Change of heart/focus in collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the problem is, some of you guys buy too much stuff. I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but I look at some of the collections here, and while they're great, they're just VERY overcrowded.

Detolfs with 6 figures per shelves, 1:1 busts on the coffee table, PF's sitting next to lamps--it's too much.

As with anything in life, moderation is key. If you're running out of shelf space, instead of buying your 5th shelf, it's time to sell off what you don't need.

I mean, to me, part of the fun is making the hard choices. I don't want to be able to have EVERYTHING. If you always get what you want, the thirst for the hobby--to me--begins to die.

All good points, and the last one is something I've never really thought about :horror

This year was my first year attending SDCC and I figured it would be trouble. I assumed seeing all those great pieces in person would make me order more than normal. It ended up having the opposite effect.

SDCC was followed by a vacation in SD with my wife and daughter. After getting back, I realized that the vacation would have more of a lasting effect on me than the statues I collect. I've been selling some here and there as well as choosing what I plan on keeping. I also took at look at all my preorders and canceled quite a few. It was hard to do, but it felt good.

:lol

I enjoyed reading this post :)

I can't justify buying collectibles with money I don't have (ie using a credit card), especially because they are so much money. So I've sold 99% all of the stuff I don't collect anymore to buy Sideshow stuff. Now I'm going to sell the remaining two Hot Toys I have (Joker and Berserker Predator) to save up for the Venom Comiquette (getting out of the 1/6 collecting). For me its about Quality over Quantity and buying the most Bad-ass statues that make you say "Damn!" every time you see it. If it doesn't do that to me, then it's not worth the money.

It's tempting to just buy everything i see that is cool, but If i did that i would be broke and my son would have to eat Ramen noodles and my wife would leave me and so would my dog.

Quality over Quantity is the key

I think everyone raises a valid point about quality over quantity although even with being selective it's still easy to amass a large collection.

We all know this an expensive hobby and it's very easy to get into trouble with trying to purchase every single piece that you see and like.

About a year ago I decided to focus exclusively on 1/6th scale figures. I cancelled a number of PF's and maquettes that I had on order. I do regret it but it was the right decision for me as I don't have the space for those figures. And trust me, I've been tempted by items like the Optimus Prime Maquette, the Cyclops PF and the Punisher Maquette to name a few.

Even my 1/6th scale collecting has become more focused. I gave up on the Sideshow G.I. Joe line, cancelled my Soldier Story Pre-orders and only buy a select few from the Star Wars line. My focus has become almost exclusively on hot toys, but I passed on the IM2 MKIV and VI, the platoon figures and the Sucker Punch figures just because I can't buy everything, even though I think they all look amazing.

I've been collecting for 9 years now. It started out with Hasbro Star Wars and branched into McToys, NECA, DST etc. Then about a year ago I made the switch to high end. I mostly focus on 1/6 with a few statues and the occasional NECA figure.

Recently I got rid of about 65% of my low end collection with me thinking about selling more. I want to focus on high end now. The little guys don't give me the same thrill as something like Hot Toys does.

I have to be selective on what I buy though as I only spend money I have. If I have $200 in the bank account I will buy that Hot Toy figure I want but if I don't I don't buy. Since I am so selective the pieces I have I get a lot of enjoyment out of. I have no desire to sell any of my high end stuff but I'm planing another low end purge.

The upside to changing your mind about a collectible in your collection at some point is there is always another collector willing to buy it. It's not like you threw away the money. It's nice to know there is some value in these pieces of plastic.

I agree about making hard choices between characters. The problem is most of us love variety and keeping to just one or two characters or movies is very difficult. ____, I wish I could have everything because then I would never have to sell off stuff.

Well the difference between you and us is that we sell off stuff.......and the whole rich thing adds to it too :wink1:

Im not rich anymore! I put all my money into production of statues for you guys!! (Its the truth)!:1-1:

This year was my first year attending SDCC and I figured it would be trouble. I assumed seeing all those great pieces in person would make me order more than normal. It ended up having the opposite effect.

SDCC was followed by a vacation in SD with my wife and daughter. After getting back, I realized that the vacation would have more of a lasting effect on me than the statues I collect. I've been selling some here and there as well as choosing what I plan on keeping. I also took at look at all my preorders and canceled quite a few. It was hard to do, but it felt good.:lol

Feel the rush man, I did the same thing. I was so scared cause I knew I was going to want to order a bunch of stuff after SDCC, but i ended up coming back home canceling some stuff and actually not going back to order the actual piece I did want.

I'm pretty much done with collecting. My rotations are taking up way too much time and then in the next few years, residency will be even worse. I'm going to sell pretty much all of my collection in the next coming weeks. So be on the look-out. This hobby just isn't that much fun anymore, especially having to wait for all the customs to arrive.

I'm pretty much done with collecting. My rotations are taking up way too much time and then in the next few years, residency will be even worse. I'm going to sell pretty much all of my collection in the next coming weeks. So be on the look-out. This hobby just isn't that much fun anymore, especially having to wait for all the customs to arrive.

I hear that bro. I have been feeling the same way as of late. I actually prefer the forum more than the figures if that makes sense. :thud:

I hear that bro. I have been feeling the same way as of late. I actually prefer the forum more than the figures if that makes sense. :thud:

Makes total sense. I don't really collect anymore, but it's still fun to visit here and window shop.

^^^I agree with both of you. I stopped caring about the latest releases. Just check in to see some discussions about movies and other topics. Kind of lost my spark with this hobby. It might come back with the Hobbit but I doubt it. Anyways, next Saturday, I will actually have time to list all of my collectibles so if anyone wants some premier HT stuff, shoot me a PM. :lol

Makes total sense. I don't really collect anymore, but it's still fun to visit here and window shop.

Thats the way I am starting to turn as well. All I have ordered from Sideshow in the past 8 months is the DX Sparrow and I'll probably get the PF Joker. I just kind of lost interest all together and none of the new releases wowed me (especially at those prices) so I passed.

Heh...I should have read this thread before starting my own. :slap So much of what I have been feeling lately about collecting and prioritizing loss of interest in certain things has been described in this thread.

Great thoughts though, so much to weigh out :)

JB

im going through that , im already selling most of stuff off. I very simply realized that i would rather spend my money on a trip to florida, spain, brazil or costa rica instead of spending of a 300 to 1200 dollars statue.

also i cant display all the crap i have. and its great to have no debt. and i dont get the same pleasure out of collecting.

the weather is great in NYC, except this weekend due to the storm, and i love hitting the clubs and lounges and not have to worry about wether i have enough money to spend on drinks or i dont cause i just dropped serious money on some freaking statue.

It does feel good to change.

Back