Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - Tenth Doctor (Series 4) David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided that I definitely prefer this new version over the first.
Not that I do not like the first version, but this new 10 is quite impressive.

Just got Mark Simpson's re painted 10 back and it looks great :)

538C2683.jpg

Agreed. Even if they couldn't bring it up to that level, they surely could have given us something better than the basic Hasbro paintjob it came with. Especially for a figure that costs as much as this one.

Agreed. Even if they couldn't bring it up to that level, they surely could have given us something better than the basic Hasbro paintjob it came with. Especially for a figure that costs as much as this one.

The skin tone was pretty flat but acceptable - it was textured, Caucasian, and had no obvious faults like too much stubble. I think it's a little harsh to call it 'basic Hasbro'! On the other hand the eyes, in my opinion, are pretty awful. They look glassy. I also think the fact that the head is a little too large magnifies the poor paintwork on the eyes. The Hartnell head was too large but not so much that it affected the look as much as this one does (and Hartnell had a fantastic paint job).

My new Tennant head is destined for a Waters of Mars custom using the CO spacesuit.

Got my commissioner Gordon shirt today and its light blue/grey. It looks pretty good.

20151203_212055_zps3z7vpu7t.jpg

I also made some shoulder pads for my coat and really like it now. I also got a dark blue shirt and made a tie.

20151203_212444_zps6b3it4mv.jpg

They both look great Cadaver! I've always displayed my Tennant without the coat but just recently I've begun to appreciate how good it can look with a lot of futzing.

They both look great Cadaver! I've always displayed my Tennant without the coat but just recently I've begun to appreciate how good it can look with a lot of futzing.

Thanks! the coat does take a lot of futzing to make it look good. I made shoulder pads out of 4 layers of hobby foam and popped them between the coat and the lining to get that broad shoulder look. i also added a seam along the edge of the coat like the actual coat has and it really helps to get rid of the puffy look.

Yeah I received my Gordon shirt as well, and it does look like the perfect color.

And that's a good idea about padding the shoulders on the coat, although mine is so tight there that I don't know if I can get it looking as good as yours.

Yeah I received my Gordon shirt as well, and it does look like the perfect color.

And that's a good idea about padding the shoulders on the coat, although mine is so tight there that I don't know if I can get it looking as good as yours.

It might still work. all it really does is pull up the sleeves for the extra room. I can take a picture of the pads if you want.

Thanks! the coat does take a lot of futzing to make it look good. I made shoulder pads out of 4 layers of hobby foam and popped them between the coat and the lining to get that broad shoulder look. i also added a seam along the edge of the coat like the actual coat has and it really helps to get rid of the puffy look.

Oh, I do like the extra padding in the shoulders! Very nice.

agreed that was a clever idea and seems to make a big diff in appearance!:clap

When I missed the first one I swore if they released another one I wouldn't flinch in getting it. But now, I am not sure at all. I just recently sold a bunch of Sideshow Star Wars original trilogy figures and upgraded and pre-ordered to Hot Toys. The only Sideshow figure I have left is Indiana Jones, and I kind of cringe looking at it now. So, I got to say I love the Tenth Doctor and would love to have 1/6 version but I am leery because I am afraid I will be disappointed; especially with the price. I don't think it has to be at Hot Toys level for me to be happy with it, but when I hear things like "hasbro" being thrown around that is concerning.

It's hard to tell for sure from pictures - some pictures look great, others indeed look like "hasbro". I am wondering if anyone who has this also has some Hot Toys figures if they could take some side by side pictures with him. Again, not that he is expected to be on Hot Toy's level, but I just don't want him looking ridiculous when displayed near Hot Toys figures. Any human Hot Toys figure will do, but let me tell you some that I have just so you know what I have in person when looking at the comparison pictures. Here is what I have that the Doctor could potentially be posed near on my shelves - Hot Toys Bespin Luke, Han Solo, Ben Kenobi, Christopher Reeve Superman, Ark Reactor Tony Stark, and AOU Thor.

Also, where is the best place to buy in the US?

If you're a big Ten fan, I'd say this is still a cool enough figure to display on his own somewhere (especially when you factor in the great looking costume)... but yeah if you're putting it up right next to a HT figure the head will look pretty simple and cartoonish in comparison, especially right out of the box without any kind of repaint.

That was my feeling anyway; others here seem to be a lot happier with the factory paintjob.

Is display my Big Chief figures in a detolf with my Hot Toys and think they go together well. They're not Hot Toys quality in terms of paint jobs and tailoring but they're certainly a step above Sideshow and their efforts and far better than Hasbro toys.

Back