Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful.

Love the historical journey photos. That "journey" is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. The continual striving for the best we can make it.

If I may ask, how did you transform the leather from original to today? I have the original Duane/Enaud outfit and sculpt as well. Was planning on some sanding on the leather to thin it out, then color transformation with acrylics, then weathering with acrylics and powders. Am I on the right track?

-
Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Yes, the "history" in my thread is fun to look back on. I sometimes look at some of the stuff I did when I first started and cringe. You can definitely see improvement over time. Its crazy to think its been 9 years. It continues to be a fun ride.

Yes, you are on the right track. I did some light sanding begore painting. I then used the Tamiya weathering kits on it.

20191012_102733.jpg

You could also use chalk pastels and seal with dullcoat. Once all that is done the outfit will look worn and be easier to work with.

I look forward to seeing it.

WOW!!!!! Those are so awesome!!!!

Amazing!!!

Thanks guys!!

Going to start Vedain headgear. I took an old T-shirt and dyed it to color I want. Once finished, will trim to proper length.

20191012_211039.jpg

You bet Dennis!

I am probably going to sculpt a base skull cap for Vedain and then build the rest of the headgear on that. I am going to let this part set and paint it up to see what it looks like. If looks ok, I will do the rest. I am not sure. I am still mulling over options.

20191013_001152.jpg

You bet Dennis!

I am probably going to sculpt a base skull cap for Vedain and then build the rest of the headgear on that. I am going to let this part set and paint it up to see what it looks like. If looks ok, I will do the rest. I am not sure. I am still mulling over options.

View attachment 468212

That looks awesome so far!
I?m having the same issues with my Nikto (I?m making Lathe the blue clothed one). I sculpted a skull cap and it looked awful, so back to the drawing board on that one. It seems like the skull cap is made of a leather but I can?t think of a good option to replicate the skull caps in 1/6.

Looking great here! Is this my head sculpt? And if so...can I steal your pics? :D

Thanks! Yes, that is your sculpt. Its fantastic. Nice work.

Yes, you can use my pictures if you like.

That looks awesome so far!
I?m having the same issues with my Nikto (I?m making Lathe the blue clothed one). I sculpted a skull cap and it looked awful, so back to the drawing board on that one. It seems like the skull cap is made of a leather but I can?t think of a good option to replicate the skull caps in 1/6.

Thanks. I couldn't find a suitable leather cap either in 1/6th. I will use leather and fabric once I get thd base cap done. We shall see. I may scrap it and start over as well.

Thanks guys. I think the sculpting approach will work. I am sure it will look better cleaned up, painted and with leather/cloth properly assembled.

Its a start.

Chakaman, as per usual your Jabba goons are amazing. Ace's sculpts and really nice. They have a natural sneer and look like they're up to no good. Awesome stuff. And a cap on Vedain is a really good idea! Woof looks great! Was his outfit a Enaud kit?

Since my Nikto (Lathe) headpiece and chest piece are giving me trouble- I had an idea! I haven't tried it yet, but definitely want to take a stab at it:

Either take a piece of metal or sculpt the appropriate shape. Then stretch/glue thin leather or fabric over for the a possible uniform look/texture, hiding the "seams" on the under side of the piece of gear. That sounds really simple in wording lol but the idea came to me when trying to think of what to do about Tessek's purple velvet gauntlets. I'm definitely going to try it for the gauntlets and I think it could look great and give a good manufactured look. Figured I'd spread the idea since it could apply to our Niktos!

As always, love your work!

Chakaman, as per usual your Jabba goons are amazing. Ace's sculpts and really nice. They have a natural sneer and look like they're up to no good. Awesome stuff. And a cap on Vedain is a really good idea! Woof looks great! Was his outfit a Enaud kit?

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yes, it was a Enaud outfit I picked up back in 2014.

Since my Nikto (Lathe) headpiece and chest piece are giving me trouble- I had an idea! I haven't tried it yet, but definitely want to take a stab at it:

Either take a piece of metal or sculpt the appropriate shape. Then stretch/glue thin leather or fabric over for the a possible uniform look/texture, hiding the "seams" on the under side of the piece of gear. That sounds really simple in wording lol but the idea came to me when trying to think of what to do about Tessek's purple velvet gauntlets. I'm definitely going to try it for the gauntlets and I think it could look great and give a good manufactured look. Figured I'd spread the idea since it could apply to our Niktos!

As always, love your work!

Interesting idea, thanks. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

Life has been crazy busy the past couple of weeks. I am hoping to work on Vedain this weekend.

You or probably more importantly Hot Toys should hire this guy !

Doesn't look hard at all !!! :lol

https://www.facebook.com/minutebuzz/videos/451517538793920/?t=93

Not at all Andrew! Haha.

Work in progress here....

The sculpted cap solution works. I need to clean it up a bit if I don't scrap it and start over.

Building the rest of the headgear has been a b****!! Rough attempt #1 pictured. I am not thrilled with it, but its a start. Like I said, I will probably start over from scratch. At least I have learned a few things.

20191026_000123.jpg

Trial and error is pretty much the only way to go. What you have is a good starting point, and I’m sure the final result will be as stellar as your other palace goons.

That is so awesome. :clap

And seems like you're getting close to having made ALL the Jabba and cantina guys... you're running out of goons to make!:horror:lol

london-uk-31st-oct-2017-the-end-is-nigh-apocalyptic-sign-is-seen-near-KFPW8P.jpg

Back