct, and the tailoring on the shield was bang on.

Ariel was responsible for the Hulk Coms flat top, and I won't forgive him for that....lol. You are also talking about Martn Canale/Gore Group sculpts my man. All you have t do is look at the Spiderman BIB Com to see the difference that Master Canale can make with a dynamic action based sculpt. Still one of SSCs bests pieces IMHO.

If the mix is right between the base and the character then you can get some amazing pieces. The Batman, Superman, Gladiator/King Hulk, XM Cable, and Lobo PFs are some of my Favorite museum posses; and my favorite action posses are the Spidey BIB, Hulk Com, Skaar and Spidey Classic Com.

In the end I think that this PF misses the mark by trying to be both, and not melding it properly. The upper body is museum and the lower body is action, but I think all of that would have been forgivable if the head to body proportions were correct, and the tailoring on the shield was bang on.

It's why I said you did not have to base it completely in his artwork... Like G and K Hulk... They based it on his art but did not copy his art... So yeah.. The flat top... But all of those statues were inspired by his art and the poses fit the character..

Personally I am not huge fan of BIB Spidey... I actually find it boring and would have thought it was bowen statue if I did not know where it came from.. But I think that has as much to do with the black as the statue itself. I say a repaint of BIB to look like Classic spidey and that worked more for me.

But going back to Ariel.. I am talking about letting him be in charge of or have input in the art direction... Sure some great sculptors worked on it but I am talking about the pose and feel the statues had and how they all were true to character...

Basically I am saying take SSC talented sculptors and Ariel Art direction and you have had pretty much perfection. The sculptors should have changed that flattop.. They made artistic sculpt changes with the other pieces.. But the poses have all been great and some of SSC best.

Perhaps not just Ariel but other comic artist also... I just think you have a better chance of hitting a home run.

It's why I said you did not have to base it completely in his artwork... Like G and K Hulk... They based it on his art but did not copy his art... So yeah.. The flat top... But all of those statues were inspired by his art and the poses fit the character..

Personally I am not huge fan of BIB Spidey... I actually find it boring and would have thought it was bowen statue if I did not know where it came from.. But I think that has as much to do with the black as the statue itself. I say a repaint of BIB to look like Classic spidey and that worked more for me.

But going back to Ariel.. I am talking about letting him be in charge of or have input in the art direction... Sure some great sculptors worked on it but I am talking about the pose and feel the statues had and how they all were true to character...

Basically I am saying take SSC talented sculptors and Ariel Art direction and you have had pretty much perfection. The sculptors should have changed that flattop.. They made artistic sculpt changes with the other pieces.. But the poses have all been great and some of SSC best.

Perhaps not just Ariel but other comic artist also... I just think you have a better chance of hitting a home run.

Agree.... I love the Ariel look. They look very macho and superhero feel to his work.

Agree.... I love the Ariel look. They look very macho and superhero feel to his work.

Ariel,has designed many of my favorite pieces that is for sure, buti do think that SSC has some great designers. I just don't know why sometimes they seem to be on vacation when someone these pieces come around.

Ariel,has designed many of my favorite pieces that is for sure, buti do think that SSC has some great designers. I just don't know why sometimes they seem to be on vacation when someone these pieces come around.

This is true and I don't mean to sound like they have not created some great pieces. I just look at Ariel inspired designs (K/G Hulk, Skaar, Spidey, Venom, Punisher, Hulk Comi) and they are all some of SSC best poses / art designs. So is that because it's been designed by someone who actually worked on Comics?

But yes... SSC has hit some out of the park themselves.

This is true and I don't mean to sound like they have not created some great pieces. I just look at Ariel inspired designs (K/G Hulk, Skaar, Spidey, Venom, Punisher, Hulk Comi) and they are all some of SSC best poses / art designs. So is that because it's been designed by someone who actually worked on Comics?

But yes... SSC has hit some out of the park themselves.

I think XM uses Artgerm design for their works too, comic base I suppose?

Back