Cameron's Apology to Giger

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
egomania aside, it was a gracious act to send an official letter of apology. props to cameron. shows that he does have some class...

Thanks for posting that, Batty.

As much as I love ALIENS I love the original even more. It would have been interesting to see what Giger would have brought to the Cameron film. Not that it was unsuccessful or nothin' without him.

When I watched the documentaries on Alien, they had a section about Giger not being contacted for it and Cameron working on his own. Nothing about an apology though, so it's good that got sorted out.

I was happy with Cameron's production design in the movie so it all worked out.

Thanks for posting that, Batty.

As much as I love ALIENS I love the original even more. It would have been interesting to see what Giger would have brought to the Cameron film. Not that it was unsuccessful or nothin' without him.

I would love to have seen a Giger designed Queen Alien.

Nice letter, and it does boil down to Cameron being a control freak. You would think with all the respect he had for Giger that he would have been eager to collaborate with him. But no--Cameron's ego got the better of him. I too would have loved to seen Giger's version of the queen alien and his variations on the warrior aliens. Still, very well written letter showing a lot of respect for Giger.

Apart from maybe designing the Queen and or vetoing the dome removal of the Alien what other influence would Giger have had on Aliens? Did Giger also design the Nostromo and its interiors for example? Its just that I'm under the impression that Giger would describe the Space Jockey vessel and the Aliens in his own unimitable way but everything else in the human-world would be and should be very normal looking and very much non-giger. I don't think Aliens did anything wrong in that regard.

That's why Moebius and Ron Cobb were brought in to design the human architecture i.e. the spacesuits and the Nostromo.

It's an interesting old bit of ALIENS lore, I linked to this way back when I did my HT ALIENS warrior review-

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_082007b.htm

08/20/07 (7th paragraph down)
I have to admit, I've always read it as a brush off, it just looks good should they get to a legal wrangle. Bur Cameron certainly didn't want anyone making decisions in one of his movies other than himself. The funny thing is for all Camerons competence and passion, he still isn't an auteur for his generation, just a damn good visionary technician (sorry, make that very rich damn good visionary technician).

It's an interesting old bit of ALIENS lore, I linked to this way back when I did my HT ALIENS warrior review-

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_082007b.htm

08/20/07 (7th paragraph down)
I have to admit, I've always read it as a brush off, it just looks good should they get to a legal wrangle. Bur Cameron certainly didn't want anyone making decisions in one of his movies other than himself. The funny thing is for all Camerons competence and passion, he still isn't an auteur for his generation, just a damn good visionary technician (sorry, make that very rich damn good visionary technician).

In other words he's Lucas-Lite.

Nice letter, and it does boil down to Cameron being a control freak. You would think with all the respect he had for Giger that he would have been eager to collaborate with him. But no--Cameron's ego got the better of him. I too would have loved to seen Giger's version of the queen alien and his variations on the warrior aliens. Still, very well written letter showing a lot of respect for Giger.

As a budding film-maker, i totally respect what Cameron did. Collaboration sounds good in theory (we can all play nice) but when it comes down to it, it doesn't work that way. It's miserable when you have a clear cut vision in your head that you know will work and then you have to "run something by the collaborating partner" with hopes of getting the partner's approval. Your crystal clear vision can instantly be shot down and re-formulated to what the "group" thinks will work better. Anyone that is familiar with HR Geiger's art knows he is out there, he's a genious but he's on his own planet. It wouild be VERY hard for two visionaries like Cameron or Geiger to come to a comprimise.

James Cameron can be called an ego maniac,control freak, but i respect the man because he turns his visions into reality...and he does it so well.

Plus when Cameron makes a decision he sticks to his guns on it and it generally turns out to be right.

While it would have been cool to see what Giger would have done and I love his work. You have to remember that Giger had his chest burster design completely rejected and the face hugger redesigned so it may not have been all good.

368.jpg

Giger's Chestburster

Giger+face-hugger.jpg

Giger's Face Hugger

Where the ____ is my apology letter for not Making T3

:lol:lol:lol
You wont get one. I'm still waiting for George Lucas to apologise
for Jarjar Binks..:D

Hey does anyone know if Giger is working on the Alien prequel????

I agree with Wookster that despite Cameron's skill, he doesn't have his own style or "stamp" that he places on all of his movies that really distinguishes them as "his." However, I don't know how important that is. Sure, it is cool watching a Coen Brothers, Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, or Dario Argento movie and instantly recognizing it as such because of their style. But though Spielberg makes beautiful movies every time out, his creates movies so diverse that there are often very few similarities in style between them. They still rock, though, and he's still one of the best film-makers there has ever been, IMO.

Back