Buffy and Angel 12" lines on hold

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One problem is that sideshow failed to deliver in a timely fashion. Fans screamed for Giles and Xander and then they made them after the demand dropped.

They are letting the ship pass them by on the Lord Of The Rings, and this is the height of Indiana Jones and they have one figure.
that's why HT is the wave of the future. by the end of the year ill have 3 batman figures, 2 batman vehicles and 1 empty bank account. but well worth it.

One problem is that sideshow failed to deliver in a timely fashion. Fans screamed for Giles and Xander and then they made them after the demand dropped.

They are letting the ship pass them by on the Lord Of The Rings, and this is the height of Indiana Jones and they have one figure.

Or wasting a spot on a monster from an entirely forgettable episode (Der Kindestod)

Are you kiddin' me?

Spike
Angel
Buffy
Xander
Giles
Oz
are all dead ringers or at the very least strong resemblance and they all sold out at a good pace until the last two releases. SSC dropped the ball by putting out too many obscure characters before the core was done. They subscribe to a belief that you have to sprinkle the line with secondary characters. By the time Giles was made, the hype died and the sales suffered.

Willow and Faith weren't close at all but they were the exception. In Sideshow's history their sculpts have always been their strongest selling point.

Are you kiddin' me?

Spike
Angel
Buffy
Xander
Giles
Oz
are all dead ringers or at the very least strong resemblance and they all sold out at a good pace until the last two releases. SSC dropped the ball by putting out too many obscure characters before the core was done. They subscribe to a belief that you have to sprinkle the line with secondary characters. By the time Giles was made, the hype died and the sales suffered.

Willow and Faith weren't close at all but they were the exception. In Sideshow's history their sculpts have always been their strongest selling point.
i agree. the head sculpts are on. especially the first 3. i hate the faith one(sorry). i hate willow but i own her. i bought her repainted and she looks a little better but not perfect. but you have to have a willow in the collection. you just have to. so what are we supposed to do.:lol
oz, xander, giles, and dyhoffryn all look perfect except for sub par paint jobs. the paint jobs dont suck but they could be a little better. human spike will always be my favorite SS sculpt. it's so real looking its scary. i dont plan on selling any of my SS figures but if i ever had to i would never sell spike.

Despite the fact I personally prefer to give artists free rein in the scanned vs. hand sculpted debate, I have to say Grad Buffy, Angel, and Spike were by far their best sculpts. After that it was a few hits and quite a few misses.

I guess it was understandable to release those Big 3 first, considering the line was new, SS probably didn't know if it would continue, etc. which is maybe why they handled the PF line the way they did too. But it set the bar too high for what was to follow and justified the mediocre and sometimes bizarre obscure figure choices we slogged to to get to the core characters in order to finally end, with a dying gasp, on Giles.

Hindsight is 20/20 but...

After those 3 excellent releases, progressively inferior redux after redux of those 3 main characters in order to keep them in the active lineup. As if the show didn't have other equally important characters. It was an ensemble cast after all.

Obscure MOTW and one-shot characters like Vampire Buffy, Darla, Willow, and even Druscilla in vamp face instead of iconic Big Bads like The Mayor, Dark Willow, Glory, or major bad guys like Caleb or the Judge. Dru and Darla are sticking points—why not the human faces? I would’ve liked those infinitely more. Maybe the old standby explanation of monsters are easier to sculpt than humans is true. But then, the vamp portraits except for Buffy which was just overlaid over Olaf’s scanned portrait IMO all were poor portraits. I think so anyway—very little resemblance to the actors in vamp face.

Waiting too long to release Xander, Willow, and Giles.

Releasing major, core, popular characters (Willow, Faith) with truly off portraits. Faith was bad enough, but Willow was a lot of fans’ favorite character. She was and still is mine. What personally kept me hopeful and still committed to the line was the possibility they would do a redux of her with a better portrait, maybe from the later seasons. Instead we got Billy Idol and fancy pants Angel.

Dropping the line before finishing with major secondary characters—i.e., Anya, Tara, and Dawn.

Limiting the exclusives to 1 piece per customer even toward the end of the line—why keep that in place with demand decreasing?

With that all said, you guys have to admit, on top of Sideshow’s mistakes, Buffy and Angel fans are as fickle as you can get. Figures are figures—sure, they were late on Giles and the Angel… er, trio (sigh), but those were among the best releases and still were the slowest sellers. At $40 each, they weren’t too expensive, either. Let’s face it. A mass-produced toy can’t be made for just 100 die-hard fans, no matter how vocal they are.

And on that note…

He-Willow is again on sale! How many can they still have after the Spooktacular and $1 shipping blowout? And still there are more!

Yeah and you would think SSC would learn. They have made the same mistake of not completing lines promptly with Planet Of The Apes, X-Files, Highlander, Bond, and Indiana Jones seems to be on this course as well with only one figure announced after a whole year and movie about to move out of the last remaining theaters.

