Carrie Fisher had a massive heart attack today....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, that makes sense. Things are always more noticeable if it's part of your profession.

Somehow I didn't have a problem with Leia, even though a lot of people say she wasn't done as well as Tarkin. Different viewers will see things differently and if most people enjoyed Tarkin's scenes then maybe there is a strong incentive to go CGI with Fisher in future films after all. That and the fact that the tech and know-how just keeps getting better.

Somehow I didn't have a problem with Leia, even though a lot of people say she wasn't done as well as Tarkin. Different viewers will see things differently and if most people enjoyed Tarkin's scenes then maybe there is a strong incentive to go CGI with Fisher in future films after all. That and the fact that the tech and know-how just keeps getting better.

That would be my opinion too. I thought Tarkin looked better than Leia. I wouldn't be surprised to see more CGI characters used in future films especially as they improve like you mentioned.

Leia was supposed to confront Kylo Ren in Episode 9; perhaps we might have finally seen her force powers. Perhaps Luke will do it instead, if he doesn't die in Episode 8. I thought TFA borrowed a lot from Harry Potter so perhaps we'll see Luke, Han and Leia as force ghosts at the end, (just as the ghosts of Harry's parents give him strength in Book 7) helping Rey in whatever her final battle is. That would also draw on Lucas's original ending for ROTJ (which is incredible).

Carrie seemed personally invested in Leia, especially in recent years. I think much like Leonard Nimoy had a love/hate view of Spock it took her a long time to make peace with Princess Leia. But if you heard her discuss the character it's clear Leia meant a lot to her. It doesn't seem far fetched she probably wondered what would happen to Leia someday after she was gone.

But perhaps it would be more appropriate to move the film discussion to a different thread.

Yeah, I posted here as I thought there was some discussion about the rights but maybe that was in the figure thread. With her death and Ford's plane crash (can that be called near death?) the ST feels like a cursed endeavor sometimes.

The idea that they could digitally recreate Leia in further episodes seems like CGI hubris on the level of GL's hubris/belief in CGI in the PT so long ago.

People seem to forget that it's more than 15 years ago that a big-budget theatrical feature (Final Fantasy) felt cocky enough to do a CGI-real-humans storyline. And yet, 15 years later in 2016 and the best in the world, ILM, with a near-unlimited budget to achieve it, could not flawlessly pull off CGI humans in just a small handful of short scenes.

So the idea they would have been able to even come close to pulling off a "major part" using a CGI Leia is just laughable.:slap

^^^ :clap Awesome story! Keep strong and know the fandom here supports and encourages their own. While Carrie may be gone in body, she will always be with us in spirit, so let her memory and wisdom keep you going in these trying times. It really is amazing how people we never meet can have profound and lasting impacts on our lives.

Well, I was hoping a thread like this was lying around. I promise to try and keep this short(ish), but there's some things I feel compelled to share in light of Carrie's passing.

Three years ago I made the decision to end my life. The plan was to down an entire bottle of antidepressants as soon as my prescription was refilled. While I was waiting, I happened to stumble upon Carrie's one woman show, Wishful Drinking. I was so awestruck by her performance. It completely altered my view on life and living with mental illness.

Prior to this, I viewed my own illnesses as a deficiency. My shame kept me from talking about it honestly, even with my doctors. Therefore I wasn't getting the help I so desperately needed. But then this show came into my life and suddenly I felt rejuvenated. I immediately read everything she ever published. And I've hung onto every word she's said since. Me and Carrie. One day at a time. Surviving. Either by finding humor in the things that could no longer hurt us, or talking openly about the things that still could. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel alone.

My mother lacks any maternal instincts whatsoever. She's never been there for me when I needed it. In place of that relationship, I sort of adopted Carrie as my surrogate mother figure. Yes, that's right. I began referring to a woman I've never met as my "space mom." The term itself was obviously a joke, but the meaning behind it certainly wasn't.

I recently spent two weeks in a hospital that Carrie once referred to as the nicest place she's ever been institutionalized. I was feeling much better after 14 days of intensive therapy. Then, literally an hour before I left, the news broke that our beloved rebel princess had passed away - which probably undid a lot of the progress I'd made while I was there.

You have to understand, I have no one else in my life. I've relied on her for strength every day. I've repeated her mantras so many times I've lost track of which ones came from my brain and which came from hers. If she could get through the day then, dammit, so could I. Make no mistake - this woman saved my life. I owe her everything. It's not normal. And it may not even be healthy. But it is what it is. I've worn a rebel pendant necklace every day for the last three years to remind me to stay strong in the face of adversity - because that's what she'd want me to do. You could almost says she was my emotional wellness princess.

Leia died two weeks ago. For Star Wars fans, that's hard enough. Carrie inhabited one of the heroes we all grew up idolizing. For me, though, it feels like my mother died, and I'm struggling to cope with that. The toughest part has been seeing footage of her at conventions doing autograph signings for fans. That was set to be me in a few short months. I was finally going to have ten seconds to meet and thank her. Now I never can.

Devastated doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling. I haven't even gone to see Rogue One yet. I'm not ready to watch Star Wars movies again. Despite that, I know I'll continue to survive. After all, my space mom taught me how.

Rest in peace, Carrie. And may the force be with you.

If you ever need anything, know that I and I'm sure others like me will surely be there to help you out. And if no one else, I'll do it alone, all you need to do is PM me. You seem like a very strong individual despite your adversity and it sounds like you have overcome a lot.
Back on topic, the entire Star Wars community is still reeling from the loss of Carrie. And Rogue One is a great movie (in my opinion). I hope you find the strength (?) to watch it soon.

^^^ :clap Awesome story! Keep strong and know the fandom here supports and encourages their own. While Carrie may be gone in body, she will always be with us in spirit, so let her memory and wisdom keep you going in these trying times. It really is amazing how people we never meet can have profound and lasting impacts on our lives.

If you ever need anything, know that I and I'm sure others like me will surely be there to help you out. And if no one else, I'll do it alone, all you need to do is PM me. You seem like a very strong individual despite your adversity and it sounds like you have overcome a lot.
Back on topic, the entire Star Wars community is still reeling from the loss of Carrie. And Rogue One is a great movie (in my opinion). I hope you find the strength (?) to watch it soon.

:goodpost:

Nice work, guys. The strength of forums like this are in posts like these. :clap

And SwiftC, you're anything but alone in feeling that way. If anyone has posted something on here that really resonated for you, always feel free to PM them and connect. And Carrie was indeed a tower of strength and inspiration far beyond SW - she was one of the pioneers who discussed things openly, with great self-deprecating humor; things that people used to not share, especially in public. She's one of the people that changed the conversation about mental illness/bi-polar/depression, and that's every bit as huge as her iconic SW work.

Back