Buyer beware 1:1 sideshow life size figures qc problems

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, the paint flaking off is what seems the worst to me. Where are the issues at now, what is SST saying to you?

The paint flaking is generally due to failure to remove all of the release agent off the bust prior to painting (or either improperly cured/mixed resin). Both are hard to catch until several days/weeks after the item is already painted/boxed/shipped. I've seen this happen on someone's AVP Wolf bust, and one of my client's HCG Alien Busts (factory paint of course, not after my repaint! ;) ). SS should be replacing/fixing issues like this as it is not something that the buyer can cause (unlike say, a break for example).

Wow, the paint flaking off is what seems the worst to me. Where are the issues at now, what is SST saying to you?

Everything but the 1:1 V2 Terminator was replaced. Being in Australia and interstate from the shop which imported the items, it can take many months for replacement parts to arrive.

Not once out of 5 life sized Sideshow figures have I enjoyed a happy simple trouble free arrival.

Every single one has needed to be packed away and put on hold until the new part arrives.

Still no response from seller or Sideshow on the V.2 standing up problem.

I don't really think it is worth the long drawn out stress of it all.

Sideshow have destroyed my ability to enjoy this stuff :(

i can definitely emphatise with what your going through.

My own 1:1 endo had drama of its own with the hip section not fitting the legs and then the eyes not lighting up.

It took a couple of months before everything was resolved and while the parts were replaced, the eyes problem was rectified eventually through rewiring and resoldering.

But once its resolved, I can say the enjoyment is enduring.

Hang in there vadernator, the frustration will pass.

It took a couple of months before everything was resolved and while the parts were replaced, the eyes problem was rectified eventually through rewiring and resoldering.

So, if the eyes go out, they can be fixed and made "like new" again?

actually the replacement torso had the wiring reversed :slap

all that needed to be done was to swop the solder point to get the lights back.

However, it took a hell of a time to think through and slowly try to trouble shoot to identify the cause of the problem.

Trust me when I say I know what vadernator meant when he said the rectifying sucks the fun out of collecting. :computer

I literally went to sleep and dreamt of what might be wrong and got up in the middle of the night to trouble shoot when an idea struck :cuckoo:

Its pretty disgusting a company sends out products that expensive with such poor quality assurance processes and quality control.

Wow what ____ing garbage. I'd never buy any of SSC's supposed high end 1:1 scale stuff its just made so ____ing cheap.

Definitely look into other 1:1 scale stuff not made by Sideshow, might save you some cash and gain a even more highly detailed/film accurate collectible that is isn't cheaply made.

Wow what ____ing garbage. I'd never buy any of SSC's supposed high end 1:1 scale stuff its just made so ____ing cheap.

Definitely look into other 1:1 scale stuff not made by Sideshow, might save you some cash and gain a even more highly detailed/film accurate collectible that is isn't cheaply made.

I wouldn't go that far.

From what I know sideshows's clean and combat versions of the Endo are screen used in T4.

Can't get much more film accurate that that. :lecture

The ver 2, that is adiff story. :peace

I wouldn't go that far.

From what I know sideshows's clean and combat versions of the Endo are screen used in T4.

Can't get much more film accurate that that. :lecture

The ver 2, that is adiff story. :peace

Yea, i love SSC Endo's but, look at the risks you take..these ____ers should be made out of real steel for the price they cost.

For Star Wars, there is a bigger market for 1:1 scale stuff and most of those guys who build working Astromechs do a hell of a job in bringing quality and accuracy to their projects unlike SSC.

The eyes on the combat version can positively not be fixed as the tiny cables that run to the big cheap leds are glued in very solid all the way down the neck with tons of epoxy putty or thick paste glue. Sadly the flimsy cabling won't even slide a mm to get at it.

But the head can not be removed either.

If anything goes wrong with the V-2 it may be possible to go in via the battery pack in the side of the head.

Last edited:
The eyes on the combat version can positively not be fixed as the tiny cables that run to the big cheap leds are glued in very solid all the way down the neck with tons of epoxy putty or thick paste glue. Sadly the flimsy cabling won't even slide a mm to get at it.

But the head can not be removed either.

BUT

If anything goes wrong with the V-2 it may be possible to go in via the battery pack in the side of the head.

An the rest of you guys.... thanks for the kind words. Still no word from the shop or Sideshow :dunno:(

Yea, i love SSC Endo's but, look at the risks you take..these ____ers should be made out of real steel for the price they cost.

For Star Wars, there is a bigger market for 1:1 scale stuff and most of those guys who build working Astromechs do a hell of a job in bringing quality and accuracy to their projects unlike SSC.

