Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark Ruffalo Could Be In CIVIL WAR After All

Marvel actors don't ever know what movies they're in.
By DEVIN FARACI Jun. 16, 2015

Let me lead this off with the following: I would be incredibly surprised if The Hulk has any role in Captain America: Civil War. Considering what I know about the story of the film it just doesn't make sense, and there really isn't room for him. I mean, anything is possible, but man, this movie will be packed if they put Hulk in it.

Does that mean Bruce Banner isn't in it? I don't know. Again, I don't know where he might fit, but anything is possible. And now Mark Ruffalo is saying that he will be in the movie... or at least that Robert Downey Jr told him he's in the movie.

If Robert Downey, Jr. says I’m in Captain America, I’m in Captain America dammit! And I will wait for the day that my call sheet shows up at my doorstep or my script. At this point, I’m told that I’m in it by Robert, which I’ll take as biblical, but I just haven’t heard or seen from production yet.

This is less unusual than you might think - only the main leads in these movies ever know what is going on. Supporting actors do not get the entire script, and sometimes, when it comes to cameos, they don't even get any pages at all. Anthony Mackie has said that he didn't know The Falcon joined The Avengers until he saw the movie at the premiere - he just came in and shot a few hours of stuff and nobody told him what he was doing. Samuel L Jackson doesn't know what Nick Fury is up to anymore in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and he was as suprised as we were that he wasn't cast in Civil War.

That said, there are only six weeks left in the production of Civil War, and you would think that Marvel would at least give Ruffalo some dates when he would be needed so he could schedule things. He's a working actor, after all, and if believes his schedule is clear he could go ahead and book a role in China for all Marvel knows.

It would be interesting if Tony Stark knows where Bruce Banner is a year after he disappears at the end of Age of Ultron, and if he is helping the scientist stay on the lam while also using him for his science bro abilities. That sort of cameo - Tony and Bruce talking on Skype - would be easy for Marvel to squeeze into Ruffalo's schedule. Also, all Marvel movies do planned reshoots - could they have a Banner scene penciled in for the reshoots?

Again, I would be shocked to discover that The Hulk has any real role in Civil War, but I've learned to expect shocks from Marvel.

Last edited:
Apparently the stuff marketed to mass audiences has had a problem in this area. GOTG stuff aimed at kids would have every member of the team. . .except Gamora. And apparently Hasbro toys haven't focused on women at all. Interestingly Hot Toys, and Diamond Select (with Minimates) have really focused pretty heavily on the minority and women characters, but both of those are more niche, collector-focused.

Apparently the stuff marketed to mass audiences has had a problem in this area. GOTG stuff aimed at kids would have every member of the team. . .except Gamora. And apparently Hasbro toys haven't focused on women at all. Interestingly Hot Toys, and Diamond Select (with Minimates) have really focused pretty heavily on the minority and women characters, but both of those are more niche, collector-focused.

It's because the female toys/merchandise doesn't sell. I know when it comes to action figures, usually the female figures are the peg warmers, like April Oneal in the TMNT line of toys. I don't blame the companies. They're in the business of making money, and if female toys sold well, they would make more.

Now all those people complaining about the lack of female merchandise better put their money where their mouth is, because otherwise, if the merchandise doesn't sell well, they prove that there's no interest in those female characters.

I understand that point and agree, but it's bad PR for Hasbro/Marvel. That's a consideration they have to take into account, just as movie studios do when they cast for the sake of "diversity."

Sokovia, Vibranium And CIVIL WAR: Kevin Feige Teases Black Panther!

Find out Black Panther's role in CIVIL WAR.
By DEVIN FARACI Jun. 29, 2015

Captain America: Civil War is going to be the most diverse modern superhero movie yet made, but there’s one character whose introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a particularly big deal for representation. After all, he’s getting his own movie soon, but more than that Black Panther isn’t just another superhero - he’s a monarch, the leader of an African country. And this country isn’t a nation full of stereotypical backwards natives, Wakanda is a land that is scientifically advanced beyond even the industrialized Western nations.

Black Panther is T’Challa, the prince of Wakanda, and being the Panther isn’t some sort of secret identity he assumes at night. The monarchs of Wakanda defend their people as the Black Panther, a traditional warrior role. It’s a mantle that has been passed down for generations. T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, will be in the Panther suit in Civil War, but does he begin the movie as the Black Panther? I asked Kevin Feige about this at the Ant-Man junket.

“I don’t know how to answer that question without spoiling it!” Feige said. “It is a role that he is still in the beginning phases of taking on, it’s a mantle he is only beginning to take on because his father is older.”

So as T’Chaka, his father, prepares to hang it all up prince T’Challa prepares to take on the mantle. We can assume that at some point in the film it is passed down - whether that be after T’Chaka retires or after he dies remains to be seen. io9 today reported that a future Marvel film could be an origin story set in the past, but this information makes it clear that movie will not be Black Panther.

So if this is going to be a movie where T’Challa takes on the Black Panther mantle why introduce him now? Why not wait for a solo film? Said Feige:

“The reason we introduced him in Civil War is because we needed a third party. We needed fresh eyes who wasn’t embedded with the Avengers and who has a very different point of view than either Tony or Steve. We said, ‘We need somebody like Black Panther… why don’t we just use Black Panther?’ That’s how it went in the development process.”

That makes sense - he’s fulfilling the middle ground role, and I suspect that his allegiances will change over the course of the film. But where does he start out? Where is he today? The Marvel Cinematic Universe happens in real time - Ant-Man takes place a few months after Avengers: Age of Ultron, and the fallout from the final battle is present in newspaper headlines that ask “Who’s To Blame For Sokovia?” So that means somewhere in Wakanda T’Challa and T’Chaka are asking themselves the same question.

“Today, pre-Civil War, post-Ultron I think he and his father are saying, ‘A bunch of vibranium just got out of here and wreaked a lot of havoc. Maybe we can’t stay behind these borders anymore, maybe we have to stick our heads out and make at least an attempt to be a part of the rest of the world right now, while at the same time protecting our people.’ That’s sort of where we meet him in Civil War," explained Feige.

I asked Feige more about the set-up for Civil War in Ant-Man, but that’s heavy spoiler material, so look for that after release.

Now all those people complaining about the lack of female merchandise better put their money where their mouth is, because otherwise, if the merchandise doesn't sell well, they prove that there's no interest in those female characters.

Well as far as Hot Toys Black Widow is the number 1 selling product, Ironman is second, I believe there is a post in the CAW Black Widow thread with a vid form Hot Toys talking about it

It's been rumored that he will change his current suit you see in set photos to a more comic book scale mail suit.

That would be awesome
400105-captain-america-001.jpg

It's been rumored that he will change his current suit you see in set photos to a more comic book scale mail suit.

I assume this would be for his battle against Iron Man. Considering Stark's powered up suit and even though Cap is the ultimate soldier/fighter, he might want to level the armor odds a little. Makes sense to me... plus it'll be cool to see the traditional scaled armor. I hope they don't go overboard with it and make it TOO much like a suit of armor. Cap still needs his flexibility for his fighting style.

I know its comic book accurate, but why would he need scales on his shoulders? Unless they are made of Vibranium to protect his chest...

Why no SDCC panel for this?

They have their own show at the El Capitan...

Back