Captain America Civil War: Figure Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is Hot Toys' opportunity to do a quarter scale Ant Man.

Why? A giantman in 1/4 and an Antman in 1/6 wouldn't neccesarly be the same size. And Antman isn't exactly a top tier character. If they are doing 1/4 scale human I would expect Cap and Thor and others long before Antman.

Why? A giantman in 1/4 and an Antman in 1/6 wouldn't neccesarly be the same size. And Antman isn't exactly a top tier character. If they are doing 1/4 scale human I would expect Cap and Thor and others long before Antman.
If Ant Man can grow in size to be Giant Man, and it happens on screen (very likely), you bet people will want that in a figure. I see a 1/4 Ant/Giant man as a two birds/one stone opportunity for Hot Toys.

Just because it happens on screen doesn't mean that translate to sales. It's a bit more complicated. Otherwise there would be no figures that didn't sell out. A 1/4 giantman would be potentially taller then hulkbuster. If hulk is 300 at 17 inches...a 1/4 scale fully clothed figure twice as big will be probably twice as expensive. 1/4 is not twice as big as 1/6 so a 1/4 giantman would not be a reusable body for other 1/4 scale humans. But if they made a 1/4 scale Cap or Thor they could then reuse majority for terminator and hawkeye and every other human male.

Sure it's possible. But not probable.

I don't get the two birds reference(I know the ref I just don't see how it applies)

If Ant Man can grow in size to be Giant Man, and it happens on screen (very likely), you bet people will want that in a figure. I see a 1/4 Ant/Giant man as a two birds/one stone opportunity for Hot Toys.

Except a 1/4 Ant-Man still won't be big enough to be a 1/6 Giant-Man :huh 1/4 figures are 18" tall, a 1/6 Giant-Man would need to be at least double that :horror It's basically a 1/2 Ant-Man at that point. Maybe if SSC makes a Legendary Scale statue :lol

Just because it happens on screen doesn't mean that translate to sales. It's a bit more complicated. Otherwise there would be no figures that didn't sell out. A 1/4 giantman would be potentially taller then hulkbuster. If hulk is 300 at 17 inches...a 1/4 scale fully clothed figure twice as big will be probably twice as expensive. 1/4 is not twice as big as 1/6 so a 1/4 giantman would not be a reusable body for other 1/4 scale humans. But if they made a 1/4 scale Cap or Thor they could then reuse majority for terminator and hawkeye and every other human male.

Sure it's possible. But not probable.

I don't get the two birds reference(I know the ref I just don't see how it applies)

Ah, I see our point of disagreement. I'm simply saying an 18" figure. Not a true "1/4 scale" so we end up getting a 1/4 Ant Man out there, but it easily can double as a "Giant Man" in a Civil War display. Hence why we deal with two products and two "characters" at the same time. A true 1/4 Giant Man would be -too- big, both for sales feasibility and the majority of collectors. This would be a reasonable medium. Plus, HT already has a 1/4 buck available to likely use (depends on how the Ant Man figure is built, what body it uses), so they're already a bit prepared should they take this route.

Except a 1/4 Ant-Man still won't be big enough to be a 1/6 Giant-Man :huh

Except everyone already accepts an out of scale miniature Ant Man for their displays.

So....he's Ant-Man but when he grows he's still just a Gi...Ant-Man. So does he change superhero name when he grows? XD That was my irk with making Scott grow in this movie. I always felt like he should stay Ant-Man and have another person be Giant Man. I know these movies are different but that's what I loved about both characters in the comics. We already had an Ant-Man in Scott and was he one who stayed small while Hank took the Giant Man moniker and the the big one...along with Goliath till he died. Ah well, hope it works out well for the film though.

The mini any man works because it's 20-30 bucks...and who's going to buy a toy you need a microscope to see? Lol it's different when it's a 400ish(what a 1/4 scale Antman would cost) or 600ish 1/4 giant man(in true scale).

Just look at all the guff given out over the mos superman or Thor (which are actually right to the film just not the comic). Giant man just wouldn't work at 18 inches. If he's only 20 foot tall in the film he would still need to be nearly 5 foot tall, or like 3 times the size you mention. Now using a 1/4 Antman as a 1/6 giant man..if that's where you where going....probably still wouldn't work..as again it's off by a factor of like 3. A 1:6 giant man would be like 3-3.5 feet tall I think.

I mean hulk is 17 inches tall and he's 9 foot in 1/1. So it would need to be at least twice hulk, right? And hulk is essentially the size of a normal 1/4 scale human. You see why it doesn't really work right?

The mini any man works because it's 20-30 bucks...and who's going to buy a toy you need a microscope to see? Lol it's different when it's a 400ish(what a 1/4 scale Antman would cost) or 600ish 1/4 giant man(in true scale).

