Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios Acquires James Bond License

If youre not satisfied with their products, but you keep buying them, at retail, at some point in my mind your argument loses steam. You cant keep chosing to buy their products and keep voicing displeasure.

BC isnt engaged in some deceit or subterfuge to get you to buy their stuff. it's an arms length transaction. Theres no adhesion where youre over a barrel and you HAVE to buy the product (like insulin or something).

I get that your passionate about their products (as we all are about something) but i know if i didnt like their stuff, i'd stop buying it. Plenty of reviews to look at before you open your wallet.

If youre not satisfied with their products, but you keep buying them, at retail, at some point in my mind your argument loses steam. You cant keep chosing to buy their products and keep voicing displeasure.

BC isnt engaged in some deceit or subterfuge to get you to buy their stuff. it's an arms length transaction. Theres no adhesion where youre over a barrel and you HAVE to buy the product (like insulin or something).

I get that your passionate about their products (as we all are about something) but i know if i didnt like their stuff, i'd stop buying it. Plenty of reviews to look at before you open your wallet.

Clearly you missed the whole 'inconsistent' part, which has been my main point all along. When they deliver the goods I'm perfectly satisfied, as I have stated repeatedly now, but what the final product will turn out like has not been in any way predictable. I like the licenses, I mostly quite like the sculpts, and the majority of the tailoring is fine. I like the prototypes shown (even if I have quibbles with some things on occasion), I don't buy anything on a whim, but there has been very little predicting what will emerge from the factory, particularly in terms of paint apps. There's been no baseline in terms of quality, so you can't look at anything released and expect that is around the same level as you'll get with the next piece. It could be better, could be worse, could be anywhere on the scale from mediocre to very good, and occasionally higher or lower than that. It feels like an expensive lucky dip, every time.

If I outright didn't like their products, if they were always a disappointment, if I had no hope of them hitting the mark, then I would have long since walked away. But they have shown me what they were capable of with certain releases. And the thing is I believe they are worthwhile and can achieve better, and do so more consistently. If I didn't I wouldn't waste time or money on them. Once again valid criticism isn't a condemnation of them or everything they do, it is merely making mention of areas I believe they need to improve upon in future. Areas they have said before they were working to improve many times. If that somehow paints me as a villain or a fool, then so be it, I guess. :)

I have faith that someday passionate internet doll collectors will learn the difference between a tactful criticism and a vitriolic attack. :pray:

This. I feel sorry for any BCS employee who has worked hard for this license and been excited for months to reveal it only to read the majority of this thread :lol

Yeah completely that's it. I have known about this for months and were so excited to announce this long over due license. We were expecting some negative comments that happens with anything sadly. But when I saw someone's comment on here. Calling us terrible and we shouldn't have it etc etc. Then others followed after that. It does kind of get to you sadly. Yeah I shouldn't rise to it, but sadly I'm that type of person. I wouldn't say anything on here I wouldn't say to someone's face in person. Yeah it can come across wrong sometimes. But typing and grammar are sadly not my strong points. Heck even painting apparently isn't my strong point according to some on other threads. Lmao.

Hopefully we can prove people with concerns wrong.

This. I feel sorry for any BCS employee who has worked hard for this license and been excited for months to reveal it only to read the majority of this thread :lol

Yeah completely that's it. I have known about this for months and were so excited to announce this long over due license. We were expecting some negative comments that happens with anything sadly. But when I saw someone's comment on here. Calling us terrible and we shouldn't have it etc etc. Then others followed after that. It does kind of get to you sadly. Yeah I shouldn't rise to it, but sadly I'm that type of person. I wouldn't say anything on here I wouldn't say to someone's face in person. Yeah it can come across wrong sometimes. But typing and grammar are sadly not my strong points. Heck even painting apparently isn't my strong point according to some on other threads. Lmao.

Hopefully we can prove people with concerns wrong.

Congrats on the license. Try not to let the bile get you down. It's all some people have. Be creative and have fun.

Clearly you missed the whole 'inconsistent' part, which has been my main point all along. When they deliver the goods I'm perfectly satisfied, as I have stated repeatedly now, but what the final product will turn out like has not been in any way predictable. I like the licenses, I mostly quite like the sculpts, and the majority of the tailoring is fine. I like the prototypes shown (even if I have quibbles with some things on occasion), I don't buy anything on a whim, but there has been very little predicting what will emerge from the factory, particularly in terms of paint apps. There's been no baseline in terms of quality, so you can't look at anything released and expect that is around the same level as you'll get with the next piece. It could be better, could be worse, could be anywhere on the scale from mediocre to very good, and occasionally higher or lower than that. It feels like an expensive lucky dip, every time.

