Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent as always Chris.

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate it.

I just got a Rebel Fleet Trooper, I was really excited until I tried to put a new hand on. I've never had so much trouble trying to put a hand on a figure. seriously, how on earth are you supposed to do it?

Yes, the old Sideshow bodies hands and feet are pain to swap out. The new bodies are much better.

Very, very nice mate. Always loved the look of these Rebels. One day I will have a couple.

Cheers Darran. :duff

I just got a Rebel Fleet Trooper, I was really excited until I tried to put a new hand on. I've never had so much trouble trying to put a hand on a figure. seriously, how on earth are you supposed to do it?
Boil the kettle put the hand into a bowl of the boiling water for about 10 seconds take it out and put it on the figure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks Jay for pointing that out. I forgot to answer Chemical's question. Sorry about that.

Morning update. 2nd trooper undergoing upgrades...

20190210_131012.jpg

20190210_130942.jpg

20190210_134119.jpg

Last edited:
Boil the kettle put the hand into a bowl of the boiling water for about 10 seconds take it out and put it on the figure.

Thanks, I honestly was tempted to either switch the body or get rid of it at that point. Trying to put all your strength on it and nothing happens.

I destroyed the wrist joint on my Yavin Luke before I learnt this trick. You can use a hairdryer too to heat up the joint if that works better for you.

Chakaman bringin' home the goods as usual. Nice stuff.:clap

Thanks man!

Oh that's amazing man...
Helmets, buckles, gauntlets and other hard plastic detailing, 3d-printed by you I guess?
Boots and hands, I guess they are Sideshow...?
Thanks,
m.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Everything is from Sideshow except the jacket which was custom made.

The buckles, badges etc all were from resin moulds, not 3d printed.

Thanks man!

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Everything is from Sideshow except the jacket which was custom made.

The buckles, badges etc all were from resin moulds, not 3d printed.

Wow... Considering prices asked for those SSC Hoth Han/Luke helmeted heads, you have done some investment there...!

Resin moulds taken off what SSC parts? I can't remember which figure they are from...
I know nothing about these things, hence, silly question: what is the advantage of resin casting vs 3d printing?

Thanks,
m.

Thanks Jay for pointing that out. I forgot to answer Chemical's question. Sorry about that.

Morning update. 2nd trooper undergoing upgrades...

Wow those look great. I really wished I had planned ahead on parts to do this.

Wow... Considering prices asked for those SSC Hoth Han/Luke helmeted heads, you have done some investment there...!

Resin moulds taken off what SSC parts? I can't remember which figure they are from...
I know nothing about these things, hence, silly question: what is the advantage of resin casting vs 3d printing?

Thanks,
m.

I bought 4 extra Hoth Luke figures below retail price a few years ago, glad I did. Prices now are ridiculous.

The only things here that were cast were badges, buckles and grenades. Buckles were handmade, cast. Other parts are from Hasbro figures. Everything else is Sideshow Luke Hoth parts. The trooper jackets were made by a friend.

I don't think there is an advantage to resin casting over 3d printing, it's just what you feel more comfortable using or have access too.

Wow those look great. I really wished I had planned ahead on parts to do this.

Thanks. I bought 4 extra Luke Hoth figures from Popcultcha a few years back when they were having a crazy sale for this exact reason.

I still need to finish another Echo Base trooper...

20190214_184510.jpg

I recieved my order from IKEA today. I got new shelving for the last wall in my hobby room.

20190214_184545.jpg

20190214_184524.jpg

20190214_184535.jpg

Soon I will have enough display space for everything. :yess:

I bought 4 extra Hoth Luke figures below retail price a few years ago, glad I did. Prices now are ridiculous.

The only things here that were cast were badges, buckles and grenades. Buckles were handmade, cast. Other parts are from Hasbro figures. Everything else is Sideshow Luke Hoth parts. The trooper jackets were made by a friend.

I don't think there is an advantage to resin casting over 3d printing, it's just what you feel more comfortable using or have access too.

Thanks. I bought 4 extra Luke Hoth figures from Popcultcha a few years back when they were having a crazy sale for this exact reason.

I still need to finish another Echo Base trooper...

View attachment 444342

That's looking great so far.

