Buyer beware 1:1 sideshow life size figures qc problems

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vader-nator

Freakalicious
Reaction score
My 5th and FINAL Sideshow Life Size Piece has finally arrived and very sadly it is FAULTY!!!!!!!!!

As I began to assemble my T-800 V.2 I was already feeling dread before I even opened my boxes. I wasn't being a sook or a pessimist either. Just many hundreds of emails and years chasing my own tail with sideshow 1:1 problems have been a big ordeal. Yes replacement parts have made it to me eventually, but being in Australia, it takes months. So the whole experience of buying a shiny new piece, then to have it shot dead isn't really repaired by a replacement part somewhere down the track.

My Version 2 Terminator is on a 65 to 70 degree lean and can not be made to stand on the base as it will simply fall over to the right or break under the strain of the load on the knee joints.

I have the Shiny chrome edition, veteran combat edition, Version 2 ( 2 Guns ) and R2-D2 and C-3PO.

I am not rich. I have been selling off my huge Star Wars toy collection on ebay to finance some iconic select 1:1 pieces. I really can't recommend the experience to anyone.

NOT ONCE have I enjoyed a normal happy purchase out of 5 times ( 6 if you include the flaking Iron Man Bust )

Thanks a lot Sideshow. Each of these life size sells for around $10K AUD due to our excessive import duties and shipping costs.

So I have spent $50K with you guys just on 1:1 figures and EVERY SINGLE TIME my experience has been an unhappy ordeal of waiting and chasing things up.

To anyone wanting the illusion of a sideshow life size figure. BE WARNED. Is your childlike anticipation of a happy purchase worth the stress? I have had a 100% fail rate.

When you have seen the chrome on a terminators face bubble off etc....... you need to remind yourself. (See pics)

This is a big lump of resin. The flimsy plastic fingers that arrive broken off loose in the box...... pistons all upside down and crossed over.....

My list is MASSIVE of faults that have been returned. Even the replacement parts arrive with bits missing or with no lock pin holes drilled.

Props are all an illusion but man....

Here is a comprehensive photobucket record of my Sideshow problems and returns. The photos are all labeled carefully so you can see exactly what to look for in each shot.

If you want to buy a life sized figure from Sideshow you had better be rich, or have a large disposable income. The continuous stress I have suffered trying to rectify problems from here in Australia has all but killed my ability to buy any further 1:1 Sideshow pieces.

I am very sad to say that now this piece has turned up with major issues I can not recommend that anyone invest in the 1:1 life sized figures. (Perhaps to buy one from a friend if you have seen it in person. )

Please look closely at all of these photo problems. Problems which should never be an issue when paying for a quality item.

Feeling very much over the silliness of it all. Time to do something else with my time and money :(

https://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/robbythedalek/SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES LIFE SIZE FAULTS/

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. :( The 1:1 Endos look awesome, but couldn't have imagined they all came with such problems. What in the world is SS thinking? I would be in the same boat as you if ordering one, since I'm in Europe. These are also hard and even almost impossible to resell due to their huge size and thus overly expensive shipping.

For this money SS should do a much better job in looking after the quality of their products. As I said in other threads regarding QC and lack of accuracy on various SS statues and collectibles: these are not $10-$20 cheap plastic action figures, these are expensive collectibles which should arrive flawless/in perfect condition. Too bad too many fans go over these problems and consider themselves "satisfied" after paying so much from their hard earned money for the subpar collectibles...

When I read about the inaccuracies of the SS 1:1 C-3PO and R2-D2 and their problems with lighting and connecting the legs and arms I couldn't believe it. People paid huge amounts of money for them and get a product with so many flaws. There are details about this on the Rebelscum forum (there are too many threads regarding this, so I'm posting the link to the entire 1:1 section).

For the money paid you could always get a fan made R2-D2 with motor, sounds and lights - there are the R2 builders who can help you with every step or even make you one if you know how to ask. For $40000 or so, you might even be able to get someone to make you a 1:1 Endo out of metal, more accurate and sturdier than the SS version. People are asking SS to make 1:1 Vader statue or Fett or Stormtrooper. But these statues will also be inaccurate and will come with damages like these.

Already the 1:1 Han in Carbonite is very expensive and the accuracy is not there - ok we have to wait in seeing the final product, but I'm sure the sculpt won't be modified too much, if at all. There are guys on RPF making a Carbonite with original Volvo pieces like the screen used one and so on, and with less $ than the SS Carbonite.

I totally understand your pain, and lack of QC from various companies is one of the reasons that made me go into the fan made world of props. Now I have screen accurate Star Wars helmets and I'm happy. I wouldn't mind one day to get a 1:1 Endo but with the problems you described here I'll think twice if worth my money, time and patience.

Can I ask how you know the pistons are upside down?