If I outright didn't like their products, if they were always a disappointment, if I had no hope of them hitting the mark, then I would have long since walked away. But they have shown me what they were capable of with certain releases. And the thing is I believe they are worthwhile and can achieve better, and do so more consistently. If I didn't I wouldn't waste time or money on them. Once again valid criticism isn't a condemnation of them or everything they do, it is merely making mention of areas I believe they need to improve upon in future. Areas they have said before they were working to improve many times. If that somehow paints me as a villain or a fool, then so be it, I guess. :)

Ive done a bit of reading on this thread and i missed your point on your charge of inconsistency. Thats different than what i addressed above.

Hey Greggo when can we see some sculpts? Is Trevor Grove involved? I am totally in support of this line. It's a Grail. I get giddy thinking of a new Moore figure.

Someone also asked about the car too.

The first 3 head sculpts are approved. But we can't show anything until we have full approval from EON to show anything. Hopefully very soon we can show you all.

Did EON approve them or did Sean Connery have input since Gert Frobe and Harold Sakata have passed away?

Companies need to hire Hossein Diba. Anyone else see his sculptwork on Facebook? Better than KA Kim.

Trevor is not involved as I believe he's working on other products :) but never say never. As for the cars it is possible but for now we are working on the figures that's all I can say.

Someone also asked about the car too.

That was me.Somebody had to do it!!

I'll get them too Greggo.Absolutely.You know,I used to chat with Brant Bridges from Sideshow back in 2002/03 when Sideshow first announced the licence and I asked him about the viability of 1/6 vehicles,and he said,with some certainty,"I don't think you will ever see Any vehicles,in 1/6 scale,from any manufacturer,ever".I guess I was just way ahead of my time.Vehicles breathe life to the figures,particularly where the Man/machine relationship is most prominent.With ECTO-1 and the De Lorean in the wings it will make sense.Ill take a SPV too when you get round to Captain Scarlet.

Last edited:

"I would love to see the Bond girls get more attention. Honey Rider, Solitaire, Tracy, Vesper, etc."

I would as well. I'd particularly like Miss P. Galore and Honey Rider. Diana Rigg as Tracy Di Vicenzo would be great also. OHMSS was not a great movie (really good book though), but I loved Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas in it. It would be nice to see some classic Bond girls get some love.

I'm guilty of being one to throw around the word "terrible"... I'll admit it. And I stand by it too and by saying all this, similar to another post in the thread from someone who works every day in a creative role just like me; every single day I have some work **** on, and yeah it stings, but you know what? It's made me good at what I do, its given me opportunity and it's made me money. I'm responsible for the marketing creative for a 2 billion dollar retail band and you know what? I get it hard, I get harsh feedback internally and marketing people chasing me with numbers daily telling me why my decisions work or they don't work. I get social media comments about skinny models or this or that, I have to suck up and take ownership and accountability for hundred thousand dollar photo shoots that have had to be thrown out for circumstances that were not always in my control. Creative is all well and good but when it's a business it's hard.

Whether it's your client, your customer or some guy behind a keyboard you answer to someone.

Harsh feedback or not, you have your customer talking to you here... you're getting harsh but warranted and valuable feedback before you even show the product. Suck it up and prove us wrong, it's a major opportunity to look at what you're about to unveil and ask yourself is this the best we can do? Can we dig into our pockets more and invest more into production, tailoring, improvement, whatever to make this top of the line and see that investment equate to sales and loyal customers and good feedback. Companies like Blitzway have proven that a young company can hit it out of the park on a first or limited releases. These better be that good. If you're feeling confident then great! I can't wait to see what you have to show.

I want to be proven wrong more than anyone, but my standards are very very high and when it comes to Bond it's about as high as can be. And I'm highly, highly skeptical.

For the record independent from all the talk and all of the flack of BC Studios and the 007 lisence, I think Greggo is the man. Have been a big fan and supporter for years, he's a talent and a gentleman. He has the eye and taste level for the job and I can't speak for BC studios as a company but as a painter alone, he's more than got the chops. In fact if it were not for him and his tutorials I wouldn't be able to paint anything worth a damn.

That was me.Somebody had to do it!!

I'll get them too Greggo.Absolutely.You know,I used to chat with Brant Bridges from Sideshow back in 2002/03 when Sideshow first announced the licence and I asked him about the viability of 1/6 vehicles,and he said,with some certainty,"I don't think you will ever see Any vehicles,in 1/6 scale,from any manufacturer,ever".I guess I was just way ahead of my time.Vehicles breathe life to the figures,particularly where the Man/machine relationship is most prominent.With ECTO-1 and the De Lorean in the wings it will make sense.Ill take a SPV too when you get round to Captain Scarlet.

It's changed a lot since then. As I've said I can't really say much, hopefully soon we can announce more things once we are allowed of course.

Blitzway have only a few releases under their belt, and they are overtaking HT for accuracy and quality. That's a level to aim for.

Back