Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am finally just about caught up on Buffy season 8. Just finished the 6th trade. I don't have the 7th, etc but I do have the single issues. So I am going to go through all of them and find the following issue.

I had really thought it was going down hill. But after going over it again, I realize I must have been on something to think that. It's excellent!

I want to share my opinions, etc, but I want to read up to the newest issue first.

I read up till the 'Twlight' reveal issue and was just so let down that I haven't picked up any new ones since. I may eventually just finish the remaining issues of season 8 (since I've read most of it anyhow). I just wish the series was strong throughout, instead it started out great and then eventually went downhill into 'what the heck is this all about' land. All just my opinion of course. :)

Whooooaaaaa. So, issue 34 is um, uh...*bites lip* uummm...erotic. I had no problems with that issue at all!

I am really enjoying it. BUT DAMN IT! I want the slayers (sans Buffy and Faith) to lose their powers and leave em lost.

I want the two slayers to be special again. And I want the darn world to go back to not knowing about them. It's a bit too much right now. Too, in your face ish.

So is anyone still reading this series? I bought every issue up until the Twilight reveal. I felt his identity was total bs and kind of lost interest at that point.

Anyway, the final issue of the series will be out next week and I was just wondering if they've redeemed themselves at all since issue #33.

3356038-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-40-jo-chen-cover.jpg

I am really enjoying it. BUT DAMN IT! I want the slayers (sans Buffy and Faith) to lose their powers and leave em lost.

I think they are heading in that direction by destroy the seed. Eventually it has to play into the Fray series so I'm guess this is how they go back to the "one slayer" design. If you read Fray they talk about a slayer from the past banishing demons from the Earth with the help of her friends. Doesn't seem to leave any more room for Buffy stories between the end of season 8 and Fray's time.

So is anyone still reading this series? I bought every issue up until the Twilight reveal. I felt his identity was total bs and kind of lost interest at that point.

You and me both. I thought the etire thing was utter twaddle, especially the last few issues, which read like Wheodns own crackfic. :cuckoo:

So disappointing. :mad:

Season 8 has been entertaining and odd. You cant capture in comics what you had on screen. Period.

Ending was a bit weird for me. Felt like it needed at least one more book of tying up some odds and ends. I understand that they probably had the last page already in their mind but it felt choppy.

Anybody here get the Season 8 motion comic Blu-Ray/DVD? Thoughts? I saw it at the store, had no idea they made one.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about the way the series sounds like it's gone since I stopped reading it. On one hand, I may not have missed much and saved myself some disappointment, but on the other, it's a bummer to hear that the Buffyverse isn't living up.

The toughest thing for me with Season 8 was how conflicted I ended up feeling. It had some really great moments (first arc, fake Buffy issue, Faith arc, Satsu, the Fray/future arc - mostly the earlier stuff really lol) but the bad stuff (Dawn-zilla is all I feel I need to say as an example) just then seemed badder - it would have been easier to just dislike it entirely and write it off. I will be interested to keep an eye on what happens in season 9 from others but I can't bring myself to buy it consistently like I did with 8 sadly. :(

Angel & Faith on the other hand has me intrigued...

I still never finished this series. I might just pick up the motion comic on Blu-Ray and watch it in my spare time. I definitely want to finish it, just no time.

I was pretty disappointed with the wrap of season 8. It seemed to lose its Buffyness after the Fray arc.

The motion comic only covers the first 20 issues or so, so just half the season. There hasn’t been any indication they’ll finish the season, but it seems silly that they wouldn’t, even if what was released has gotten mixed reviews. The voice actors are very different from the TV actors which is okay, just reinforces this isn’t the same as the show, but then nothing will be. So my impression, it’s better than nothing, which sums up how I feel about the comics so far. Joss of course did write the season ending arc and did state they will be going on with season 9.

Definite mixed feelings about the end of 8. My expectations for anything Joss writes as being instantly superior to anything out there were not met by any of the Buffyverse comics or by Dollhouse. I guess I was spoiled by the TV shows. Actually, I know I was. But, it comes down again to mediocre Buffy/Angel being better than nothing at all. I think I’ll wait for the TPB collections for 9. 8 was definitely up and down and ended down for me. Some spoilage ahead if you do intend to get caught up.

I gave up on the Angel comic series so the whole thing about Angel being Twilight and Spike coming in on his bug ship came out of left field for me. Plus I don’t think I should have to go research an expensive Angel comic to figure out why Angel thinks this is his Sanshu (I am only kind of guessing from the Buffy comics obviously—I assume this is why he is so, okay, I’m Twilight, I’ll trick Buffy into ascending with me to this higher dimension), or why Spike is head of a ship of alien bugs to understand the Buffy wrap. I really became disinterested in the Angel story maybe 12 issues in—crappy art, so-so writing, and just too dark. I don’t think I laughed at all reading it. So different from the television show. I gave up on Angel well before I started phoning it in for Buffy with the Retreat arc, hoping that’d get better. From his crossover into Buffy, I don’t think my instincts were wrong about the wreck the comics did to his story. Unfortunately, re-combining the two stories back into Buffy felt forced, even though they apparently were moving this way from the first Buffy S8 episode with Twilight.

Stripping Buffy of her entire supporting cast just… sucks. I can see why it was done, but Willow, Xander and Giles were just as important reasons for watching the show as Buffy and Angel (and Spike). Depowering Willow leaves the door open for more of her in season 9 since her gaining some power back and going dark was foretold in Fray but it sure seems like bye-bye Giles forever, and I can’t see Xander and Dawn making anything more than cameos as they get to lead normal lives now.

Buffy doesn’t even have a Watcher anymore. Logically, I can see this is where Joss was taking Buffy’s story – back to basics, a precursor to Fray. It is truly a reboot of the franchise, but unfortunately I just don’t find it as addictive as I used to. The whole bit we debated about Joss’s vision of Buffy being the end-all and be-all kind of back-fired for me. If the comics are Buffy canon, I gotta say, I’m kind of disappointed. Maybe I should’ve stayed blissfully ignorant with the DVDs of anything post-TV show…

Anyway, I’m still a Buffy fan, so I know I’ll be following Season 9 though probably in TPB format only and definitely will give the Angel/Faith series a shot too. Even if my faith isn’t restored in the rebooted-Buffyverse, I’ll always be a fan of the DVDs.

I've been collecting the series monthly, and not sure if it would read better in collected form or not, but overall I can't really say it was good or bad. It was okay I guess. Certainly a lot better than the IDW stuff that came out. I gave up on those issues a while back. It didn't help also that they had so many spin off! But I'll be buying the new Angel and Faith series for sure.

Just finished the motion comic, was pretty good. There are some good issues and some bad issues. I think I will finish off the series though, got me interested enough.

Back