Can Doctor Who Survive Tonner?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares if Tonner makes these figures? You don't have to buy them.

If they are making a Tom Baker Dr. Who and a Louise Jameson Leela I might have to finally buy a Tonner Doll.

I have nothing against Tonner but if I buy one I know I will break down and buy more like Voldemort, Wonder Woman, Batman or even the super rare Christopher Reeve Superman from the mid-90's. Why do I need to buy so much stuff?

You don't need to. You are just a people watcher, and this is the way you can be a voyeur at your own leisure. I haven't revealed something about myself have I? :lol

I can go along with your suggestions, except for the Batman. The only ones I have actually seen for myself are the Wonderwoman, Supergirl, and another female, which escapes me at present, and I probably would have bought them, but luckily they were too expensive and out of scale with the rest of my collection. I would say they were closer to 1/5 scale than 1/4 though.

You don't need to. You are just a people watcher, and this is the way you can be a voyeur at your own leisure. I haven't revealed something about myself have I? :lol

I can go along with your suggestions, except for the Batman. The only ones I have actually seen for myself are the Wonderwoman, Supergirl, and another female, which escapes me at present, and I probably would have bought them, but luckily they were too expensive and out of scale with the rest of my collection. I would say they were closer to 1/5 scale than 1/4 though.

Could it have been Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy? I am man enough to admit I spent my fair share of time at the Tonner display at Wizard World Philly just looking at the female figures. When it comes to making a female sculpt, Tonner does a great job. I was able to see a Special Edition Wonder Woman in the stars and stripes armor and I was really impressed. The costumes are really well made. The Kryptonian Kara Zor-El outfit is really nice as well as the Amazonian armor Wonder Woman.
Luckily Tonner hasn't jumped into Star Wars, Marvel (besides Spider-Man 3) or Dragonball Z or else I would start buying these dolls on principal.

Whoops, I think I may have said too much about my admiration for Tonner.

I have yet to see a Tonner product that didn't look like crap so I don't expect great things from the Doctor Who line.

Everything is androgynous when it comes to Tonner, which is a shame because they seem to be awesome from the neck down. When I was in Vegas last month I got to see about 50 Tonner figures displayed a FAO Shwartz. The costume tailoring is second to none, I just cant stand the heads.

In total agreement with King Darkness ,on these head sculpts , they are rather out there, I have seen some of these figures in a local comic store and they are highly detailed and the outfits are extremely detailed and fit accurately to the figure

just to big to fit into my collection of 1/6 scale:naughty

largelogoub9.jpg

:horror

Oh well. If it gets us decent clothes to combine with Dean's or Ada's heads, then I guess it's not entirely a bad thing.

Oh. No.
I used to collect Tonner dolls.
I got better.

Seriously though, I'm a major pack-rat. I never get rid of anything. Yet I sold off all my Tonner dolls because they weren't cool enough to keep.

Maybe their dolls have improved in the years since I sold off all my previous Tonner purchases. I hope, but the pics on their website don't look too promising. Tonner could do all right for the companions, and the clothes should be OK. Based on the male head sculpts I've seen, I'm dreading their Doctors.

I'll stick to 1:6 scale, though. I already have a bunch of cool Doctor Who custom figures in 1:6 scale. I don't need to buy a bunch of high-priced 1:4 scale dolls.

If they actually do all 10 Doctors I'm in just for the clothes. I wouldn't mind ripping the heads off and just having the costumes displayed "mannikin" style.

Well, the answer to the thread title question is No. Nothing survives THE TONNER EFFECT.

Heck, we saw what it almost did to this forum a while back...

Now, with that said, I'll probably be in as well, but just for the clothes... Just for the clothes...:monkey3

Personally I'm not all that keen on what they do, although some lines are better then others. Maybe because the subject matter is more suitable to be 'Tonnerized' then others.

Their Potter line looked marvelous, but their Jack Sparrow...ugh! The face, the cloths, what were they thinking?!

Back