Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #1 William Hartnell

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have been harsh on BCS in the past, we'll the distant past, but I tell you that the head sculpt on the 1st Doctor looks like it's a real person. It's quite astounding, I keep opening the thread to look at him.

Going for the vintage TV effect with this one.

IMG_6278.JPG

Seeing these black and white pictures makes me kind of wonder why they didn't do a limited run in greyscale, to pay homage to the original episodes. It'd be kinda neat to eventually have a full line up of all 12 Doctors, where the earliest are true to their broadcast appearance.

Great looking figure either way though!

Seeing these black and white pictures makes me kind of wonder why they didn't do a limited run in greyscale, to pay homage to the original episodes. It'd be kinda neat to eventually have a full line up of all 12 Doctors, where the earliest are true to their broadcast appearance.

Great looking figure either way though!

I suggested that on their facebook page that they make a B&W variant exclusive edition but they didn't seem interested in making one. Too bad.

I doubt they felt that there was a big enough market to cover the cost in doing so at the same time as the regular release. Especially as you can't just grey-scale the head sculpt, you'd have to redo some of the clothes, the hands, and the accessories as well. Plus they probably didn't want to split the market, either.

As much as I personally like the idea of it, it seems like a lot of work to risk at this point on what would likely be, at best, very little profit for Big Chief. Plus, if they did do a B&W Hartnell, and then even if it didn't sell to minimum expectations, all those that purchased one would still [strike]expect[/strike] demand them to make a matching Troughton anyway, or else there invariably would be never ending complaining on the subject. Right now they likely thought it best to avoid such potential headaches, and just go with the regular. After all, they've shown that they will do key variants if enough of a demand for them is shown to be there, so who knows what the future might bring...

With that in mind, it does make for an obvious variant if they ever do have the need/demand to revisit Hartnell for another release one day. Particularly after how well received the release has been, so far. Perhaps the smarter move, if they ever do plan on doing so, is to just wait a bit and do a B&W variant release as a set with a black and white Patrick Troughton included as well (after his regular colour version has also been done, of course), that way, those that purchased the colour version may end up buying both (which is good business for Big Chief), and you also get both B&W variants knocked over at once, for those that are interested, so there's no risk in not being able to complete the early era black and white look due to things such as lower than expected sales on one or the other.

Regardless, right now I'm just happy to have any Hartnell on my shelf at all, let alone one this good. :D

Some more :)

As most have said the figure is great, sculpt, paint work, clothing, tailoring, materials used, accesories everythinh is top notch a really really nice figure.

My only nitpick would be tha stand, for me it's the sort of thing that probably sounded like a great idea at the time, looked good on paper maybe but for me detracts from the whole package it just seems cheap and tacky, i'd dump the light-up feature put on a nice Dr who logo or maybe a light up Who logo if it has to light-up.

I know I have been harsh on BCS in the past, we'll the distant past, but I tell you that the head sculpt on the 1st Doctor looks like it's a real person. It's quite astounding, I keep opening the thread to look at him.

The head sculpt on this one is brilliant. I was watching 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' last night and it's creepy (in a good way of course) as to just how realistic it does look. BCS have done a superb job with Hartnell.

Loving all the photos in this thread...keep 'em coming!!! :rock

Did I hear somewhere that Hartnell is now low stock? I hope so because it gives me hope that other classic Doctor's will appear. As a rule I don't normally collect 1:6th figures (beyond a couple of Star Trek customs), but the 1st Doctor has exceeded my expectations & I'm very much looking forward to the other Doctors

That's what was said via Twitter, I believe.

Be great to see this sell out soon. One, because it deserves to. And two, because it would be a good indication that Big Chief have found a comfortable balance between edition size and profit viability that works and should translate across the majority of the other classic Doctors. Especially when you consider the fact that Hartnell perpetually (and unjustifiably) comes in as one of the least widespread popular of the classic Doctors in any polls that get done on the subject (both fan based, and general public).

So if Hartnell can sell at acceptable levels, you'd have to think that Troughton, Pertwee, and Davison (at the very least) wouldn't be much of a risk either, if done in similar quality. Regardless, hopefully we'll see another classic Doctor pop up soon.

Mine is apparently taking the scenic route around the southern U.S. It was one city over in the sorting center then decided to go back on another trip =/

I read the limited stock thing somewhere as well. It might have been on their site.
Looking forward, more and more to this figure's arrival with each photo posted. I am also aware that any photo I have taken of a BC figure has not done it justice. i do want these in their own unit, so a datolf is being purchased next weekend. The plan: the current 4 Doctors will have a shelf each, and each will have a selection of CO DALEKS added in to their shelf. 11 can also have Amy.

I read Parrot's view on a twin pack of BW figures with a smile in my face. I had a similar thought a few days back.get the color Second out, then at a time in the future, you offer a commemorative monochrome twin set. And, I can actually see them going ahead with that as its a viable product option.

Ok, back to the more immediate present. I think I'm twelve days away from the arrival of my First Doctor.

Add me to the broken glasses club. Seems like I just touched them and the sides broke off. But overall I'm pleased with the figure. They included all those extra buttons and the tiny plastic pegs (what ARE they for?)- too bad they couldn't throw in another pair of glasses...

Add me to the broken glasses club. Seems like I just touched them and the sides broke off. But overall I'm pleased with the figure. They included all those extra buttons and the tiny plastic pegs (what ARE they for?)- too bad they couldn't throw in another pair of glasses...

:exactly: Seems its happened to quite a few collectors. Mine had come out of the tray in transit and had broke :(

Those 4 clear and brown things? They're the Key of Marinus.

Got mine in. 374 out of 500. Definitely a better paint app than the other releases and no hobo look, thank god. I still think the eyes are a bit off, but it's not quite so bad in person. Hope we hear about future docs soon

Edit: One negative I see is a rather ugly mold seam going across the top of his head. Does anyone else have that issue?
Edit2: Added a pic that sort of captures it. It's like a ridge that goes halfway around his head. Wondering if I should ask for a replacement

pzPBskn.jpg

Back