Big Chief Studios - Dr. Who Weeping Angels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios Possible Dr. Who Weeping Angels figures?

neet. nice to finaly see some announcement/ movement on this. hey mentioned doing them a while ago, then nothing.

I want one...or two....or 3...or more.

word is they will possibly be polystone resin , heavy and very quality, stone like. thats very very cool.:yess:

High quality and heavy is good for stone figures, but ultimately unnecessary . Essentially these can come away as light weight hollow bases, with articulated arms attached, with two head options. No need to go all heavy and statue like. Price could be kept down, production run could be higher, and people would buy multiple figures.

Great news, these were first shown around 18 months ago. I would love to get them, although my main priorities are Sherlock and the new 11. Their appeal for me is that they would expand the list of 10th Doctor enemies in 12" form already available (or formerly available) from Character Options, who never made a Weeping Angel.

I wonder if these will come in different versions or with switch out heads and arms? Either way it will mean good sales as even if they come with switchable heads and arms some collectors will want every possible version on their shelves.

Edit - DVD1 beat me to it on speculating on different arms and heads. As for what he says about preferring them not resin, I would agree with that. However, I wonder if we're in the minority? A lot of collectors seem to really like polystone.

I think the poly stone direction will be taken, as methinks we are in a minority.
CO would have put these out at 20 quid and they would have have been hollow shells, articulated arms, with the one head. Their range of 5" Angels were very well done, and a larger 1:6 version based simply on those designs would have been spectacular enough.
Going poly stone increases production and therefore selling costs, as well as limiting quantities that people will get. Like the DALEKS, the empty shell format allows for less weight, lighter production, without loss of quality or aesthetics.
Anyway, time will tell how this pans out. For me though, a 150-170 quid poly stone Angel is not getting my business. A 30-40 quid articulated plastic version as I described.. I'd buy 3 or 4.

I think the poly stone direction will be taken, as methinks we are in a minority.
CO would have put these out at 20 quid and they would have have been hollow shells, articulated arms, with the one head. Their range of 5" Angels were very well done, and a larger 1:6 version based simply on those designs would have been spectacular enough.
Going poly stone increases production and therefore selling costs, as well as limiting quantities that people will get. Like the DALEKS, the empty shell format allows for less weight, lighter production, without loss of quality or aesthetics.
Anyway, time will tell his this pans out. For me though, a 150-170 quid poly stone Angel is not getting my business. A 30-40 quid articulated plastic version as I described.. I'd buy 3 or 4.

Oh sure, me too, but I think we're quite unusual in marrying up the BC line with the CO 12" line! Luckily these aren't as high a priority for me as Doctors and Sherlock, but even in polystone I think I will get one eventually if they stick around until I have the cash. The funny thing is you see so much stuff in polystone that's completely inappropriate for it, this has to be one of the few examples of polystone being used for a character that actually is made of stone. I'm pretty sure if it was plastic or vinyl we'd be happy but everyone else would be up in arms!

I'm just not a statue collector at all.
The HT Spidey ( red suit ) comes with a very good base, that corner stone. It weighs a ton, as does the alter that comes with Indy. Now, neither if these props pushed the price of the figures up. Each was 120 quid.
Now, when HT put out their black suit Spidey, they did SandMan as a rotocast plastic figure. He looks fantastic. It can be done.

I hope they're not articulated. I'd like to see all 3 of them in that pic released as 3 separate statues ...perhaps in a 3 pac.

I don't think they need to be polystone either. That's just adding weight and complexity for no real benefit.

Just release high quality PVC with a good paint job and have these out there at a cheap price point (no accessories, no clothes, no articulated bodies), shouldn't be that expensive.

I am probably skipping these... I'll make a decision when I see the price.

I believe long ago they said they wouldn't be articulated, but just have swappable parts. It's the way to go. Depending on price and where it's available, I will probably go for it. If they are $275 shipped from the UK, I probably won't to be honest.

High quality and heavy is good for stone figures, but ultimately unnecessary . Essentially these can come away as light weight hollow bases, with articulated arms attached, with two head options. No need to go all heavy and statue like. Price could be kept down, production run could be higher, and people would buy multiple figures.

Ultimately it's cheaper to release these in polystone rather than PVC or hollow plastic due to the manufacturing process. And that's fine with me - it will give the impression of stone - which is supposed to be what they are.

I want one for the top of my christmas tree.

same not a huge fan of the weeping angels, kinda dont like them at all really. but if price is good will get to go with 11th and 10th docs.

depends entirely on the price! With no retail outlets, having to order everything direct from BC is killing us in the states. Would definitely have to pass if it's heavy polystone, the shipping would be through the roof.

depends entirely on the price! With no retail outlets, having to order everything direct from BC is killing us in the states. Would definitely have to pass if it's heavy polystone, the shipping would be through the roof.

Wonder if BC could find a way to release these through retail in the US to help our friends in the states? Would that reduce shipping considerably?

Still, at least you're paying for something - we have to pay VAT ('Value Added Tax') which is just nonsense.

Well, they partnered with Diamond for 11th and Amy, which means those figures were nearly $75-$100 cheaper for us. Originally only 4th and 10th were supposed to be the BCS exclusives. So I'm hoping going forward the other figures will be available outside BCS. I know this cuts down the middle man and they get more profits... but it's things like the Weeping Angel that I'm not willing to lay the extra money out for just to get. And, to be honest, it'd get harder and harder to pull the trigger if they kept making us order direct. Maybe they could partner with a retailer like WhoNA.com to take on a couple hundred pieces, and they'd have to take less of a hit instead of having to have the distributor AND the retailer taking money in the middle?

There's nothing worse than being on the wrong side of the pond from an item you want! I gave up buying from the US years ago after a customs charge on a figure that almost doubled its price. Pure theft. Anyway, I hope a way can be found for you to get these things cheaper, especially the Angels which aren't an essential purchase like the Doctors.

word is they will possibly be polystone resin , heavy and very quality, stone like. thats very very cool.:yess:

Ugh. I'm imagining the price on something like that. I wonder if they'll come with a SE of some kind. Angel Bob? Maybe Moffat?

I only want one but if it's too pricey I'm cool with skipping these. Other than The Doctors and a couple companions, the Daleks are the only NEED villains.

Back