I really thought long and hard about a Hoth trench rebel but it's so complex in the details. There's so many bits that are unique - pistol/holster, chest greeblies, belt/buckle, backpack add-ons, even the rank badge and wrist comm are different to Luke/Han, not to mention the Luke shirt isn't long enough so you need to add the skirt. I also couldn't find a way to make those quilted segments on the vest's shoulders stand up/out (like they have depth.)

Also, on your Hoth base trooper, you could think about lengthening the SSC Luke vest. I did it on my Luke because it's a bit too vertically short - even the join point isn't an issue because you can futz the belt over it if it looks a bit rough (note that I made my Luke Hoth the "overstuffed" look for when he's on the Taun, with the puffy/fat pants, boots and upper body, not the skinnier look he has in parts like the Wampa cave.)

Still haven't glued on his antenna because I'm still mulling a face swap with a HT (or possibly the SSC Snowspeeder head) head.

gn0suoQ.jpg

That's looking great so far.

I really thought long and hard about a Hoth trench rebel but it's so complex in the details. There's so many bits that are unique - pistol/holster, chest greeblies, belt/buckle, backpack add-ons, even the rank badge and wrist comm are different to Luke/Han, not to mention the Luke shirt isn't long enough so you need to add the skirt. I also couldn't find a way to make those quilted segments on the vest's shoulders stand up/out (like they have depth.)

Also, on your Hoth base trooper, you could think about lengthening the SSC Luke vest. I did it on my Luke because it's a bit too vertically short - even the join point isn't an issue because you can futz the belt over it if it looks a bit rough (note that I made my Luke Hoth the "overstuffed" look for when he's on the Taun, with the puffy/fat pants, boots and upper body, not the skinnier look he has in parts like the Wampa cave.)

Still haven't glued on his antenna because I'm still mulling a face swap with a HT (or possibly the SSC Snowspeeder head) head.

gn0suoQ.jpg

Thanks. Yes, lots of extra greeblies on the trench trooper. I still need to add the beige belt pouches and belt grenades. I know the rank badges aren't 100% accurate, but close enough for me.

If you were wanting to do one, hit me up. I may have some extra parts.

That Luke looks great. Did you just cut fabric, paint to match and tuck it underneath existing vest? I also like the gloves you made for him. Good stuff.

Those are some great customs. I'll have to go back and check out this thread from the beginning. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

This thread goes back almost 9 years. I look back and chuckle sometimes at some of my early stuff. Needless to say, I have come a long way with the help of some great friends and lots of practice.

Thanks everyone.

I got a few shelves hung.....

20190215_212542.jpg

20190215_212913.jpg

Now that I have extra space, I am able to properly display my E-Web and Hoth Stormtroopers. I just need to pose them. It's nice to not have them out of the shadows and not crammed in a corner.

20190216_081839.jpg

Last edited:
Love them Imperials and great new setup, Chris! So I just recently finished going through or catching up - since first stumbling upon your thread (2015-2016) - popping in every once in while over the past several weeks. Actually went through every page. Quite the compilation of customs: beginnings, progress and revisits! Found some other customizers that aren’t as active anymore also with some figures amazing and dioramas! Eye candy galore to say the least. Keep it up my friend :clap
Been dying to put those belt boxes, buckle and ranks to use but can’t seem to find the material wide enough to match. Gonna check a couple other spots today. Thanks again 🙏🏽

Love them Imperials and great new setup, Chris! So I just recently finished going through or catching up - since first stumbling upon your thread (2015-2016) - popping in every once in while over the past several weeks. Actually went through every page. Quite the compilation of customs: beginnings, progress and revisits! Found some other customizers that aren’t as active anymore also with some figures amazing and dioramas! Eye candy galore to say the least. Keep it up my friend :clap
Been dying to put those belt boxes, buckle and ranks to use but can’t seem to find the material wide enough to match. Gonna check a couple other spots today. Thanks again 🙏🏽

I appreciate that, thanks Paul.

I have had lots of influences/help with projects over the years. Yes, lots of talented people here on the boards. Duane(Enaud) has been a huge help over the years. He is a great friend. Mark(Dorgmal Snow), Tyler(Spudtrooper), Feroze, Geri(Brinn), Steven(Strange) and Jason(Lopie) have also inspired/helped me over the years. It's a great community. Most are still active, they just don't post here anymore.

Looking forward to seeing how your Imperial belts turn out.

Back