BIOSHOCK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because 9 times out of 10 movies based on videogames suck. Name 5 movies based on videogames that are generally accepted as "great" films? I'll wait.. :D

But at the same time, almost EVERY movie made from a video game didn't have a viable story for adaptation. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter didn't have a clear story that could be adapted to the screen. Bioshock DOES and we should hope that they do it well. If they do, it should be a good film.

But at the same time, almost EVERY movie made from a video game didn't have a viable story for adaptation. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter didn't have a clear story that could be adapted to the screen. Bioshock DOES and we should hope that they do it well. If they do, it should be a good film.

Yes and No. First and foremost movies like this are for fans. And as a fan, and as someone who played the game, realistically how excited can you get!? You already know what's going to happen. You already know the biggest twist: Would you kindly agree? :D

So it's a double edged sword. Yes Bioshock actually has a story.. but the film makers risk BORING their core audience if they just rehash the ENTIRE story from the game.

Because 9 times out of 10 movies based on videogames suck. Name 5 movies based on videogames that are generally accepted as "great" films? I'll wait.. :D

:lol Bioshock won't be good. There's no need to adapt something like this to the big screen. Video games was the perfect medium for it. It put you right there in the shoes of the character. Movies can't really do that as effectively. And then on the other side of the spectrum studios try to adapt already really cinematic gaming experiences like Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid. Video game movies are cash ins and (99& of the time) there are no good reason for them to be made.

:lol Bioshock won't be good. There's no need to adapt something like this to the big screen. Video games was the perfect medium for it. It put you right there in the shoes of the character. Movies can't really do that as effectively. And then on the other side of the spectrum studios try to adapt already really cinematic gaming experiences like Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid. Video game movies are cash ins and (99& of the time) there are no good reason for them to be made.

100% agreed. It's sad really.. Hollywood has devolved into ONLY wanting rehashed material. Rarely if ever nowadays do you see a movie that's original. It's either a remake or based on some other source material (books, cartoons, videogames) and in certain special cases i.e. "I AM LEGEND" a remake of a remake based on a book. :duh

Yes and No. First and foremost movies like this are for fans. And as a fan, and as someone who played the game, realistically how excited can you get!? You already know what's going to happen. You already know the biggest twist: Would you kindly agree? :D

So it's a double edged sword. Yes Bioshock actually has a story.. but the film makers risk BORING their core audience if they just rehash the ENTIRE story from the game.

ooookay, so you're saying that because the core audience is already familiar with the story they wouldn't be excited for a film adaptation?

Last time I checked lots of people watch movie adaptations of novels and comics...twists and all. I guess Lord of the Rings nerds like being bored while in the movie theater. That's why those movies made so much money and garnered so much aclaim. I guess there's no reason why so many people went to see Spider-man even though they knew he defeats Green Goblin and saves Mary Jane in the comics.

I'll stay positive about Bioshock, but cautious all the same.

Well, that wouldnt be Gore's issue, that would be the studios.

Pirates movies had some pretty gory momets for a Disney movie.

Article by Henok Kidane
"Bioshock" Movie On The Ropes

I get it, you know? Everyone has a "property" that they love - the Harry Potter franchise, the Twilight books, Transformers, whatever. They love it so much, in fact, that they fell it should be made available to as many people as possible, in every form that can be utilized. Take a book, turn it into a movie, make a game based on the movie, write a fiction book explaining the finer points of the game’s plot, all the while working on a sequel. Hell, I have a friend who swears up and down that the "Wheel of Time" book series should be made into an MMORPG, so I’ve heard all the reasons behind feeling that way.

I personally don’t feel like that’s always the best possible route, though. Sometimes an artistic vision conceived for a specific medium can only be fully and properly related within that medium, and converting it to another one lessens it drastically. So I wasn’t exactly disappointed when news that Universal Pictures and Gore Verbinski were having so much trouble dropping the budget for "Bioshock" below $160 million (when the original budget was estimated to be $130 million) that they’ve spiked pre-production in order to more fully focus on ways to cut corners on a film based on a video-game whose second strongest selling point was its beautifully detailed underwater steampunk setting.

“We were asked by Universal to move the film outside the U.S. to take advantage of a tax credit,” Verbinski said in a Variety interview. “We are evaluating whether this is something we want to do. In the meantime, the film is in a holding pattern.” What? First of all, if you’re talking about treating your movie like a corporation that needs a federal bailout, you may need to focus less on big-budget hit-or-miss summer blockbusters and more on making sure your studio survives the recession. Second, we all know this movie’s gonna get made one way or the other; Verbinski didn’t turn down a definite big-time payday for "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" to spend his days crunching numbers.

So is anything really going to get accomplished by arguing over $30 million? If I were Verbinski, I would’ve just agreed to the original budget, made the movie I wanted, and told the studio that a 20-25% budget increase was probably better than they should have expected, all things considered. I mean, how much money is James Cameron talking about spending on "Avatar"? $150 million? $200 million? Who knows? We’ll see, though: this movie could end up going the way of the live-action Halo that was supposed to get made until Universal Pictures and Fox got scared off by the size of the budget

Verbinski doesn't sound like this is a sure thing. The only way they can afford it would be to shoot overseas and it seems like he's not willing to do that:

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times about his video game production company Blind Wink, "Pirates of the Caribbean" director Gore Verbinski elaborated further on the recent news that the BioShock movie was halted in the middle of pre-production.

"The bottom line is it has to shoot out of the States for budget reasons and my schedule may be prohibitive," said Verbinski. "There's a great script and a really interesting cast. It really comes down to the financial model now. Big movies are just not being shot in the States. I'm weighing whether I can physically go the U.K. or Australia or one of those other places with a tax rebate for a year-and-a-half."

Maybe he will do Pirates 4 after all?

Back