Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Yes, lots of extra greeblies on the trench trooper. I still need to add the beige belt pouches and belt grenades. I know the rank badges aren't 100% accurate, but close enough for me.

If you were wanting to do one, hit me up. I may have some extra parts.

That Luke looks great. Did you just cut fabric, paint to match and tuck it underneath existing vest? I also like the gloves you made for him. Good stuff.

Yeah, the vest to me is really noticeably too short. What I did was dyed the vest and flipped it over and over so it got good coverage on both inner and outer, then once dry you cut out the inner lining and fold it over to create a kind of wide "belt" of fabric and then glue it to the lowest part of the vest.

When the inner side comes out, there's kind of a sewn edge ridge that creates a nice raised bump that you can use as the edge that butts against the vest. If you don't do this you end up with a thick vest with a paper-thin added portion, but as I said the whole area can be covered with the belt anyway.

I just bought a battle-damaged HT Bespin head to go with this fig (despite the bloodied wound) but I go back and forth - I still kind of like the SSC Hoth Luke face even though the color is weird and it has slightly odd look.

The gloves were super tough. I've never had much luck with bendy hands in gloves but I managed to get the fingers all the way in and then paint the gloves so they looked like winter gloves. You can't see it but they have grey-tan weathering. The gauntlets are from the Snowspeeder Luke (I took them from my Dagobah version where he has bare hands) because I really hate those original Luke and Han Hoth "logs" gauntlets, though they can be cut at an angle and tightened.

He's hopefully going to go one my long-percolating custom Tauntaun (may try some fur on it.:horror)

I got a few shelves hung.....

View attachment 444527

View attachment 444528

Now that I have extra space, I am able to properly display my E-Web and Hoth Stormtroopers. I just need to pose them. It's nice to not have them out of the shadows and not crammed in a corner.

View attachment 444530

Nice to see your collection getting the square footage! I always love how you have TWO Death Star Troopers.:clap

Oh man, that's planning in advance... Years in advance...!
Just how pliable are those SSC Hoth boots? Can you strike any dynamic pose with them on a sustainable manner?
Regards,
m.

I bought 4 extra Hoth Luke figures below retail price a few years ago, glad I did. Prices now are ridiculous.

The only things here that were cast were badges, buckles and grenades. Buckles were handmade, cast. Other parts are from Hasbro figures. Everything else is Sideshow Luke Hoth parts. The trooper jackets were made by a friend.

I don't think there is an advantage to resin casting over 3d printing, it's just what you feel more comfortable using or have access too.

Thanks. I bought 4 extra Luke Hoth figures from Popcultcha a few years back when they were having a crazy sale for this exact reason.

I still need to finish another Echo Base trooper...

View attachment 444342

Yeah, the vest to me is really noticeably too short. What I did was dyed the vest and flipped it over and over so it got good coverage on both inner and outer, then once dry you cut out the inner lining and fold it over to create a kind of wide "belt" of fabric and then glue it to the lowest part of the vest.

When the inner side comes out, there's kind of a sewn edge ridge that creates a nice raised bump that you can use as the edge that butts against the vest. If you don't do this you end up with a thick vest with a paper-thin added portion, but as I said the whole area can be covered with the belt anyway.

I just bought a battle-damaged HT Bespin head to go with this fig (despite the bloodied wound) but I go back and forth - I still kind of like the SSC Hoth Luke face even though the color is weird and it has slightly odd look.

The gloves were super tough. I've never had much luck with bendy hands in gloves but I managed to get the fingers all the way in and then paint the gloves so they looked like winter gloves. You can't see it but they have grey-tan weathering. The gauntlets are from the Snowspeeder Luke (I took them from my Dagobah version where he has bare hands) because I really hate those original Luke and Han Hoth "logs" gauntlets, though they can be cut at an angle and tightened.

He's hopefully going to go one my long-percolating custom Tauntaun (may try some fur on it.:horror)

Nice to see your collection getting the square footage! I always love how you have TWO Death Star Troopers.:clap

Thanks man. Thanks for tutorial too. I will give it a go when I have some time.

Oh man, that's planning in advance... Years in advance...!
Just how pliable are those SSC Hoth boots? Can you strike any dynamic pose with them on a sustainable manner?
Regards,
m.

The boots are one piece. They are soft and you can strike a few pores, but nothing too dynamic.

Since having moved last year, my collection has been in transition. Today, I was able to get my last set of shelves hung and get everything set up.

Finally, the room is complete. I now have room for future releases and customs.

It's been quite the ordeal. Hopefully I don't have to move again for a while.

20190223_194145.jpg
20190223_194123.jpg
20190223_193942.jpg
20190223_193927.jpg
20190223_193910.jpg
20190223_193853.jpg
20190223_193840.jpg
20190223_193823.jpg
20190223_193807.jpg

Chakaman, your collection is really unique. You have poured a lot of love onto all those customs. Almost everybody from SW is represented!!!
So, I join the choir: THIS IS AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!

I'd say your 3 tusken raiders are the same SSC one with mods. Correct? I have an Ex one, and I am hoping for an HT one that have a different look and different accessories on it, so that it will be worthwhile having both as a pair of buddies.

I can't help firing lots of questions:

1) How did you change the jumpsuit color of the w-wing pilot? On the arms, have you added white ribbed strips of fabric?

2) How did you solve the legging problem on the rebel Endor troopers? The Sideshow ones that come with the original figs are awful, and I was planning on getting some from ww1/ww2 figs, though I was yet undecided as to which ones to pick.

Best,
m.

