[Blitzway] The Silence of the Lambs: Hannibal Lecter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome.
If only it was 1/6th scale... All my horror related figs are so there's no reason to get a 1/4th one. :(

Re: Blitzway 1/6 Scale Hannibal Lecter

So the first Friday the 13th isn't horror? And Lecter is no less a monster than Leatherface. He just doesn't look like a lunatic and can speak English.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

IMO SOTL is a primarily crime drama with elements of horror. Friday and Chainsaw focus on the scares while the character building and story take a back seat. SOTL on the other hand focuses on the plot/characters and sprinkles in the horror aspects here and there.

Exactly my point. Why exactly can't a horror film be story or character driven while still being considered belonging to the genre?

Comedy, action, drama, ect are genres which cover a wide range of styles and formulas. Horror is the only one in which we apply such a narrow definition to, the extent to which is usually inversely correlated to quality. The better (or rather more cerebral) the film is, the more we try and state that it must not be horror. Even though any film at all that is made to frighten or unsettle the audience qualifies as being part of the genre. Including every single one discussed in this thread, which are all horror films. Just ones that vary in their style.

Too me it depends on the intent of the film makers. SOTL's intent seems to be more focused on the crime solving techniques/character interactions above all. Now take for example The Exorcist. It's considered well made, well acted with good character interaction but no one would call it anything but a horror movie. It's clear those involved making The Exorcist were out to scare the **** out of you.

I agree with Shadow and karamazov.

The vaguest genre definition is "drama" IMO. That can apply to almost anything that isn't comedy, really.. and even comedy in some ways.

Horror is multi-faceted. Perhaps Silence of the Lambs is more of a thriller than a horror film, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a horror movie in many ways.

I can't remember which director it was who set his own definition that to be a horror film it had to have a supernatural element. The alternative is thriller, which is what Silence of the Lambs is.

I agree that SOTL is a thriller rather than horror but don't think horror needs to be supernatural. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has nothing to do with the supernatural but is certainly a horror movie.

I agree that SOTL is a thriller rather than horror but don't think horror needs to be supernatural. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has nothing to do with the supernatural but is certainly a horror movie.

I often think movies like TCM, FT13th, anything by that over-rated hack Eli Roth, etc., belong in their own sub-category of Horror (the Blood and Guts Horror). They have nothing to do with intelligent scripts, acting, plot or character -- it's all about grossing people out. Movies like Seven, Silence/Lambs, Alien and Alien 3 could also be considered horror in their own way, but to me, they're more mystery/thrillers, and sci-fi, yet they each had horror elements (some blood, and some scary moments).

SOTL isn't horro because it's story and character driven and dialog heavy. Poltergeist is horror because it's made to try to scare you, not engross you in the actual characters or really even the story. Friday the 13th Texas chainsaw etc etc are all about the kills.

I thought about separating them that way, but then you have American Werewolf, The Howling, Dracula, The Evil Dead, Jaws.....

I dunno maybe it's about having a monster to make it Horror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of it comes down to tone and the Director's intent as someone else pointed out...is the Filmmaker trying to scare the audience or just scare the characters within the movie? If I were to say "they find a cult that forces people to drink blood and join them and then they lower someone into a flame pit after the cult leader rips his still beating heart from his chest which then bursts into flames" some would say "Horror Movie!" I would say "sorry Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ain't a Horror Movie..."

I think a lot of it comes down to tone and the Director's intent as someone else pointed out...is the Filmmaker trying to scare the audience or just scare the characters within the movie? If I were to say "they find a cult that forces people to drink blood and join them and then they lower someone into a flame pit after the cult leader rips his still beating heart from his chest which then bursts into flames" some would say "Horror Movie!" I would say "sorry Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ain't a Horror Movie..."

Good post!

:exactly:

There isn't a pervasive mood of dread and anxiety in Temple of Doom. And the protagonist isn't a victim, but an adventurer, and action and fun are the prevailing moods in the film. In that sense, it isn't a horror film, though there are scenes that are representative of horror--pulling the heart out of the guy's chest. Similarly, Spider-Man 2's scene with Doc Ock being created is a horror scene, but the film isn't horror. If those were the dominant types of scenes in the films, then they would be horror films. I agree with you that the director's intentions and approach matters. But I think that a horror film can be either a series of jump scares like your standard hidden camera/haunted house movies we get all the time now, or Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street, or slow burn, moody exercises in anxiety like Lambs, the Thing, Psycho, It Follows, etc., and everything in-between. Some have monsters, some don't. Some involve lots of kills, some don't. Some have more gore than others. But they all have malevolent threats of a sort, they all have victims of a sort (usually as protagonists though that sometimes gets turned on its head), and they all create a feeling of terror and/or anxiety that dominate the film in one way or another.

Michael Crawford confirmed on facebook that's a figure.

sdcc2017-blitzway-12.jpg

I love this one.

I am starting to think I am going to be a bigger BW fan than HT in terms of overall choices they make.

I am going to get the Lecter on Gurney.

I am actually hoping by this is all one set. Blitzway could do it. But likely they will go the way of Tyler and make 2[emoji30].

I am starting to think I am going to be a bigger BW fan than HT in terms of overall choices they make.

If you're talking the percentage of their releases that I'm interested in, I'm with you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I am going to get the Lecter on Gurney.

I am actually hoping by this is all one set. Blitzway could do it. But likely they will go the way of Tyler and make 2[emoji30].

I am with you there...I am far more interested in the shelves in my collection that feature figures from great or relevant films versus the rapidly dwindling part of my collection that features annually upgraded super hero costumes...

Back