Big Chief Studios - Dr. Who Weeping Angels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe BCS here .... but so Sideshow Premium Format statues should cost less than articulated figures then ?

I do believe BCS here .... but so Sideshow Premium Format statues should cost less than articulated figures then ?

Well, maybe!!! Maybe no one's ever asked this question before - stranger things have happened.

It's right that there's just no comparison with Star Wars, the fan base for that is many times larger and includes more collectors of this kind of stuff.

I can well believe that plastic would cost more.

How durable is polystone - does it chip or break? The only polystone thing I've ever owned was Sideshow's Idol base that came with their 12" Belloq figure, and I didn't have that for long.

Interesting. It's possible that polystone can use a different kind of mold versus a steel mold required for plastic, which might be where a lot of the cost savings is, too. That would explain why a lot of companies cast rather (to me) odd things in polystone, like large replica laser guns and things.

Edit: did a little digging, and it seems like you can use silicone molds for polystone, which would be cheaper than steel mold for plastic. Not sure if that's what BCS is doing, but that does seem to make sense.

Last edited:

You do realize they're different sizes and scale, right? Also, the base body for a normal figure is something the molds already exist for and they maximize it by making 10000s of units with a single mold . Can't do that with a one off statue mold.

$390 for the set is out of my range. I want to get one at least but I'm not sure if even that'll happen. I'm not sure what I was expecting considering they are polystone but I still was sticker shocked.

I had to go take a look. Glad I did. No interests in paying for these angels at all now. The front page if the site is now advertising their 1st Doctor as coming soon. I like the BW image. That I'm getting.
Good luck to all those that get these angels. They are kind of nice, but not what I'm interested in.

It would cost me around $600 Australian for two Angels shipped, or $350 for just the one. That's just way too much for me, no matter how big a fan I am. By comparison, this week's Harley Quinn PF exclusive cost me less than $440 Australian, shipped.

I'll suck it up, grit my teeth, and continue to accept the need to pay a premium price for each of the Doctors as they come along, just so I can have them, maybe even grab a couple of the must-have companions as well if they ever get made (I'd love to see The Brig and Captain Jack), but I just can't justify doing the same for something like a Weeping Angel. No matter how nice it looks.

Hope those that do take the plunge enjoy them though.

I want the set, but there's NO WAY I could pre-pay. Also, I'm not entirely comfortable doing so without a solid delivery date.

It would cost me around $600 Australian for two Angels shipped, or $350 for just the one. That's just way too much for me, no matter how big a fan I am. By comparison, this week's Harley Quinn PF exclusive cost me less than $440 Australian, shipped.

I'll suck it up, grit my teeth, and continue to accept the need to pay a premium price for each of the Doctors as they come along, just so I can have them, maybe even grab a couple of the must-have companions as well if they ever get made (I'd love to see The Brig and Captain Jack), but I just can't justify doing the same for something like a Weeping Angel. No matter how nice it looks.

Hope those that do take the plunge enjoy them though.

Was there an Australian retailer who carried Amy and 11? Since these are being distributed outside of BCS (just not the two-pack version and without the cherub) you might try that. That's what I'm doing, going with a local US dealer to get a better price on it.

In the states and it's illegal here to charge the card until the item ships (except a deposit). Is England the same way?

No idea. That sounds like the beginning of an incredibly complicated discussion! It's no big deal as I'm pretty sure they won't sell out, but it's still nice to 'lay claim' to one of these figures without having to find all the cash straightaway.

Is that illegal? Because I've had to pay in full for pre-ordered things here plenty of times. I don't love doing it, but had no clue it might be illegal.

Is that illegal? Because I've had to pay in full for pre-ordered things here plenty of times. I don't love doing it, but had no clue it might be illegal.

I worked for a mail order place in Albany that told me that. Double checked and it's not legal to charge someone's card unless the item is in stock and ready for shipment. I don't remember why, but deposits are an exception, and I believe there is a limit on deposits.

Was there an Australian retailer who carried Amy and 11? Since these are being distributed outside of BCS (just not the two-pack version and without the cherub) you might try that. That's what I'm doing, going with a local US dealer to get a better price on it.

Never saw if there was, but wasn't looking for them either. Didn't want Amy, wanted (and got) the sig edition of Eleven (and Ten, and Four).

I could already save $80 Australian or so, just by pre-ordering a Weeping Angel from the US instead of from Big Chief direct and getting it shipped down here, so there's already other options (especially not caring about the Cherub exclusive), but even so, unless I see a really good price on these somewhere one day, I think I'll be saving my money for other releases regardless.

In the states and it's illegal here to charge the card until the item ships (except a deposit). Is England the same way?

Each state has it's own policies about retailers, it's not that it's illegal I believe it's more that companies have a deadline to deliver if you pay in full. I think in CA it is 90 days. Deposits don't fall under this category though, but I'm unsure about dealing internationally...

Companies that make articulated figures use the same bodies or parts of bodies for many, many different figures over a number of years. They can amortize the cost of tooling over a much greater number of products and a much longer time period.

Companies that make articulated figures use the same bodies or parts of bodies for many, many different figures over a number of years. They can amortize the cost of tooling over a much greater number of products and a much longer time period.

Although that doesn't quite explain it, here. Because this is likely to be a unique tool, too that won't be re-used again. But, I think you could point to things like the relative lower number of different paint colors and things here, I suppose. Some sideshow statues seem to get quite complex.

Back