Since having moved last year, my collection has been in transition. Today, I was able to get my last set of shelves hung and get everything set up.

Finally, the room is complete. I now have room for future releases and customs.

It's been quite the ordeal. Hopefully I don't have to move again for a while.

View attachment 445601
View attachment 445602
View attachment 445603
View attachment 445604
View attachment 445605
View attachment 445606
View attachment 445607
View attachment 445608
View attachment 445609

Wow... the whole thread you said? 9 years worth of posts??

Any highlights you might want to point out for the rest of us?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
m.

Love them Imperials and great new setup, Chris! So I just recently finished going through or catching up - since first stumbling upon your thread (2015-2016) - popping in every once in while over the past several weeks. Actually went through every page. Quite the compilation of customs: beginnings, progress and revisits! Found some other customizers that aren’t as active anymore also with some figures amazing and dioramas! Eye candy galore to say the least. Keep it up my friend :clap
Been dying to put those belt boxes, buckle and ranks to use but can’t seem to find the material wide enough to match. Gonna check a couple other spots today. Thanks again 🙏🏽

Congrats on the added shelving and filling out the collection. Looks good!

Wow... the whole thread you said? 9 years worth of posts??

Any highlights you might want to point out for the rest of us?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
m.

The highlights are Chaka’s customs and I pretty much stated the rest: Discovering other very talented Freaks with amazing customizing and diorama building skills... flipping through their custom threads as well. Many many talented people here.

Nice to see your awesome collection back on display!

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate it.

That's the business right there. Just wow, wow, wow!:clap

Thanks man. I respect your opinion, appreciated.

Chakaman, your collection is really unique. You have poured a lot of love onto all those customs. Almost everybody from SW is represented!!!
So, I join the choir: THIS IS AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!

I'd say your 3 tusken raiders are the same SSC one with mods. Correct? I have an Ex one, and I am hoping for an HT one that have a different look and different accessories on it, so that it will be worthwhile having both as a pair of buddies.

I can't help firing lots of questions:

1) How did you change the jumpsuit color of the w-wing pilot? On the arms, have you added white ribbed strips of fabric?

2) How did you solve the legging problem on the rebel Endor troopers? The Sideshow ones that come with the original figs are awful, and I was planning on getting some from ww1/ww2 figs, though I was yet undecided as to which ones to pick.

Best,
m.

Thanks.

The blue jumpsuit was a custom commission.

The Tuskens are all from Sideshow with body swaps and mods.

The Commando leggings were just fabric I cut up and painted. Not totally happy with them, may revisit in the future.

Congrats on the added shelving and filling out the collection. Looks good!

The highlights are Chaka’s customs and I pretty much stated the rest: Discovering other very talented Freaks with amazing customizing and diorama building skills... flipping through their custom threads as well. Many many talented people here.

Thanks Paul. As you mentioned, lots of talented people here. I wouldn't have half the stuff in my collection if it wasn't for them.

Thanks to everyone I have collaborated with on this stuff over the years. It's been fun.

The blue jumpsuit was a custom commission.

The Tuskens are all from Sideshow with body swaps and mods.

The Commando leggings were just fabric I cut up and painted. Not totally happy with them, may revisit in the future.

OK, thanks for the info.
So terrible is the Tusken Raider's original body...?
I assume you discarded the original leggings as useless, right?
Thanks,
m.

I always love looking at your collection and I admire all of the work you've done on the custom pieces. Looks spectacular.

chris where is your REE-YEES i don`t see him in your photos. i`m redoing the jacket on mine did not like they way it turned out after all these years.

Chakaman, you said you switched all of your Tusken Raider bodies. Were the original SSC ones too floppy? I'm curious what bodies did you end up using.
Thanks,
m.

GG, I wasn't sure how to send you pics via PM when you asked and I haven't been able to locate my (very old) customs thread.

chris where is your REE-YEES i don`t see him in your photos. i`m redoing the jacket on mine did not like they way it turned out after all these years.

He is currently in parts. I wasn't happy with the outfit.

Chakaman, you said you switched all of your Tusken Raider bodies. Were the original SSC ones too floppy? I'm curious what bodies did you end up using.
Thanks,
m.

I used a TrueType knockoff slim-shoulder body I picked up off of ebay a few years ago.

GG, I wasn't sure how to send you pics via PM when you asked and I haven't been able to locate my (very old) customs thread.

Hope this is okay with Chakaman if I leave these pics here for a few days for GG to see. I included a flash pic that shows the vest work a bit more clearly. I will delete these pics in a few days once GG has seen them.

47192149502_d89db33915_o.png

40279271773_789817769c_o.png

No worries, it's totally fine. That's what this place is for, helping others out.

Great looking Ree Yees.

No worries, it's totally fine. That's what this place is for, helping others out.

Great looking Ree Yees.

Thanks - I'll delete as soon as GG has saved the pics.

is that the gentle giant bust of Ree-Yees ?

Yes and no - the Gentle giant head is noticeably too small (it feels closer to 1/5 scale) so I cast a few parts from it and then expanded on those because they were too small. My head is about 30% larger overall than the statue head. It's a bit hard to explain what I did to create that head - it's a combination of expanded cast parts from the gentle giant head and newly sculpted elements (maybe 50/50.)

I'm currently doing the same thing with the gentle giant 2-1B head, but that's more just about adding "filler" between the cast areas to expand it.

gentle giant heads are kind of a pain - they seem like they are 1/6 but I've not found a single on that actually is.

And GG - have you saved the RY pics so I can delete from here?

Back