Here is my opinion :
LIST 1 : well done and good choice : Graduation Day Buffy, School Hard Spike, Becoming Angel, Giles, Xander, Oz, Master, Lorne, You're Welcome Cordelia, City of Angel.

LIST 2 : well done but less necessary : vampire Angel, vampire Spike, vampire Drusilla (but a human Drusilla would have a better choice, vampire Darla (same problem than Drusilla), werewolf Oz

LIST 3 : well done but really not necessary : D'Hoffryn, Der Kindestod, Origins Angel, vampire Willow, vampire Buffy

LIST 4 : necessary but bad done : Willow (only the face, because I like everything else), Faith

LIST 5 : really not necessary and bad done : Prophecy Girl Buffy (horrible rooted hair and big head and bad paintjob that ruin the good headsculpt), punk Spike (only the face, because the rest is good).

So LIST 1 is perfect for any collection.
LIST 4 would have been also perfect in any collection with better headscupts.
LIST 2 is perfect if you want good choices of demon faces.
LIST 3 and 5 should not exist even if most of those figures are well done. Instead of those 7 figures, they should have done at least those 7 figures : Anya, Tara, Riley and Dawn for Buffy, and Wesley, Fred and Gunn for Angel.

The Buffy/Angel 12" line is dead. Dead dead dead. There, I said it. :monkey2

I long for the day that Sideshow proves me wrong, however... :lol

I, too, feel the empty spot in my Buffy/Angel lines. There were SO many lovely possibilites, and I was so sure that Anya would be released, especially when Sideshow announced D'Hoffryn. I mean, how can you have D'Hoffryn and not Anya? (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE D'Hoffryn; Sideshow had me at the little monster tail sticking out of the hole-punched gift box :banana .)

The 'core' gang, as indicated in the Buffy finale, was always Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles. I suppose that's what Sideshow means when they've said all the 'core' characters are represented.

The 'core' gang of Angel is a little more liquid, IMO. We have Angel and Cordelia. Wouldn't/shouldn't the 'core' include Doyle and Wesley, at minimum? Or do we say Gunn and Fred complete the Angel 'core' group? :confused:

Generally speaking, for me there have been and still are soooo many other figures I would have liked to see from both lines, but especially Anya, Tara, and Wesley. :monkey3

The 'core' gang of Angel is a little more liquid, IMO. We have Angel and Cordelia. Wouldn't/shouldn't the 'core' include Doyle and Wesley, at minimum? Or do we say Gunn and Fred complete the Angel 'core' group? :confused:

The core Team Angel would be Angel, Cordy, Wes, Gunn, Fred and Lorne. Doyle was a great character, but his time on the show was far too short to be considered a core member imo. Same goes for Illyria and Spike.

Are you kiddin' me?

Spike
Angel
Buffy
Xander
Giles
Oz
are all dead ringers or at the very least strong resemblance

Are YOU kidding ME!!!

Although you are dead on regarding the guys of BTVS but Buffy looked way too old and did not have that knowing smirk she usually had when cracking jokes about the ghoul of the evening. Willow looked nothing like Hannigan and looked frightened. Faith just looked whipped

Then there is the fact that they left out Dawn, Anya, Skip and the nerds. The did the doppleganger Willow but not the Dark Witch Willow? geez

Are YOU kidding ME!!!

Although you are dead on regarding the guys of BTVS but Buffy looked way too old and did not have that knowing smirk she usually had when cracking jokes about the ghoul of the evening. Willow looked nothing like Hannigan and looked frightened. Faith just looked whipped

Then there is the fact that they left out Dawn, Anya, Skip and the nerds. The did the doppleganger Willow but not the Dark Witch Willow? geez

And you meant to add, they did vamp willow and NOT vamp xander. Hello, they kind of go together. But I truly am glad they didn't do the trio. I wouldn't have bought them. Maybe Andrew, but that's it.

I keep meaning to have a go at doing a vamp Xander custom. Lets face it, it would be an easy one to put together. I have a space 'City of ' Angel outfit that would work wonderfully as his outfit.

I keep meaning to have a go at doing a vamp Xander custom. Lets face it, it would be an easy one to put together. I have a space 'City of ' Angel outfit that would work wonderfully as his outfit.

Hey Sue,

Funny you mention that, Im working on vamp Xander I just cant figure out the right combo of paints for his skin tone. Sculptin and out fit is complete though. I am using COA Angels gear for him too.

HL2

Hey Sue,

Funny you mention that, Im working on vamp Xander I just cant figure out the right combo of paints for his skin tone. Sculptin and out fit is complete though. I am using COA Angels gear for him too.

HL2

Buy my Hush figure and come on MSN so we chat some Buffy bud.

btw I just got my Spike PF! He's awesome!

Hey Sue,

HL2

Yeah, thats what I chose to use too. :rolleyes: I mean those clothes are perfect aren't they.

Last edited:
Even though the lines are on hold, it gives me & my twin brother time to hunt down some figures we don't have in our collection yet.
My brother just won Werewolf Oz off eBay for $52.
He can't wait to get him.
:chew

Back