Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #12 Peter Capaldi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm totally ok with it being an upgrade. The 12th of the 12th is a good gig. And, it comes hot on the heels of the BBC pushing their Christmas Santa Who special ( not sure what to make if that one !).
I am confident of an auto plaque accompanying this figure. After all, it won't ship till late 2015, or later. By which time, the auto plaque will be included in the box, so we will get it as one package anyway. In mean time, I'm settling for listening to The Day (and Time) of the Doctor CD. Really disappointed they don't have the actual opening or closing themes on there. The theme used to open the Day was neat, and the closing arrangement was nearly as good as my all time favorite arrangement: The McGann movie.

I'm not totally sure I see the difference? If you want the figure no matter what, you can pre-order now. If the signature works out, great, you can get the upgrade. If you don't want a figure unless you get the signature, I guess that might be the only issue? If you're worried they sell out?

The difference being it's an additional thing to buy, an additional shipping charge, another PO to do. Whereas if they waited it would have been handled like the others. It dilutes the idea of it being a true exclusive. What's next if it's popular? Add ons for figures that didn't offer an SE? A secondary offering for folks who skipped it but now want it? The whole thing feels off. Honestly I'll buy Capaldi because I love the character and will buy the Signature because I'm a sucker for that stuff but it's multiple additional steps including dealing with World Pay which as been a pain that IMHO didn't need to occur.

The difference being it's an additional thing to buy, an additional shipping charge, another PO to do. Whereas if they waited it would have been handled like the others. It dilutes the idea of it being a true exclusive. What's next if it's popular? Add ons for figures that didn't offer an SE? A secondary offering for folks who skipped it but now want it? The whole thing feels off. Honestly I'll buy Capaldi because I love the character and will buy the Signature because I'm a sucker for that stuff but it's multiple additional steps including dealing with World Pay which as been a pain that IMHO didn't need to occur.

I guess I kind of see where you're coming from, partly, but I'm not sure all of that applies.

A.) I doubt it'd be additional shipping. Since it's just a matter of slipping the plaque in with the existing figure. Remember, the figure isn't coming out until 3rd quarter of 2015 at the earliest. This will be offered way before then, I'd assume, before anything is shipped.

B.) I don't get how it dilutes it being exclusive? If it's limited to the same number as the others, it functions just the same.

Finally, as far as the Worldpay thing, well I can see that. Although it's possible the up charge for the exclusive will be small enough that it wouldn't require a payment plan, at least.

No Signature Edition for 12th Doctor figure:

"It is with regret that we have to inform all customers who would have been interested in a signed 12th Doctor figure, that the Signature Edition will not be happening. Despite our best efforts to negotiate we are unable to proceed as we had planned. We appreciate that this will be frustrating news for many of our customers, but please do understand that we cannot force an individual to participate if they do not wish to do so. Should the situation change in the future, we will of course keep you informed and hopefully we might be able to proceed as originally intended."

12th Doctor 1:6 scale collector figure priority pre-order

Such a shame that there will be sig no edition :monkey2

Wonder if it was a BBC thing, or if Capaldi really didn't want to sign a couple hundred stickers.

Last edited:
Maybe Capaldi was fired, and didn't want anything else to do with Who.
Regardless of reason, this is not cool. Tom, David and Mat all went with it. The die was cast, and if you allow the portrait, then why not follow suit. The man says he's a Who fan, so must appreciate that we like collections.. Anyway, if it's not happening then so be it.

Let's not jump to conclusions yet. Maybe a family member is ill and he's devoting his time to them instead of signing autographs. Fans were mad Liz Sladen stopped doing commentaries and as we now now she stopped because she was battling cancer. Maybe he has more important things on his mind now.

Some celebs hate autographs that are only used to increase financial value of something as opposed to being a personal moment ....some just hate any form of autograph.
And the likeness rights would have been tied to the role. He would have had to give those away to play the role. But autographing things apparently wasn't.

Oh well ...no biggie really. I have the autographed Sherlock set but leave the plaques in the box. They don't make the figure any better so why display them.

I don't know if I'll even bother buying Capaldi now, to be honest. I've already pieced together a kitbash that I'm happy with based on his Time Heist look, so all I need is the Capaldi head that comes as an extra with the Matt Smith series 7 Doctor to finish that off. And I have a spare Sonic for him already as well, given that Big Chief includes both open and closed versions. Plus, as the head sculpt in the individual release is exactly the same, other than for a few strands of sculpted hair, and given that I'm not overly taken by some of the costume work, combined it has me seriously thinking about passing without that signed extra incentive there to help draw me in. Have to see how the mood strikes me when the full reveal hits, I guess.

As I said a few days back, I had a feeling that Peter Capaldi might be an actor who wasn't keen on signing stuff, given just how few autographs of his I've seen in the past year (I've also read that he only responds with pre-printed autograph photos when written to, as well), so I'm not blaming Big Chief if that is the case, nor am I blaming Peter Capaldi, as it is his choice to make, and he probably has his reasons, but either way, as a collector it still kind of sucks in any case. I just hope it didn't just all come down to money, because that would be really disappointing (even if it is the most likely factor in most cases).

Yeah, I definitely no longer feel the need to rush and PO as soon as it goes up. Maybe some time in the new year.

I'm guessing it's down to money, but I could be wrong. Am I dissapointed? Yes, I am. However, one disappointment deserves some excitement. It's an aside, but I just got myself an overpriced vinyl copy of Iron Maiden's 9th studio album, Fear of the Dark. Only, it turns out to be signed !! That was a surprise.
Ok, back to Capaldi. I'll still get the figure, but no longer excited about sitting up all night for the preorder. I was initially looking forward to that, then of course, the auto was later, and now, it ain't happening. So, I'll just let my dad order it and I'll hang fire for the release. More excited for the heads that's coming with the Smith figure, as I have a space suited figure waiting in the wings, and it could be used for either head, with the other taking the figures body..win win.

I've heard that perhaps Capaldi doesn't like the idea of charging for autographs.

I've heard that perhaps Capaldi doesn't like the idea of charging for autographs.

That's pretty cool if true, Ernie Hudson charges for photos so at a wondercon my friend with no shame caught him as he was leaving and said really fast hey can I take a pic with you and snapped a quick free bee with him :slap I commend my friend though for having the balls to do that.

It makes sense that autograph should be a memento of meeting someone you admire - thus I can see where someone who really respects the role wouldn't want to do an impersonal signing on merchandise just to increase the value of the merchandise.

Back