Build your own Chewbacca

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A stroke of genius, Rich! Looking great so far. Chewie really is the last piece of the puzzle...

Well after some lengthy discussion with the flossinator a while back and his genius lego body I somewhat followed suit with a few exceptions...........
20130830_184250_zpse153dfb1.jpg

I drilled and mounted a joint for the ankle (did not glue, its nice and snug).
20130830_183906_zpsaf34e642.jpg

20130830_183954_zps0b6b10e9.jpg

I was a bit worried about the pieces seperating so I bought some 3/4" heat shrink for the arms and legs. Thats the size you would need to go over these joints should you go this way.
cb1_zpsc311e85f.jpg

You can see it snugs up well and is still somewhat flexible
cb2_zpsbd20398b.jpg

I bent the arms in place before heating the tubing so I maintain more flexibility...........didn't do that with the legs because I dont think he will be doing any knee bends............but if you want him to I suggest bending the legs at where the knees will be
cb4_zps08b61a55.jpg

Lastly I added a modified neck adaptor to the lego ball joint...........and added tt type socket hands. This way I can add tt hands with fur or modify the original hasbro hands with parts of the tt hand sockets
cb8_zps73ba8009.jpg

cb7_zpsf62feee5.jpg

I'm going to add a bit more heatshrink at the wrists as well.
I already have him in the fur suit and will take some more pics when I get the hands together like I want.

cool idea using the heat shrink tubing!! Ive had a couple chewie's in reserve in the hopes of doing this one day, I could never figure out a good body.

Who isn't going to come back to this thread on a daily basis?

Wow! That's thinking out of the box, and this project takes guts and courage. Well done, Flosi!!!

Willing to have a go at sculpting a bald head for those interested
Maybe with articulated jaw as it will be hidden with fur

Willing to have a go at sculpting a bald head for those interested
Maybe with articulated jaw as it will be hidden with fur

Give it a shot shock. I was actually thinking that would be pretty cool but I wouldnt know where to begin with something like that. I was going to go for a closed mouth similar to this....
chewbacca.jpg

Oops no pic Barry, if it needs to be light weight maybe hollow with a neck post

Hmmm........weird I see it. Anyway its the classic pic of him sitting in a chair on set fully costumed. And yea probably the lighter the better.

Very cool Barryo... dumb question I'm sure, but where do you find heat shrink at? I've heard of it, but never seen it in person :lol

Oh and thanks for this thread... now I want to make a new Chewbacca; you *******s :gah:

Very cool Barryo... dumb question I'm sure, but where do you find heat shrink at? I've heard of it, but never seen it in person :lol

Oh and thanks for this thread... now I want to make a new Chewbacca; you *******s :gah:

i actually had to order mine online from amazon as the auto parts stores and places like home depot & lowes only carry up to 1/2" and in short lengths.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-Heat-Shrink-Tubing/dp/B0053PYDFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378998743&sr=8-1&keywords=3%2F4%22+heat+shrink+tubing"]https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-Heat-Shrink-Tubing/dp/B0053PYDFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378998743&sr=8-1&keywords=3%2F4%22+heat+shrink+tubing[/ame].

j if you haven't ever used it you are in for a treat..........it's really good stuff. especially in this hobby. good for repairing stuff you want to hold in place and lot of other things you want covered. i use an actual heat gun but a hair dryer or a lighter will work.

It's sturdy but there's just about no chance this will ever stand on it's own. The head, once put on, will just make it flop over, so this will need a stand.

Of course I use stands anyway. :lol

Why not wrap the ankles and legs in some kind of bendable wire so it can stand on it's own?? Seems like you can do just about anything you want under that fur, with all the space you have with that thin lego frame?

Back