Build your own Chewbacca

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOSI

Nerf Herder
Reaction score
Man, I love Star Wars, and I love 1/6th. For those here that know me well those are two obvious statements. We're at a cross roads in the 1/6th OT SW world right now. We have Vader, Luke, Han, Ben, Leia, 3po, Stormtroopers, Boba Fett and decent stand in R2-D2s (while we wait for the eventual Tamashii (SP) version....

There's one big glaring hole in that list though.... Chewbacca!!! I'm so damn sick and tired of waiting and hoping... "Maybe Hot Toys will make it??" "Sideshow will do it one day".... Bah!! This is all conjecture. We have no Chewbacca and we have no idea when and if one is ever going to come!

I've seen some really nice Chewies over the years, including a really great one put together by Elvis recently. Still, as skilled as the craftsmanship maybe there's always been an issue in regards to the body. Chewie/Peter Mayhew is not only tall but also quite thin. Once fur is added to any standard body, regardless of girth or lack thereof, it usually ends up being too wide and stocky.

Through research I found that Mayhew was close to 8' tall with the costume on. He was 7'2" when shooting ANH, with 4" risers in the feet/shoes and another 4" or so added to the head from the fur.

MV5BMjE4NzEyNzExNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAyMTIyMw@@._V1._SX640_SY949_.jpg

chew1_zps7d2cd82b.jpg

So, a 16" body (with head) that's super thin??? Well, through a little luck I think I may have found a solution!

My son has had this Lego set sitting around for a good year:

LEGO-Superheroes-4530-Hulk-Toysnbricks.jpg

He never touches the thing, but one day when helping him put some toys away I picked the thing up and though it might just work for Chewie.

I started putting together a body and here is what I've come up with:

null_zps97b07faf.jpg

As I tried to get the proportions right I printed out a pic of Chewie at 14-15" to compare to:
null_zps0f1024cd.jpg

I then slapped some of the Hasbro Chewie fur on:
null_zps29288871.jpg

null_zpscb0d88bd.jpg

I liked the way it was going but I ended up even adding more height to get a thinner look, which brought me to this:
null_zpse0dfbad1.jpg

And here is where it stands ATM, sewn up in back and semi-groomed (sorry about the flash, this was taken at night):
null_zps3f316282.jpg

The extra joints are now glued in place. I've used medical tape to hold the moving joints together so they don't fall apart. The hands and feet still need some paint but the body is pretty much done at this point, so now I'm onto the head!!

I'm really hoping this can start more and more people on the path to making their own Chewie. I've been working with BarryO on this over the last few weeks so he'll be showing his progress off soon as well. If we can get enough people working on this I have no doubt that we as a community can bring this project to the next level. :hi5:

Last edited:
I been waiting to start a chewie for a long while. Im would say u are on to somthing!

Im gonna start one of these i think.

Really smart thinking!

That looks pretty damn good, Flosi! I think the trick was using such a thin frame, because it makes him look less fluffy which is what bothers me most about the customs I've seen. He's got that gangly tall look.

Also, it looks like you gave him a good combing before putting him in the detolf--I think he looks better with the hair a bit scruffy like in the picture above it.

Fantastic start!

excellent find! looks awesome so far. can't wait to watch the progress.

You've inspired me. I'd love to try this for myself.

Last edited:
Also, it looks like you gave him a good combing before putting him in the detolf--I think he looks better with the hair a bit scruffy like in the picture above it.

Fantastic start!

Agreed! Scruffier photos look better.

I been waiting to start a chewie for a long while. Im would say u are on to somthing!

Im gonna start one of these i think.

Really smart thinking!

Now is a great time to start! The more of us that work on this, the more ideas we will get!

That looks pretty damn good, Flosi! I think the trick was using such a thin frame, because it makes him look less fluffy which is what bothers me most about the customs I've seen. He's got that gangly tall look.

Fantastic start!

I honestly like it a bit scraggly as well, but to get the fur back over the thread I used to sew this together it's kinda needed... Still, I would like to futz it back to the lumped together look.

excellent find! looks awesome so far. can't wait to watch the progress.

You've inspired me. I'd love to try this for myself.

Do it! That's the whole point of this thread, to start a chain reaction of Chewie customs... or so I hope.

What can we un-skilled helpers do?

That is awesome!! :rock

Ask someone with skills and do this?

hijos.jpg

:lol

You guys can do this! It just takes a little time and some patience. :) I'm sure as hell not a good customizer but you gotta try, right?

[ame="https://youtu.be/NBh895KdXAU"]https://youtu.be/NBh895KdXAU[/ame]

Nice work Flo-master! Looks like a very good boy option, thin but very poseable.

How sturdy is it after you shored it up?

It's sturdy but there's just about no chance this will ever stand on it's own. The head, once put on, will just make it flop over, so this will need a stand.

Of course I use stands anyway. :lol

Nice work Flo-master! Looks like a very good boy option, thin but very poseable.

How sturdy is it after you shored it up?

i used 3/4" heatshrink on mine & it fits nice and tight like a 2nd skin, which minimizes any extra weight of the head. though if you go that route you need to have the limbs (elbows & knees) bent at their extreme position that so once you shrink it you have the articulation left.
i'll post some pics later tonight of how i did mine. really came together once flosi put this in motion. that guy is a genius.......:lecture

Interesting idea. I'm hoping to get to tinkering in my garage in a few more months. Maybe I'll give something like this a go. Have you thought about modifying a HT Jake Sully Avatar body? Could be another option.

Interesting idea. I'm hoping to get to tinkering in my garage in a few more months. Maybe I'll give something like this a go. Have you thought about modifying a HT Jake Sully Avatar body? Could be another option.

It's a pretty thick body once you think about it being scaled for a 1/6 figure... and at 18" tall you'd need to do a lot of mods on what would be a very expensive base body.

I think the Sideshow Vader is probably the best option in terms of height and build. I used a DCD Sinestro which is also a pretty good one.

I guess you'd need to trim about 2 scale feet off of Jake. I'll take a look at the DCD Sinestro and Vader when and if I take one on myself. Maybe some company will opt to do a limited run of 1:6 Chewbaccas.

Back