Black leather, single-breasted coat. Does it exist?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mau

Super Freak
Reaction score
I need a long, black, leather, single-breasted trench coat for a Sin City Marv bash I am working on. I know there are a slew of WWII German greatcoats, but all are double-breasted. The only other ones I have seen are from NECA Crow and SS Toht, neither of which are readily available.

I did get a DiD Becker trench which looks great, but which ended up being dark green (the seller didn't state which coat it was and the photo made it look black. Only discovered when I opened the package). So, another option is to dye that. However, I don't want to use anything that will rub off onto the figure.

Ideas?

164094260_2dbabf1e4a.jpg

Funnily enough, I had a look at that one today. It is single breasted, but has all sorts of unneccessary detailing on the sleeves, if you look at the rear view. Shame. I am always happy to give Collectable Kitbash my money.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Hi Mau, another option is to paint the DiD Becker trench using black acrylic. I used Citadel Chaos Black on this one for a Blade Runner "Leon" figure:

Leon-2.jpg

When it's dried the acrylic paint doesn't come off on to the figure and the coat is still pretty flexible. :)

Hey, that looks great, Lt Dan. And the paint doesn't crack or flake on that flexible surface? I handle my figures quite a bit so I need a resilient finish. But keeping the Becker coat and colouring it in some way is starting to look like an appealing option. It is a damn fine coat. ;)

You can paint leather with acrylics and it doesn't crack. Vallejo paints seems to be better for it though as they are more ink like.

I painted the coat about a year ago and the acrylic seems pretty durable on the p-leather. I don't tend to handle it a lot, but I haven't noticed any signs of cracking or flaking. If you can get hold of Vallejo paints easily, then I would go with CBobs recommendation as they are good, but otherwise Citadel will do the job. :)

Cheers Lt Dan. I have a Games Workshop in town, but can get Vallejo paints off eBay and, seeing as I am likely to use it again, I might as well go with the best option I can.

Anyone know how to prep the surface before painting? I don't trust acetone to clean it, but saw that some vinyl dye sites recommend cleaning with Cillit Bang(!) Wonder if ordinary kitchen cleaner would do the job, wiped off with clean water. It only needs to remove grease without leaving a residue, after all.

Thanks all for your help.

And another question. Having a look through Vallejo's colours, there is a glossy black and a matt black. Anyone know how glossy the glossy is and how matt the matt? Obviously, for leather, I would ideally like a satin finish. Which is most likely to come close to that?

Cheers.

Unless the coat is particularly dirty or greasy, you shouldn't need to prep it for the black acrylic.
As for satin black, I don't know which Vallejo one would work best. All I can say is, the Citadel black looked good to me when I finished. ;) :lol

Thanks. I will give it wipe down with detergent as it has probably been handled quite a bit before it got to me and I know from bitter experience that fingerprints and paint don't mix well.

If you feel the need to degrease the coat, use isopropyl alcohol. Won't melt anything, and leaves no residue.

Back