Exactly. I don't think the word "accuracy" could be mentioned in the same sentence with "Sideshow Collectibles". Sorry SSC make some great products, but are not known for accuracy, not in 1:1 scale or smaller sizes, they are known for "artistic interpretation". To have over 50000 USD to spend on collectibles, then I'd get someone to MAKE for me the item I want.

Exactly. I don't think the word "accuracy" could be mentioned in the same sentence with "Sideshow Collectibles". Sorry SSC make some great products, but are not known for accuracy, not in 1:1 scale or smaller sizes, they are known for "artistic interpretation". To have over 50000 USD to spend on collectibles, then I'd get someone to MAKE for me the item I want.

Hi Sergio. I think it's a mixed pot.

The earlier stuff and ome of the tie ups use studio moulds so those are as accurate as can be.

However, the rest as you said is basically a crap shoot.

I would go with prop makers but seriously not everyone out there has been shown to be trustworthy. Talented yes, honest? Not always.

I think that's why most folks go with SS.

At least with SS you have the option of getting a refund.

I would have a ton of stuff custom made, but the honesty issue...

In fact my first custom made item turned out to be a big scam... :lol

I would have a ton of stuff custom made, but the honesty issue...

In fact my first custom made item turned out to be a big scam... :lol

I never had any problem with custom made stuff, and I have quite a few 1:1 helmets already, some really rare. It is all about being careful and also about some luck.

I never had any problem with custom made stuff, and I have quite a few 1:1 helmets already, some really rare. It is all about being careful and also about some luck.

I tend to agree with the guys about prop builders being evil when it comes to money.

I got ripped off very badly for $1600 USD by JB props for a Darth Vader Helmet and armor. He told me dozens of lies over many years...... then just stopped responding to all my emails. I have been scammed about 4 times by well known helmet builders named on starwarshelmets.com

I have a MASSIVE collection. MASSIVE. And you know what? I am done with the chase.

I love what I have but am not collecting any new stuff from now on. There will always be more around the corner. My one day when pigs might fly wish list is all ticked. So I am happy with all I have amassed over the years.

This last event has not so much soured my appetite, but made me slow down and take stock of the pieces I own which I love and enjoy, Rather than just shelving the new stuff as it comes in and chasing what's next.

Time to look into new facets of life. I don't really think I can top what I already have in the Terminator 2 Star Wars world. I have done nothing but chase this stuff for 20 years ( at the exclusion of holidays, travel, real estate, new cars etc.....)

When you have all of your eggs in one basket.... as I have............:dunno

I tend to agree with the guys about prop builders being evil when it comes to money.

I got ripped off very badly for $1600 USD by JB props for a Darth Vader Helmet and armor. He told me dozens of lies over many years...... then just stopped responding to all my emails. I have been scammed about 4 times by well known helmet builders named on starwarshelmets.com

I have a MASSIVE collection. MASSIVE. And you know what? I am done with the chase.

I love what I have but am not collecting any new stuff from now on. There will always be more around the corner. My one day when pigs might fly wish list is all ticked. So I am happy with all I have amassed over the years.

This last event has not so much soured my appetite, but made me slow down and take stock of the pieces I own which I love and enjoy, Rather than just shelving the new stuff as it comes in and chasing what's next.

Time to look into new facets of life. I don't really think I can top what I already have in the Terminator 2 Star Wars world. I have done nothing but chase this stuff for 20 years ( at the exclusion of holidays, travel, real estate, new cars etc.....)

When you have all of your eggs in one basket.... as I have............:dunno

Then I guess it means that you are quite out of luck overall. That unfortunately for all of us happens. For example I have more luck with my collectibles, but I have not so much luck with my own health, and bad health also costs A LOT.

There are guys here satisfied with the collectibles they got, even if from licensed companies like SSC, MR/eFX etc. or custom builders. The idea is that I never took a plunge with my hard earned money into the collecting world without checking out what is going on. People should try and be careful. Look at member Atheris66, it seems he had a really bad problem with the 1:1 Robocop bust.

BTW which helmet builders did you have problems with? I'd be really curious to hear which of them did wrong and what really happened, thus you could also help the community in not making similar mistakes - if you don't want to post publicly, you could PM me. I know about a few that are doing shady business but I'd like to know from others people experiences.

I am not rich. I have been selling off my huge Star Wars toy collection on ebay to finance some iconic select 1:1 pieces...

You said in your first post "I am not rich", but added with the items you got in your collection we can read about in this thread, no offense intended, but then your definition of rich and mine are quite different. ;) And that being said my concern regarding where my money go seems to be higher than some others.

