Captain Rex!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it'd be as easy as swapping out the breast plate with a regular one and aging it to match.

Yeah, it wouldn't be hard at all. For someone with some skills in that I would think.

Main reason I bring it up, is that I don't feel like the AOTC Clone has any ties to the 501st, it being any sort of blue was for a whole different reason than the 501st being blue.

I don't know. Like I said I look at the color ranks as a precursor to each legion.

Color-wise, you're absolutely correct in that. It's also odd that they reverted back after ROTS, with everyone else going to the white suits while the Stormtrooper Commanders re-donning the blue (although it's closer to 501st blue than the Lieutenant blue of the Phase 1). Maybe someone will put on their geek cap and let us know how the blue came about with the 501st.

The 501st was blue because.... George Lucas was experimenting with color and lighting in ROTS, so he made the clones match the scenes they were in pretty well.

For example, on Mustafar, some shocktroopers and Palpatine show up to get Anakin (him having been totally pwned by Obi-Wan at this point), and the lava creates a reddish-orange light all over the place, and the red lava is very prominent in many scenes. To match, the shocktroopers are painted red. Imagine if the shocktroopers had been blue instead, and the orange-ish light on them from the lava made them look purple-ish!

George Lucas just had the colors to match the "mood" he was trying to set for each scene (and sometimes the background colors; the clones on Felucia that kill Aayla Secura have a yellow paintjob, and the background of Felucia is very yellowish with some greens and oranges.)

In the Jedi Temple scene when the 501st is marching up the steps, the night-time gives the environment a blue-ish tint to it, so naturally the clones in that scene are blue.

Also the color and mood has a lot to do with Anakin. The shocktroopers are on red mustafar, red is a very angry color, and Anakin at that point is a very angry person. The Jedi temple scene is blue-ish, and blue is a very cool color (cool as in temperature I mean), and at that point Anakin is being very cold; he's going calmly to go kill the Jedi, even younglings and such.

So as far as I know, the colors of the clones in ROTS has nothing to do with canon end everything to do with George Lucas trying to make colors match the mood of a scene. The Clone Wars series has different colors so the kiddies don't get confused, and also so they will think the clones are pretty or something.

Interesting info. I never knew that but thinking about the various clone colors and their scenes it makes perfect sense. Although it does raise the question of why to color the armor at all...

Interesting info. I never knew that but thinking about the various clone colors and their scenes it makes perfect sense. Although it does raise the question of why to color the armor at all...

Most of that is conjecture, but I do know for a fact that Lucas was trying to express mood through color and lighting... the rest is just an educated guess.

I think the clones perhaps would've stood out too much if they were completely white, then they wouldn't match the scenes as well. The color helps to sell the mood I suppose.

Also, it helps show "ok, so those guys are from a different unit than the other guys, red clones work for Palpatine, Blue go with Anakin, the orange are with Obi-Wan." That way, you know the shocktroopers, when they show up on Mustafar for Anakin, aren't controlled by Anakin but directly by Palpatine himself.

Conjecture or not, its a very plausible argument.

Utapau = orange landscape=orange troopers

Kashyyyk=green/brown landscape=green camo troopers

Thank you.

Of course, the camo troopers are specifically colored the same way as their environment to blend in better with their surroundings, but the rest are mostly Lucas trying to make things more dramatic.

Lucas is a business man, I still feel that he changed the colors of the clones just to make more money. He can sell the same figure to the same collector just by adding a little paint. I have so many different clone variations of the same fig, but I would buy another if it looked cool. In the OT they just had 1 color, White, and we all loved it.

I would be much more excited about this figure, if we could get some more variety inerpersed between all the stormetroopers and clones. Still excited about Cody though.

Oh...so rex isnt an Arc Trooper? Because the entire time I have been treating him as one of those, hahaha.

I'm not an expert, he might be, but just with a high rank and prominence in the series. I don't know, I don't follow that stuff to care, I know Rex is Anakin's squad leader in the 3D series and the guys in the original show were unnamed ARC Troopers.

All conjecture aside, ALL clone commanders were originaly ARC troopers. The ARCs were created as an early batch, and ended up with more independence and were closer to being like jango. Jango also took a direct hand in the training of those troopers. Their independence, and greater creativity led to them becoming more competent soldiers, and as such, natural leaders. Original used as a "special forces" the Arc troopers eventually become the commanders.

This is all covered by the dark horse PT comics, and is Canon.

I like the sculpted portrait. That looks as good as the figure itself IMO. I'll get the Ex but the base thing just isn't a huge deal if I was to miss it.

The price ain't bad for the number of things he comes with, especially if they can get that weathering on the armor in production. I honestly would have been happier with a lower price and less accessories but $20 ain't going to bankrupt me and I don't mind the extra stuff.

Sweet. I am all over this figure. The bare portrait is awesome! 4 blasters is awesome! Jet pack is awesome.

Not a lot about this figure that is not awesome!

Figure looks top notch, backpack puts us a step closer to Sideshow Jango Fett, and I'm thankful the Ex. is a stand because I don't have to sweat missing the PPO.

Wow, lots of love for Rexy here! They went all out balls to the wall! Hooray for SS!

Back