Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - Tenth Doctor (Series 4) David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have missed the info about the shirt and the tie. Thank you, I shall have a look. I am just worried that it is very fiddly work and I won't be able to get it re-tied.
I had to take off the clothes for both the Eleventh and the Ninth Doctor as their shoulder joint was broken and I had to glue it back on but at least they had no ties so it was easier.

Their bodies are known for going loose fairly quickly. I dont know if thats been corrected yet. I bought this 10 but it was terrible compared to the brown suit version which ive kept and really like. The paint app was so much better back then. At present, BC are very hit and miss sadly more miss.

Ive seen rose, 9 and war figures in hand and they look very very different to the promos. I wanted to own all the doctors but frankly big chief really need to step up their game. The quality does not match their prices and i certainly think pertwee will look nothing like their promos. Hope im wrong but i doubt i will be.

Finally got my 10th doctor figure yesterday :yess: I wanted him for a long time now, it's my first 1/6 figure ( never took the jump and buy one, its scary at first to put so much money at a figure ^^ ) But now that i have him, he is just perfect. No regret at all and i'am amaze by the quality. I read and seen a lot of bad things about him ( not that good face paint, coat too big, accesories badly paint). But in fact when you have him in hand, he is just fantastic. The likeness is incredible, and the paint really good, you can see the different colours in his hair and all. The suit, the shoes, are really well done. The accesories are remarquably painted for things this small. Its been a long time since i was so happy to receive something, so i'am really excited to have him ^^ I order the war and 9th doctor in the same time so i cant wait to receive them in the next few weeks.

There is still some issues with it i must admit :

-Even if the coat is not as baggy as i thought, you can still see around the shoulders that it is a bit too big. But i'm sure that can be fix.
-The glasses are nice but they dont properly fit on the head, from some angles they look good but in other its just awful.

Here are some pictures i took yesterday, i'll try to post more when i learn how to perfectly pose it.

ps : anyone also got a stand with just "doctor who" on it and not a gallifreyan symbol ? i thought they all come with gallifreyan one ?
9svFTr
c2gqXk.jpg
pSdZD9.jpg
7Gh9Kz.jpg
ug6a7r.jpg
pjmuAf.jpg
3n4oe8.jpg
TRlBGv.jpg
4WiqhR.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8537/ffFzIk.jpg
9MGM1H.jpg
1DCLDf.jpg
rbJTAs.jpg
Nice pick up and posing...The re-release second run still has poor paint apps though...which is disappointing as the sculpt is excellent and one of BC best with a better likeness to Tennant than the cartoony look of the first version...
Meh. The detail is ok but not brilliant. This was the first and only time i was dissapointed with a figure, so much so that i sent him back. The paint app is terrible and its no surprise that so many people sent the hs off to be repainted. The coat is too light, hair is too dark and the blue is too dark also. BC bodies are also still terrible and joints get loose very quickly (dont get me started on that damn creepy pj version they did).

If this is your first figure, wait till you buy a Hot Toys figure, then you will see how poor this is in comparison. Big chief still arent quite there yet and shouldnt be charging what they charge for their figs. The promos for this 10, 9 and war doctors looked amazing but thats not what people received. Their 3rd doctor looks incredible, but i guarantee the figure you receive will not look anywhere near as good. Its time BC sorted it out and stopped blaming the factories all the time. Theyve claimed to have changed factories quite a few times now and still they cant get it right. When you charge people hot toys prices and send out subpar figures, theres something wrong and i dont know why people keep throwing money at them and delude themselves into thinking they are great. Their rose figure is atrocious yet people think its near perfect.

Since geewhiz did the tailoring for pertwee, i expect the clothes will be near flawless. The headsculpt however will probably be pretty decent but heavily let down by the paintwork. Im also expecting mcgann to be a let down and looks to be that way from their recent crosseyed, broad shouldered picture they released.
Geewhiz have only done the tailoring on the protos...the production run will be a different matter...

Geewhiz only did the proto? Oh well.

And mark simpson is great. I had him do the kray twins for me

20196733_741989316004417_1539780281_o.jpg

So a couple months back Big Chief announced that as part of their 10 year celebration of getting this license, they will be re-doing a couple of their earlier figures, similar to the new version of Tom Baker. While they don't officially say it by name, its obvious from the black silhouettes that it is Tennant and Smith.

Tennant is a decent figure, however the tailoring and paint job were pretty mediocre even by the standards of the time it came out. It could really do with a makeover. Hopefully we will see something soon.