Then I guess it means that you are quite out of luck overall. That unfortunately for all of us happens. For example I have more luck with my collectibles, but I have not so much luck with my own health, and bad health also costs A LOT.

There are guys here satisfied with the collectibles they got, even if from licensed companies like SSC, MR/eFX etc. or custom builders. The idea is that I never took a plunge with my hard earned money into the collecting world without checking out what is going on. People should try and be careful. Look at member Atheris66, it seems he had a really bad problem with the 1:1 Robocop bust.

BTW which helmet builders did you have problems with? I'd be really curious to hear which of them did wrong and what really happened, thus you could also help the community in not making similar mistakes - if you don't want to post publicly, you could PM me. I know about a few that are doing shady business but I'd like to know from others people experiences.

You said in your first post "I am not rich", but added with the items you got in your collection we can read about in this thread, no offense intended, but then your definition of rich and mine are quite different. ;) And that being said my concern regarding where my money go seems to be higher than some others.

Hi Jkno,

Not rich by any means.

I do not own a house, my car is worth about $1000, and have never travelled anywhere in the world except to work and back home every day.

I have made many sacrifices in other areas of my life due to my OCD obsession with the collection. For someone in his forties I have nothing but the collection to show for a lifes work. Don't get me wrong, I love what I have left, and will never part with it. Just recently though, a lot of wake up calls have me feeling like my collection has owned me. My every movement.... my every thought..... Possibly I have spent a whole lifetimes worth on this already and need to refocus.

I have sold sooo much star wars Hasbro, kenner and Master Replicas on ebay. Selling plastic financed all the big stuff. I actually had so much money tied up in cardboard and plastic from 1995 to 2005 it was insane.

I'd rather have a replica than a toy...... especially when the plastic rare toy is worth more than the 1:1 shiny Replica :)

As for helmet guys.

Here in Australia we had a guy called Altmanns who made many helmets. He is gone now.

SPFX also a seller on ebay ( Vader helmets and armor )

JB Props ( Vader helmets and armor )

Another guy from the 501st who I am still trying to make my ROTS vader armour who I paid in 2008 and am still communicating with but do not wish to name :(

I really do love being a collector. But when does the passion become an obsession or a cage? When you cant afford to pay the electric bills or food? Hahha I've been there :)

Hi Jkno,

Not rich by any means.

I do not own a house, my car is worth about $1000, and have never travelled anywhere in the world except to work and back home every day.

I have made many sacrifices in other areas of my life due to my OCD obsession with the collection. For someone in his forties I have nothing but the collection to show for a lifes work. Don't get me wrong, I love what I have left, and will never part with it. Just recently though, a lot of wake up calls have me feeling like my collection has owned me. My every movement.... my every thought..... Possibly I have spent a whole lifetimes worth on this already and need to refocus.

I have sold sooo much star wars Hasbro, kenner and Master Replicas on ebay. Selling plastic financed all the big stuff. I actually had so much money tied up in cardboard and plastic from 1995 to 2005 it was insane.

I'd rather have a replica than a toy...... especially when the plastic rare toy is worth more than the 1:1 shiny Replica :)

As for helmet guys.

Here in Australia we had a guy called Altmanns who made many helmets. He is gone now.

SPFX also a seller on ebay ( Vader helmets and armor )

JB Props ( Vader helmets and armor )

Another guy from the 501st who I am still trying to make my ROTS vader armour who I paid in 2008 and am still communicating with but do not wish to name :(

I really do love being a collector. But when does the passion become an obsession or a cage? When you cant afford to pay the electric bills or food? Hahha I've been there :)

Not sure if I can understand the way you chose to make your life. But don't get me wrong, people make their own choices in life and I cannot judge them. I own a house and an apartment, they are not huge but I need to stay in my own place instead of paying rent to someone else. One of the few good things in Romania in the communist era was that you could get an apartment with credit from the state and you could pay for it in years and not having to eat just bread and water. Today is different, and in a bad way alas.

My collection is a very important part of my life, but it is not my life. I cannot have everything and I don't want to. I was raised to understand that you can't have everything because there are more important things in life. With my recent health problems I understood this even better.

Back on helmets: then you haven't encountered TE with his ways of taking money from people and then get lost for years.

Altmanns was the only licensed company to make SW helmets in Australia and there were some good ones and some bad ones from them - they indeed made some helmets that no other licensed prop company made like Scout, Royal Guard etc. Though not even the good helmets made by Altmanns are as good as some of the fan made ones.

Back