Change of heart/focus in collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the problem is, some of you guys buy too much stuff. I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but I look at some of the collections here, and while they're great, they're just VERY overcrowded.

Detolfs with 6 figures per shelves, 1:1 busts on the coffee table, PF's sitting next to lamps--it's too much.

As with anything in life, moderation is key. If you're running out of shelf space, instead of buying your 5th shelf, it's time to sell off what you don't need.

I mean, to me, part of the fun is making the hard choices. I don't want to be able to have EVERYTHING. If you always get what you want, the thirst for the hobby--to me--begins to die.

I've been collecting long before I started getting into Sideshow PF's a little over 5 years ago. Problem I have is that my collection has always had a movie-based concentration. With the years of collecting, space has suddenly become an issue. My "Man Cave" is only 9'x12'.

I don't collect as much as I used to. There are times when I want to flat out quit collecting...but I'm at the point where I'm really (really) selective to what I add. Especially when you take into account rising prices of these collectibles coupled in with the uncertainty of "upgrades" of existing statues/figures.

I think part of the problem is, some of you guys buy too much stuff. I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but I look at some of the collections here, and while they're great, they're just VERY overcrowded.

Detolfs with 6 figures per shelves, 1:1 busts on the coffee table, PF's sitting next to lamps--it's too much.

As with anything in life, moderation is key. If you're running out of shelf space, instead of buying your 5th shelf, it's time to sell off what you don't need.

I mean, to me, part of the fun is making the hard choices. I don't want to be able to have EVERYTHING. If you always get what you want, the thirst for the hobby--to me--begins to die.

lol...so true. Very picky what I pick up nowaday.
It is easy to get out of control.

The problem is the industry is making better figures and statues. Its hard to resist. I would of never pay for a $1200 statue, until I saw the optimus prime from ssc. I have 8 hot toys preorders. I have no clue how to pay for all this, but I have to find a way. All this started with me collecting mcfarlane many years ago. Then hot toys movie master piece line . After that sideshow statues. I don't think it will ever ends. Maybe I will stop after hot toys make the only figure I want the most and will be my grail figure ( the crow) brandon lee.

QC is really turned me off lately - both manufacturing and long term issues popping up.

Enterbay's Game of Death 3 figure, Hot Toy's Iron Man IV/VI and Sideshow's PF Indy jacket problems have all got me thinking that if these companies really don't care about the consumer, why should I give them any money?

I don't understand the customer attitude of 'well you've got to expect that, part of the hobby'. Screw that.

Yeah i went through this phase of collecting 2 years ago particularly with regards to my 1/6 collecting. What I realized is that generally speaking if you miss out on buying something & start having regrets you must remember it is no big deal because there will always be something cool to buy in 3 months time. There is just too much cool stuff to buy that you really need to narrow down. This is particularly true for hot toys.

That being said, if hot toys make matrix figures I'll buy them without hesitation.

i used to be that way and consolidated pretty much to just 1/6 figures now. i have a few pfs, busts and dioramas, but have since sold off a lot of it. just focusing on figures now

I see myself collecting more 1:2 scale
And a whole bunch of new ARH stetues :)

I agree about making hard choices between characters. The problem is most of us love variety and keeping to just one or two characters or movies is very difficult. ____, I wish I could have everything because then I would never have to sell off stuff.

I see myself collecting more 1:2 scale
And a whole bunch of new ARH stetues :)

Well the difference between you and us is that we sell off stuff.......and the whole rich thing adds to it too :wink1:

To me personally, 1/6 figures are already at the higher end of the spectrum as far as collectibles go. (I don't really buy anything larger in scale than 1/6, and I don't really collect other movie memorabilia)

I just try to make sure that I buy stuff that I really do want, and won't get bored looking at. As for the QC issue, I tend to wait until it comes out and see what everybody's opinion of it before I make the jump.

In the case where the price goes up right instantly or the product suffers from severe issues (eg. TDK Batman DX), I'll just have to be rational and give it the pass.

I go thru this every 6 months. I tried to give it up, just can't do it. Sold alot of stuff I now regret. And this month alone has been crazy. The itch is back. Collecting has been apart of my life for so long, I doubt I'll every fully give it up. I will 2nd guess my self when my credit card bill comes in.

I go thru this every 6 months. I tried to give it up, just can't do it. Sold alot of stuff I now regret. And this month alone has been crazy. The itch is back. Collecting has been apart of my life for so long, I doubt I'll every fully give it up. I will 2nd guess my self when my credit card bill comes in.

Thats how it works :yess:

I'm focusing my collection for years already: Star Wars Original Trilogy Imperials (with minor exceptions), Terminator 1 & 2 Endoskeletons, Predator 1 & 2 and anime (99% Masamune Shirow stuff). This helps find me what I like, fit in a budget, and I'm not an impulse buyer. I only play with the money I have, never use credit for this stuff.

My collecting started in 1991 sparked by all the advertising surrounding Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Back then I would buy any piece of junk that was Trek related. I've long since got rid of all of that & focus on med to high end collectibles mainly Potter, the original Star Wars, Indy, LOTR, Trek & a few other bits from cult films. But I really don't want an over crowded display room, finding storage for the boxes alone is problematic. Once I had almost every LOTR statue made by Sideshow/Weta (I had about 55) But it just became over-whelming, cleaning them, find space to display them, moving house or worring about breaking them especially things like the Balrog.

A few choice pieces of iconic characters from my favourite movies will do me

I only got into this game quarter 3 last year. Started off with childhood nostalgia pieces like Wallce and Gromit statues. After that I moved onto collectables from The Watchmen which IMO was a great film. After that phase I looked further into 1/6 by reserching companies like Sideshow, Hot toys ect. My first Sideshow figure was The Black Knight and The Bridgekeeper from the Monty Python line. Neither these or the DC Direct Watchmen figures interested me that much, yet I still chased down a SS CloneTrooper. Still not convinced, I went back to some statues or litlle bits and pieces.
Finnaly though one day, I spotted a Scarface figure on eBay. This figure changed my opinion on 1/6. I am now balancing Gaming, collecting and work and the ladies.

Last edited:
I only got into this game quarter 3 last year. Started off with childhood nostalgia pieces like Wallce and Gromit statues. After that I moved onto collectables from The Watchmen which IMO was a great film. After that phase I looked further into 1/6 by reserching companies like Sideshow, Hot toys ect. My first Sideshow figure was The Black Knight and The Bridgekeeper from the Monty Python line. Neither these or the DC Direct Watchmen figures interested me that much, yet I still chased down a SS CloneTrooper. Still not convinced, I went back to some statues or litlle bits and pieces.
Finnaly though, on one rainy day, I spotted a new Scarface figure on eBay. This figure changed my opinion on 1/6. I am now balancing Gaming, collecting and work.

Is therapy over?

What about chicks?

This year was my first year attending SDCC and I figured it would be trouble. I assumed seeing all those great pieces in person would make me order more than normal. It ended up having the opposite effect.

SDCC was followed by a vacation in SD with my wife and daughter. After getting back, I realized that the vacation would have more of a lasting effect on me than the statues I collect. I've been selling some here and there as well as choosing what I plan on keeping. I also took at look at all my preorders and canceled quite a few. It was hard to do, but it felt good.

What about chicks?

:lol

Back