Premium Format C-3PO & R2-D2 Premium Format Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at the pics more closely, it seems both Threepio arms do bend at the elbows, swivel at the wrists and shoulders, and spin at the shoulders. The little rod actuators are all practical (slide in slots and telescope,) which is amazing The neck is ball joint but the waist doesn't appear to move, nor anything on the legs.

It does look like that, but I can't tell for sure if the piston assembly is actually telescoping or if something else is going on. I don't know enough about the actual C-3PO costume to say for sure, but I didn't think it had this groove on the forearms, which the piston assembly appears to be moving along.

3po_arm1.jpg

You can see that the bottom part of the assembly is on the other end of the groove in other shots, like this one. Even though the end of the assembly is in a different place, the length of the piston appears to be the same.

3po_arm2.jpg

Either way, if they pulled off this kind of articulation, it's very impressive.

Go back and reread my edit

I appreciate you taking off that flipper comment. :duff

Yes obviously because you had the ability to see the preview and know what it was yesterday and were able to be at the computer the particular hour it went up for sale today you obviously wanted this more than everybody else who didn't know today was the day the droids were going up for PO. Congrats.

I hope you do realize that just means you were lucky right? I am sure there were plenty of fans that wanted this but didn't see it in the 1 hour it was available. Pretty naive if you ask me.

Sideshow has been running this same game for the past 3 years, if I recall correctly, of releasing items for PO every day during their SDCC campaign. It was also know that this was being released during the 2012 SDCC (or in SSC terms, during their "SDCC campaign"). The sneak image was posted on the SSC SDCC site, then brought into this thread and confirmed 24hrs before this went on sale. Knowing that, I made the appropriate steps with my time, family and job to make sure I was in a position to buy this.

If you want to call that luck, so be it.

That might be a bit unfair.

That comment was directed at vorpoll only, who initially called me a flipper but deleted the comment after the fact.

I've been tracking this piece for 2+ years and was buying this despite the price. Here's vorpoll's first comment in this thread -

This might be what pulls me into yet another SS line of statues.

I think it's safe to say I wanted this more than vorpoll. :dunno

lol i am not sold you truly want the reg like some of the other guys, it sounds very forced all your posts about the extra bolt, showing photo of the ex with r2d2 in the shadow etc.. I think you are just trying to convince yourself since the ex is soldout.

it's okie, we cant all have what we want :lol

LOL there may have been a small bit of truth to that. But I actually used that picture of the EX and the Reg because that was close to the same lighting. I also used it because I thought it was the best EX photo of C-3PO. R2-D2 no matter what photo is used I think looks better in the Reg version. I think he looks sort of cheap all cleaned up. He looks much more realistic in the Reg version IMO.

I also actually love the restraing bolts. If you go back in this thread you will see that it's what I was hoping the exclusive was going to be.

And there is no question I like the Reg base better. That alone makes the reg a better item.

Where there is some truth to what you said about me forcing myself to like the other version is the fact that I had the EX pictured in my head before the pre order. It's what I pictured in my room. The clean droids with some shine. So when I saw that I missed it I had to get my head wrapped around it.

I can pretty much say that I would have done the same thing if the preview shots were of the dirty droids and they ended up being the EX I missed. In fact I would be really angry that I missed my chance at the single base and was forced to take the seperate Yavin base.

It's all mind games. But after watching scenes from all three OT the dirty look is just exactly what the droids should be. They are only clean once in the OT and that is for a 20 second shot on Yavin.

Of course that is not to say that the EX version does not look great. It does (except for R2, there is just something off there) But I hate the double base.

I actually said to my friend that it was almost good the EX sold out because I would of been forced to think about and drove to madness about which one to get. The one that by all accounts I know I like better or the one that is EX.

I am sure my waitlist will convert as I got on pretty quick but I am pretty sure I don't want it. As an OCD collector I can say that no amount of "forcing myself to like one over the other" can work if I really prefered the EX.

I am wondering about the following..

I heard that R2 and C3po are moveable on the reg. version base... so how the hell is the light up feature working ?!?! are there batteries inside each droid ???

Yeah I don't get it, they say they have a number in the system already and once that is reached it sells out without them actually displaying the number.

Nothing shady about that. :rotfl First the overall price is ridiculous, so it sucked any enthusiasm I had for these, which I actually thought would be ones SSC's wouldn't screw up paint wise. (Verdict is still out.) I mean does R2-D2, really count as a full sized PF? lol Then I see the low quantity warning on something conveniently with no edition size (at least from the consumer's viewpoint), which escalates the panicked collector to buy something based solely on a couple proto pics that will not look like the final product. I'm sorry, but I am not sad or disappointed that I couldn't get it. Selling out, like on other products, in record time with suspiciously no edition size, is the oldest sucker play in the world to get buyers to buy out something. Then they will release the size and conveniently find some to offer up and repeat the endless cycle of manipulation of the consumer. Well done SSC's! :clap

:gah:

Yeah, I did the same with my Stan Laurel PF. :cuckoo:

Heresy, I say. ;)

Sorry, but I just don't like C-3P0 enough to pay that much for a PF (the Exclusive).