I have the veteran edition and wouldn't know really. :monkey3

I guess ignorance is bliss :peace

Ouch, to pay so much for an inferior product is terrible. I don't collect anything bigger than PF's and have only ever had 1 with an issue that needed to be replaced. My experience with SSC customer service has been great. Sorry you've ended up with so many issues, that sucks.

I have x4 Sideshow lifesize pieces.

1:1 Darkness Bust
1:1 Endoskull (Chrome)
1:1 Wolf Predator Mask
1:1 Predalien Bust

All of them were perfect except for the Predalien Bust. Paint apps were sloppy and their was a chip on the neck (due to shipping). Sideshow sent me a replacement and it was perfect. I preordered the 1:1 Asajj Ventress Bust and I'm not expecting too much out of it.

I noticed the attention to detail and paint apps on newer releases is really a step down from what they used to be. My theory is the tried extra hard on the first few lifesize pieces to establish a reputation. Now that they are established, they aren't putting as much effort into detail and their QC is slipping. This would be especially noticeable on life-sizes pieces.

How long did it take for the endo chrome to start bubbling like that? I'm about to get a combat 1:1 endo skull, and hope that doesn't happen to it.

My Version 2 Terminator is on a 65 to 70 degree lean and can not be made to stand on the base as it will simply fall over to the right or break under the strain of the load on the knee joints.

I am not rich. I have been selling off my huge Star Wars toy collection on ebay to finance some iconic select 1:1 pieces. I really can't recommend the experience to anyone.

NOT ONCE have I enjoyed a normal happy purchase out of 5 times ( 6 if you include the flaking Iron Man Bust )

So I have spent $50K with you guys just on 1:1 figures and EVERY SINGLE TIME my experience has been an unhappy ordeal of waiting and chasing things up.

50k spent and nothing came out right.
That is brutal... Sorry to hear that.

Horrible to hear of your story with your five 1:1 statues.

You may want to bring in a local artist/customizer in Australia to rebuild and repaint your statues properly. That can only add to the value of your investment in it now.

Sideshow hasn't stepped up their game to other collectibles companies who constatly improve the quality of their products, probably because they are most of the market anyways.

This sounds kinda strange to me, because I've always found Sideshow to have the best customer service around. They usually try to bend over backwards to help customers out with any problems, and if they can't fix the problem, they offer a full refund.

I don't think it's customer service that's the problem here, but QC. CS seems to be helping, but since he's in Australia, that's a time consuming process on large items like this, that otherwise should have been fine to begin with considering the price. This guys complaints are hardly nitpicks either.

I don't think it's customer service that's the problem here, but QC. CS seems to be helping, but since he's in Australia, that's a time consuming process on large items like this, that otherwise should have been fine to begin with considering the price. This guys complaints are hardly nitpicks either.

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the kind words and well wishes.

And my problem is more with QC than customer service.

I never had any problem with Sideshow FIXING UP the crappy parts. I just don't see why it should have happened to me in the first place. Especially for $10,000 Dollars each and 5 to 6 times.

It completely destroys the fun and wonder of a purchase to have it shot dead at your feet. Yes it does get revived months later but by then the event is over. It feels like ordering a new car but the car won't start....... until it gets a new engine put in. The fun happy Santa Magic is changed into a long drawn out mission. NOTHING FUN ABOUT IT!!!!!

To have a replacement part sent by shipping container takes months to Australia :(

All of the chrome bubbling, paint issues and every problem have been there straight out of the box and brand new. Nothing to do with climate or conditions within the display environment.

I am just sick to death of poor workmanship in the first place.

Like it or not...... these 1:1 pieces are just big lumps of resin and plastic. Just not up to the task :(

Why did I continue to torture myself by allowing it to happen with 5 figures? Because like all of us here I love this stuff. That love has made me vulnerable. NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!

Our obsession with seeing it the way we want it to be is one of out biggest weaknesses as collectors. Our logical rational mind is easily lead astray by our heart. Well this heart is broken now. Be damned if it is going to be trodden on again :(

Sideshow......... you can keep it all. Not even interested :(

I didn't have any of these problems with my Endo 1:1 V2. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. As for my experience with my 1:1, I'm so happy with it that I've found myself ordering more often from SS, to include a wider range of products that I had previously never considered buying.

I'm not trying to be a ____ as I feel for anyone not getting a high end product after paying a high end price, but why keep going to them? I would not buy anything again if this is how they treat a 50k customer. I guess this little 1500k a year customer really has to worry! lol

I didn't have any of these problems with my Endo 1:1 V2. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. As for my experience with my 1:1, I'm so happy with it that I've found myself ordering more often from SS, to include a wider range of products that I had previously never considered buying.

Wrong.

Not a bad experience. There is more to it than one bad experience here. A lot more!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!:slap

To everyone else........ See how easy it is to turn a blind eye when you are happy?

Last edited:
Back