Casting tutorial question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yodacappy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sorry for the broad title but specifically, I'm looking to eventually cast some accessories for custom figures. Can anyone point me in the direction of the right type of tutorial or best tutorial for casting things like weapons, etc?

Thanks!

Well 1st you have to make a mold of whatever weapon you want to duplicate .

I've only used this stuff - https://www.smooth-on.com/Pourable-Silicone-/c1217/index.html

You can find it at most hobby stores .

2 part mold

1. Get a box or some sort of container

2. take soft clay or puddy and cover the bottom of the box or container about double the thickness of whatever your trying to duplicate.

3. Embed half of the weapon in the clay , so thats all you will see is one half of it .

4. Spray mold release agent on the weapon and the clay thats exposed .

5. Mix you 2 part silicon or rubber and pour it over the weapon and fill the container or box .

6. Let dry and remove from box . leave weapon embedded in the rubber , very important .

7. Remove clay.

8. Put the rubber that has hardened upside down back into the container and now you will see again that one side of the weapon is exposed again .

9. Sparay mold release again on all parts . Attach (i use a straw) a vent hole so you have a pour opening .

10. Mix more silicon or rubber and pour over the rest of the weapon .

11. Let dry and seperate .

12. Now you have a 2 part mold of your weapon

HOPE THIS HELPS , AS FAR AS CASTING , ITS PRETTY SIMPLE.

1. Pull apart mold and spray casting release agent on both parts , let dry

2. put the mold back together and secure it with tape or clamps

3. Mix up 2 part resin

4. Pour resin into vent hole , fill the mold .and let dry - 10 mins usually

5. Pull your newly casted weapon out

Thanks so much! Yeah, I'll probably make the accessories (like bith instruments that aren't already made (gasan string drum and rakassah bass specifically) so I'll have to sculpt those (which means I'll have to learn how to sculpt...LOL) and then do all the steps you've outlined.

Are there air bubble problems with this method? I've read a bit about pressure pots and what not so not sure if that's something I'd have to do or not.

Thanks so much! Yeah, I'll probably make the accessories (like bith instruments that aren't already made (gasan string drum and rakassah bass specifically) so I'll have to sculpt those (which means I'll have to learn how to sculpt...LOL) and then do all the steps you've outlined.

Are there air bubble problems with this method? I've read a bit about pressure pots and what not so not sure if that's something I'd have to do or not.

Well i know that pressure chamber are pretty expensive , like $200-$300 bucks.

Its all trial and error , you will get some air bubbles , just fill them in later

Yes air bubbles are always a problem. But when I make molds and cast I use a pressure pot. It helps to remove air bubbles from molds and casts. I made a pressure pot for 150.00

Yes air bubbles are always a problem. But when I make molds and cast I use a pressure pot. It helps to remove air bubbles from molds and casts. I made a pressure pot for 150.00

I'm assuming the paint pot conversion?

Mmmm Yeh More info Lopie, we mere mortals want to know what its all about.

Can you post some pics and maybe a tutorial on how you use it ?

Please........................................:)

Back