Well all things considered, we'll see the re-done figures by 2025 at BCS speeds. Though I am interested if they can nail their paint quality at production level. I'd love an 11 who isn't significantly...less refined than other 1/6 company counterparts.

Well all things considered, we'll see the re-done figures by 2025 at BCS speeds. Though I am interested if they can nail their paint quality at production level. I'd love an 11 who isn't significantly...less refined than other 1/6 company counterparts.

Yea, the first figure of 11's clothes aren't actually all that bad by Big Chief standards, but that head looks nothing like him. Its a shame we never got the planned "Big Bang" expansion of him, as that smiling headsculpt actually had a pretty decent likeness.

Its weird because if you look at the original sculpts for these figures they are pretty great, but as you mentioned the production paint always makes all of them look like garbage. And the tailoring isn't too much better. Ive seriously considered ordering a custom coat for my 12th doctor figure just because I hate the one he comes with so much.

A lot is going to be riding on how that new Tom Baker figure turns out. If they can prove that they can up their game on these new versions id definitely be in for the new Tennant and Smith. But if all that is new and improved is their profits than its "fool me twice, shame on me".

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the heads were garbage or the paint mediocre. Because, for the 10th doctor for exemple, the sculpt is great and the paint isn't bad, its just simply not there. It looks more like they put a base color and then forgot to paint the rest. I also don't see whats the issue with the tailoring ? Its seems quite fine to me (except for the coat which is just awful).
And will already kinda know how the quality of their new figure will be. The 8th doctor figure show the quality they can do, and except for a few issue which seems more to be due to the fact that the figure was delayed and they didn't took more time to finish some stuff. And it look quite good and on part with nowadays 1/6 figures. And the 3rd and 13th doctor will show even more of the quality we can except for the future figures.

Envoy? de mon SM-A505FN en utilisant Tapatalk

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the heads were garbage or the paint mediocre. Because, for the 10th doctor for exemple, the sculpt is great and the paint isn't bad, its just simply not there. It looks more like they put a base color and then forgot to paint the rest. I also don't see whats the issue with the tailoring ? Its seems quite fine to me (except for the coat which is just awful).
And will already kinda know how the quality of their new figure will be. The 8th doctor figure show the quality they can do, and except for a few issue which seems more to be due to the fact that the figure was delayed and they didn't took more time to finish some stuff. And it look quite good and on part with nowadays 1/6 figures. And the 3rd and 13th doctor will show even more of the quality we can except for the future figures.

Envoy? de mon SM-A505FN en utilisant Tapatalk

The 10th Doctor with spiked hair was definitely one of the better ones, but figures like The First Doctor and Clara were a joke when it came to paint apps. And the original brown suit 10th Doctor figure is only a step or two above a Hasbro figure.

As for the tailoring, there was that terrible coat, but even the suit is not much better. It is way too puffy, doesn't sit on him right, the stripes are ridiculously out of scale, and not even the right color.

Also, the fact that Big Chief didn't take time to finish the 8th Doctor should if anything make people more worried about the quality we can expect from future releases.

Ive always felt big chief to be ok. The problem is they charge high end prices on figures that arent high end. The figure you get is so far from the promo pics it borders false advertising.

Excluding rose (frankly horrible in every way) the sculpts are pretty good. The paint app always feels half finished. Tailoring isnt too bad either however, the brown suited 10s coat is far superior to the one you get with the blue suited 10.

Ive owned a few of their figs but when i bought series 4 10th dr, i said no more and sent him back. They need to up their game. When you can get doc ock for 150pounds and it turns out just as good or better than anything big chief have done you know theyre overpricing things. I actually cant believe people are shelling out 160pounds for K-9!! Easily 80pounds overpriced! (Mysteriors drones 3 pack is only 70poundd) Frankly, i rate asmus releases better than big chief

I don't have the 1st doctor or clara unfortunately, but from every picture and video i could see they don't seem that bad. Clara seems to have a weird shine and once remove it looks alright, and the 1st doctor seems quite good.

For the 10th doctor suit it fits perfectly on the figure honestly.. But yes the stripes are indeed out of scale but the color seems right. I've just compare it with some picture of doctorwhocollector on instagram and the color looks close enough. I'm way more annoyed with the coat not being the right color, material, and not being able to do some of the pose they advertised.

