Casting and Recasting, Hoping for some answers on how to do this? Please Help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parallax1987

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I am trying to figure out how to recast some of the parts of figures that I have like the boots, hands, and other parts. I dont have the kind of money to buy the whole figure again just cause I want a few parts or to pay the crazy prices that eBay sellers want. Was hoping some of you guys could steer me in the right direction of what to do to recast my own stuff. What to use and how to go about doing it. Thank you for your help in this.

Why is that? I have a feeling it's really not that hard but no one wants to let people know how to do it because they think it takes away from their work. You don't have to be rude by trying to be a smart add. Don't be a jerk

You're relatively "new" here, so maybe you get the benefit of the doubt. Recasting is a big no no on this board, as is even talking about it. This is a Sideshow sponsored board. I'm surprised a mod hasn't made an appearance. While you can think I'm being a "jerk" with my "smart ass" comment, another line of thinking could be that YOU'RE a jerk for even asking about recasting and denying the artists and companies compensation for their hard work in sculpting, developing, and marketing figures.

Again, maybe it's an honest mistake on your part and you never considered this. I'm sure recasting happens, but no one comes out in the open and asks about it. If you really want spare parts and don't want to buy a whole figure, check out sites like Toy Anxiety or Monkey Depot. But it's not smart to come out and ask about recasting.

Your mistake was using the term recast. You bought the figure-it's yours. Really as long as you're not selling recast parts you're in the clear IMO. Many people here have made a cast of a head sculpt for personal use. As an example: you might want a different hair style from a different movie or an actor played a part where they had a scar on their cheek. Yes, you could buy a HS and use it but it's really up to you.

As to people asking about making a cast, it's been talked about and questions have been asked. Go to youtube-lots of videos.

as long as you (re)cast your specific needs, or wants, for YOURSELF, with no monetary gain in mind, there's absolutely no problem with it. i'm sorry i can't be of more assistance as far as practical casting logistics goes - i don't do castings of any sort at this point. i'd love to learn how to, but can't seem to find the time (or am just lazy).

I'm sure TC didn't mean anything malicious about it. Heck, I've been here for 4 years and even I don't know of such rules. :lol

Oh I'm really sorry that actually makes a lot of sense.

No harm, no foul. I could have been less snarky with my response, but hey, it's the interwebs. And I've seen enough fake, seemingly innocent threads in my time. My apologies for lumping this thread in with them.

Honest mistakes do happen, and I'll take it at face value that this was an honest mistake. I'm not naïve enough to think that there is no "re-casting" at all, it's just not talked about openly ("The first rule of Fight Club; you do NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB").

I'll say like this about that "recasting" thing.I bought MJ's Willis head for crazy high price.And it's a lot oversized.Almost too big for any body I have.I and some other guys wrote to Mj to resize it-he refused.So-if I'll have opportunities-I'll recast this head smaller with no doubt.And with no harm to my honor.For sure just for my figure, not sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back