Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure -part 2

I think that the unpainted photos of Matt Black's sculpt looks much better. There are two things that throw it off in my opinion.

1. The frowning expression is too severe. It's hard to explain but it looks like the top part of his face is angry but the lower part is more relaxed. There's a contradiction in expression if you will.

2. The hair is off - mainly the "S" curl. It's too central on the forehead. If you look at pics of Reeve, the curl was always off to one side. Matt Black's got it centered over his nose. Also, the curl's starting point is too high up. It should be springing out from lower down on the front of his hair line, not coming out from the top of the hair like Matt Black has done.

Arnie Kim's sculpt is superior both in capturing a more natural expression and for getting the hairstyle very accurate in my opinion. If you cover up the hair and eyebrows on Matt Black's sculpt and look at it from the eyes downwards, it's very good. Nothing can save that awful pose of the body though. Ridiculous choice by Sideshow.

This really shows how much more Spot in Kim's custom is.

tumblr_n2duscRlgC1trlhexo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not so sure I like the expression on the Kim sculpt. The proportions are better but he looks like he just got pricked with a thorn or got a small electric shock. It's like o_o ow...

I don't have one favorite persay. I tend to prefer certain artists on different characters

Dale Keown, Ed Mac, and Paul Pelletier- for the Hulk
Byrne, Ordway,Perez and Jurgens- Superman
Jim Aparo and Jim Lee- Batman
Ed Benes-Justice League
Ian Churchill-Supergirl
Ivan Reis, and Ethan Van Schiver: Green Lantern
And those are just a few. Honestly, I can say I have followed most of these guys off and on. So I can't simply pick one. I know I am missing a few, but that is a short list.

I have a top 5 myself.

1. Brian Bolland
2. Bernie Wrightson
3. Neal Adams
4. John Bolton
5. David Mazzuchelli

I only leave Frank Frazetta, Joe Jusko, Glen Fabry and Mike Mayhew off that list because they're more Illustrative painters that work in covers more than sequential art, to me at least.

Those are both great lists. If I had to go with one I'd say Jim Lee, but I think his efforts have been lacking recently. I also love Bolland, Bryne, Mckean, and Williams III, just to name a few. Like Spidey said, it depends on the character, and I think also the writer that the artist is collaborating with.

Those are both great lists. If I had to go with one I'd say Jim Lee, but I think his efforts have been lacking recently.

Lee is a very competent artist. He's good at what he does and he does it with speed and consistency. He's also very safe with what he does. He doesn't push limits or try new things. He has a very standard way of going about his work, which is why he doesn't make my top 5, he'd be in my Top 15 more than likely though.

Lee is a very competent artist. He's good at what he does and he does it with speed and consistency. He's also very safe with what he does. He doesn't push limits or try new things. He has a very standard way of going about his work, which is why he doesn't make my top 5, he'd be in my Top 15 more than likely though.

I think Lee is great with Icons such as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but if it came to something like Sandman I'd prefer someone like Kelly Jones. Lately I've been liking Wlliams III more and more, because I think he's wonderful at telling stories with his art. I think Bryne, Adams, and Bolland all share this special ability.

Those are both great lists. If I had to go with one I'd say Jim Lee, but I think his efforts have been lacking recently. I also love Bolland, Bryne, Mckean, and Williams III, just to name a few. Like Spidey said, it depends on the character, and I think also the writer that the artist is collaborating with.

I think Lee is great with Icons such as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but if it came to something like Sandman I'd prefer someone like Kelly Jones. Lately I've been liking Wlliams III more and more, because I think he's wonderful at telling stories with his art. I think Bryne, Adams, and Bolland all share this special ability.

Lee use to take more chances, some of his work on DeathBlow, and his WaterColor work on Hush was totally out of the box for him. However, I think his RECENT "speed and consistency" come from the MASSIVE PROFESSIONAL Embarraements that were All Star Batman and Robin, the Wildcats reboot, and Batman Europa. For more than 5 years all he managed to put out was about 12 issues TOTAL for all 3 titles. Now don't get me wrong, but the man screwed up and lost his method of getting his stuff done. Now, he is a new dad, a creative director at DC, and he gets a book out EVERY month, or almost. He may be playing it safe, but at least he is getting his crap DONE...lol. I still love his work, and he is one of my all time favs, but I would never say I would want him on ANY book. I don't think he could REALLY handle say Spiderman or Dr. Strange; they just don't seem like they would be a good fit.

I'm not so sure I like the expression on the Kim sculpt. The proportions are better but he looks like he just got pricked with a thorn or got a small electric shock. It's like o_o ow...

you mean just like the real pic just below the Kim sculpt? :lol

I recorded some thoughts yesterday after very little sleep coz we got up to get SDCC tickets...

I recorded some thoughts yesterday after very little sleep coz we got up to get SDCC tickets...

Will watch in a bit. Getting in trouble at home all the time for being on the forums on my phone day and night lol rewatching Season 3 of Game of Thrones (sick show cant wait for SS to do a line)

Sent from the Bat Computer

Of course it will look better at SDCC. You'll be looking at a reworked prototype. Wait til they ship... Then we can pass final judgement.

No - anything shown at SDCC is as close to the production piece as possible. Frequently it's a production sample on display - occasionally it's from actual production.

No - anything shown at SDCC is as close to the production piece as possible. Frequently it's a production sample on display - occasionally it's from actual production.

Prototypes appear at SDCC don't they Dave??

Another great video man, I'm subscribed to your channel. I think you nailed all the points that people are having the most problems with. We'll all just have to wait and see what he ends up looking like at SDCC, and see if maybe SS makes any slight revisions.

Thanks for watching gents, yeah I was being honest so you know I have problems with it but they're not big enough to stop me ordering. Can't wait I see him at ess dee see see OMGGGG

how do you explain batman?

Thanks for watching gents, yeah I was being honest so you know I have problems with it but they're not big enough to stop me ordering. Can't wait I see him at ess dee see see OMGGGG

Good vid Bruce, and yeah, I agree. Through thick and thin, for someone who's a die hard Sideshow supporter as yourself, it's good to see some honesty and acknowledgements about how the full reveal makes people feel. Especially coming from you. I'm happy you ordered it anyway, dude. It shows how much that character means to you. I hope it comes out looking great for those who ordered it and those who are gonna order it.

I just worry because of how production pieces sometimes differ from their prototype. In this case, there's a ton of people out there not satisfied at all with the proto, and I'm really anxious to see what the final product is gonna look like. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Back