For the 8th doctor they were minor things like the tie button not being the right color or the watch not being glued on the suit. But i didn't see a lot of people complaining about those so i think people would have been more annoyed with the figure being push back again than those issues.

If think they charge what they have to charge, they only make 1000 figures sometimes even less.
I wouldn't say is false advertising, its the same with almost all company even the bigger one like hot toys, you know that the figure you are going to get will be nowhere near the promo pics. Sometimes its closer, sometimes its not.
Even rose sculpt isn't that bad once you remove the hair ( is still not good but less awful) and that wasn't their fault its the one the actress wanted, other prototype were miles better.
Company like toys era are not licensed so they have generally much cheaper price and the quality doesn't always follow either. And where did you find an doc ock so cheap ? I thought about getting him, but i'm still waiting to get a good raimi spiderman before, but here in Europe the price are at least 250?.
I agree that asmus may be a better company, they make the figure quicker, they communicate more, but some of the figure are just.. I'd say tauriel is at the same level of Rose. And that Boromir.. I've been wainting him for a long time, almost bought him a few times, but i'm always put off but that sculpt that look 0% like Sean Bean for me. I hope they will do an other one in his Gondor armor with the flag, and a better headsculpt.
And also yes that k9 is way overpriced i would never thought of spending that must just for that.

Overall i'm quite happy that Big chief is doing doctor who, even with all the issues. You can see that they are fans of the shows they are making figures out of. Even if they are not asmus toys, they don't just put the pre order up and then come back when the figure is ready without communicating once with the customer. Or they don't just make one figure of a license and thats it. I prefer to have all of the doctor even if some are not perfect, than having one done wonderfully by hot toys and never see the rest of them.

Where did i get doc ock for so cheap? Kg hobby. The 2nd run is still up for pre order there for 150pounds. They even have some hot toys spiderman up for PO for less than 180pounds. So yeah, when i see big chief charging 160pounds for a small robot dog i think its a rip off.

With regards to their promos, whilst i agree all companies make their promos better than what you get, i find big chief go much further to the point it really isnt the same. The promos for the 8th dr looked amazing and yet the figure in hand wasnt the same. Seeing their promos for 3, 6 and the master make these figures and give the impression they will be flawless. You end up paying top prices and dont get high end quality. When you see quite a few people sending off big chief sculpts to be repainted, that doesnt sound like a high end figure worthy of a 250pound price tag.

Im not saying they are complete trash. Theyre decent for the most part. But 250pounds decent? No!

But everything is subjective and if you enjoy them then thats cool.

Ho yes i see, but when you import them you still have to add the import fee. So it brings him back to 250€, unless you're lucky. But still i agree with you k9 should be half the price.

For the promo pictures i think that the 8th doctor is much better than the other. You can see the difference but its still pretty close. In this case i think figures like the war doctor ( the coat had way more and better weathering) and the 10th doctor ( the coat looked better and the paint of the head was very good) looked way better in the promo pics. So i think they are getting closer and closer.

Getting them repainted is a bit overkill in my opinion, except for the 10th doctor which seems to be the worst in term of face paint with Amy i would say. But i think people get them repainted because they have the money to do it or want their figures to be on the next level of realism. More than because they are awful. I've seen people get their hot toys repainted or rehaired so.

For the price they just priced the same as all other figures. They may not be at the quality of hot toys and still charging the same price, but thats more due to the fact that they are a very small company, with very low number edition. I guess its also depends how much you paid for them. I've gotten all my figures for between 150 & 210€ which i think is alright.

We already mostly know what will the 3rd doctor look like and it looks to be worth the price. I still think that the 13th doctor is overpriced, but that may be due to the all launch pad thingy, if i buy her i will definitely sell the neutral headsculpt and the signature.

I'm really excited for all of the figures they are making, because i don't really care about any mistake they have make in the past because they are on the right path to make up for them. The 8th doctor show what we can expect for the next figures and apart for a few issues he almost look like the promo pictures, and is really worth his price. If the 3rd and 13th doctor are good we can be sure it will be the same for most of the line.

Ive been ordering from kg hobby for years and not once have i had to pay any import duty. Then again thats probably due to the low value they declare. Saying that i dont think ive ever paid any duty on anything from china even if the declared value was accurate.

I now only own the brown suit 10 and his tardis and personally thats all i want. If they ever get round to making a dalton or lazenby 077 figure then i suspect i break and order them knowing they wont be as good as advertised.

Back