Just look at all the guff given out over the mos superman or Thor (which are actually right to the film just not the comic). Giant man just wouldn't work at 18 inches. If he's only 20 foot tall in the film he would still need to be nearly 5 foot tall, or like 3 times the size you mention. Now using a 1/4 Antman as a 1/6 giant man..if that's where you where going....probably still wouldn't work..as again it's off by a factor of like 3. A 1:6 giant man would be like 3-3.5 feet tall I think.

I mean hulk is 17 inches tall and he's 9 foot in 1/1. So it would need to be at least twice hulk, right? And hulk is essentially the size of a normal 1/4 scale human. You see why it doesn't really work right?
If you're playing the purist, 100% accuracy game, then yes. It does not work. I accept that entirely and you're completely correct in that regard. But at the same time, we do accept inaccuracies often enough.

But a true 1/6 "Giant Man" (at full, giant size) isn't really feasible outside shows or HT displays.

But if someone wanted a representation of a bigger Scott Lang as Giant Man (which seems to be the film case) without breaking the bank, a 1/4 scale version of the normal, 12" (normal human) Civil War Ant Man suit would undoubtedly suffice, I would say. It would be larger than the rest of the figures, and at the same time appeal to those who are just outright Ant/Giant Man fans the same way the 1/4 Iron Men do, thus catering to two markets.

We can agree to disagree of course, I'm just spitballing concepts.

Speaking of the Civil War suit, did we ever get any resolution to the mysterious disappearing figure that was on display?

I'm not sure if call it being a 100% purest when the product would be so vastly different then the source. Yes, there's figures that are not 100%. A lot of that comes down to the source being unable to translate to a real 3D product without alterations. But this isn't some small, or medium difference. He would be two full figures shorter then he should be. If he's 20ft tall in the film. If you base it off the limited stuff we have that's probably to short(20ft tall) meaning a figure would be even further out of scale. Just for comparison...that's like using a gi Joe 3 and 3/4 figure with your hot toys 1/6 and saying its hulk.o. That's the difference it would be.

This has nothing to do with wants or how you display your stuff. I was only address it because you said it would make sense for hot toys and also other collectors would support it, by buying it.

Hot toys couldn't make a 1/6 giant man that's that far off. They have a license for a specific scale. When your off by 10-20% that's explainable and within guidelines. Being off by 330%....it would be closer to a 1/10 or 1/12 scale and that falls under iron studios and re:edit and CMC. So even if they wanted to..they couldn't do it I don't think.

Like I said...i don't see hot toys doing it. Not Gaint man at all. Not in 1/4 or 1/6. As for 1/4 Antman...maybe someday. I can't see it before Cap or Thor or other top sellers. theres no using it for 1/6 Gaint man so that's not helping it's case(for the reasons I explained). And with Cap they could do Aou, CW, strike, GA all from one sculpt and limited tailor changes. Thor has the same thing.

Sorry bud. If you want to get a 1/4 scale and pretend there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not a selling point for a company is all. Not in this case.

So I guess Ant-Man goes Giant-Man in CW? o_O
That spoiler's out of the bag now, can't unknow that one. :(
I don't see HT doing a Giant-Man in any case. I heard the Ant-Man helmet's eyes light up and it opens and closes. If true, think they will or have they done that with the new Iron Man 6th scales? That would make them pretty perfect short of making the wrists bend for repulsor blast pose instead of changing hands.

J

Never said it was confirmed. And the fact that Antman changes size....I'm not sure that's a spoiler.

If it happens it's not a new character...it's the same guy who grew bigger.

Well a fgure pic was posted that said Giant-Man, so it's probably happening, and I understand what you're saying, but it's still kinda' spoilery. But not a giant deal...heh...giant... :wink1:

It's definitely gunna be a wild movie, at any rate! I'm really excited for this one. Honestly, I was excited for The Force Awakens, but definitely more excited for Deadpool and Civil War. I've really fallen in love with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I haven't had any issues with any of the films so far. Empire Strikes Back has been my all time favourite film since I first saw it in the theatres way back when, and it took the first Avengers film to overtake that for me, then AOU beat that out. They keep going bigger and better, so Civil War could very possibly be the greatest Marvel Movie to hit.......until Infinity War 1 & 2! LOL

J

Nice!!! Thanks for the head's up! I definitely would like to see Spidey's new look whenever it hits. I wonder if they'll do Iron Spider at some point or not. I admittedly haven't purchased a comic book for many years so I have no idea how the Civil War story goes, but it would be pretty neat to have in the film, I think, no?

J

Falcon for me is just an "ok" character, but after seeing Anthony Mackie this weekend, I became a huge fan.

That dude is dripping with funny. CW Falcon moved to the top of my 'wants' list.

That's cool. I like the character. I mean his on screen intro was pretty funny. "On your left!"

And Mackie is a cool guy.

That's cool. I like the character. I mean his on screen intro was pretty funny. "On your left!"

And Mackie is a cool guy.

While we were waiting in line for panel, there was a guy in front of us with a custom aluminum Cap shield he had made/had painted.

He's from DC and jogs the area of that scene. He was getting Mackie to sign it "On your left" Lol

Back