R2-D2, on the other hand, is the best. :lecture I stopped hardcore SW collecting years ago, but I still buy pretty much anything R2. This set is over-priced (at least the Exclusive is), but I want that R2.

Now, if I can flip Exclusive 3P0 for a decent sum, I might use that money to pick up the Regular PF set of both from a retailer. We shall see. I wouldn't mind owning both R2s, but no way do I want 2 3P0 PFs.

I'm still nonplussed that there is no option to buy either one separately. That's just not cool.

Nothing shady about that. :rotfl First the overall price is ridiculous, so it sucked any enthusiasm I had for these, which I actually thought would be ones SSC's wouldn't screw up paint wise. (Verdict is still out.) I mean does R2-D2, really count as a full sized PF? lol Then I see the low quantity warning on something conveniently with no edition size (at least from the consumer's viewpoint), which escalates the panicked collector to buy something based solely on a couple proto pics that will not look like the final product. I'm sorry, but I am not sad or disappointed that I couldn't get it. Selling out, like on other products, in record time with suspiciously no edition size, is the oldest sucker play in the world to get buyers to buy out something. Then they will release the size and conveniently find some to offer up and repeat the endless cycle of manipulation of the consumer. Well done SSC's! :clap

:goodpost:

Ten bucks says these exclusives were snapped up by flippers who will part them out for $600 a piece. :monkey1

If I were to get $600 for my Ex. C-3P0 I'd be over the moon. That would also pay for a Regular set.

BTW, question for those familiar with AlterEgoComics... I know they don't charge for orders until they ship, but don't they do a credit authorization for the full amount when you place the order (which falls off within 24-48 hrs)? Anyone know?

I'm just shaking my head at people complaining about the price, or crushed they didn't get the EX, and doing whatever they can do knock these statues lol

And I'll never understand why you would want to separate these two iconic buddies, who were always seen as a "duo", unless crazy circumstances split them up.

I think for the iconic characters they are, the detail on these, the look of them, and the light up feature more than justifies the 700 bucks.

If you've been waiting and want these droids - get em. If you have a problem with it, don't order it.

That comment was directed at vorpoll only, who initially called me a flipper but deleted the comment after the fact.

I've been tracking this piece for 2+ years and was buying this despite the price. Here's vorpoll's first comment in this thread -

I think it's safe to say I wanted this more than vorpoll. :dunno

Gocha. Well, no foul thoughts from over here! :wave
I wanted this but can't beat myself up and have a bad day. If I can get a cheap Reg later I'll do so because I really want to display them.

And I see what you're saying about following this product, too. I absolutely didn't get any email like I do for everything else, and I never saw the teaser image on the site although I constantly check. Just the red teaser when it should have been the droids. Can't speak for everyone else but I definitely didn't get the same warning signs as some others.

You need a punch in the head you ignorant fool! Read everyone's posts before putting an ill-informed statement out like this.

Sideshow mismanaged this one BIG TIME and REALLY pissed a lot of people off today!

Pull this kind of stupidity with a character like Aurra Sing, but with the droids????? Come on Sideshow, where's your brains????

Alex -

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don't change the edition number!!! Whatever the EX closed on - So be it!

If you guys are going to add to it behind the scene, and convert all the waitlists, I am going to hire a gang of trolls to hunt Sideshow's each and every employee, and rape them thru their eye socket ( left or right, your choice )!!!

Just kidding about the rape, but seriously - Leave it at what it closed at. That what makes this hobby exciting! Don't take away the thrill of the hunt!!!!

I'm just shaking my head at people complaining about the price, or crushed they didn't get the EX, and doing whatever they can do knock these statues lol

And I'll never understand why you would want to separate these two iconic buddies, who were always seen as a "duo", unless crazy circumstances split them up.

I think for the iconic characters they are, the detail on these, the look of them, and the light up feature more than justifies the 700 bucks.

If you've been waiting and want these droids - get em. If you have a problem with it, don't order it.

It's just disappointment dude, partly because it happened so fast. People will get over it.

And as far as splitting them up, I just realized in my favorite SW movie they were apart for most of the film. R2 was with Luke for most of it. Random thought.

I wanted a clean R2 to accompany Leia. He was the only other PF I was interested in owning.

Not so much anymore.

And as far as splitting them up, I just realized in my favorite SW movie they were apart for most of the film. R2 was with Luke for most of it. Random thought.

A muddy R2 and an X-Wing Luke would make a great set too.

Back