Big Chief Studios - 1/6 - DALEKS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I am much more interested in getting Doctor 2, 5, 6 and 7 as soon as possible. Doctor 2 is my priority. Doctor 3 was my priority but assume he will arrive within the next couple of months. Once we have those maybe we can see costume variants of say 3 and 4 especially but also 5 and 7, maybe also 1 and 2 even 6. I would also like to see the Brigadier, Captain Yates, Sgt Benton, Joe Grant, Sarah Jane, Ace, Ainley Master, Peri. Maybe companions for 1, 2 and 5 also IF that is possible. I will pass on the Daleks and save my money for any of the figures I have mentioned above plus any others they may produce I want.

Wish they could produce all those classic Doctors and companions as rapidly as it appears EXO-6 plans to produce Star Trek figures!

They're doing new versions of 9, 10 and 11 and working on 2, 5 and 7 but have had issues with them. I wouldn't expect any more companions. The others didn't sell well and went on heavy discount. Masters I could see happening and maybe Davros and some Cybermen but nothing more. It takes years to get a Doctor figure out, a low selling companion isn't going to happen.

I had heard about the issue with 5 and 7 regarding I think the wool jumper material etc. I thought it would be a good idea for them to move on with 2. To be honest if I have 1, 2, 3 and 4 on my shelf for me that is peak classic Doctor Who. I still want 5, 6 and 7 but 1, 2, 3 and 4 are 100% what I want the most.

You might be right about the companions. I wonder how the most popular classic companions might sell? I suppose at the end of the day I am talking about costly figures of supporting characters from a television series made from 1963-1989!

All I really collect are Classic Doctor Who and Star Trek TOS. If anyone ever made Babylon 5 or UFO then I would collect those also but seems rather unlikely.

I had thought about a Baker Doctor K9 and dalek purchase ( a nice tiny Dr. Who display far as I’m concerned) but these dalek prices are pretty much telling me not to bother with any of em.. what’s the point?
not spending what they want for these so why bother as to me I’d have a incomplete display then
There are the Eaglemoss Mega Dalek statues. They're 9 inches tall so should scale pretty well. They're a fraction of the price of the BC ones and it's not like Daleks need much articulation or elaborate paint jobs anyway. Might be something to look into if the price of these Daleks are holding you back from getting Tom and K9.

Makes me wonder what they are made from. I certainly don’t want them super heavy like the Police Boxes. But if they are strait plastic the price point is quite high.

hmmmmmm….

I was looking forward to these, but I’m a bit underwhelmed and confused.

My main fear is that these will be “poly resin” (or whatever) like the Tardis. If so, they’ll be ludicrously heavy, and shipping will be a fortune, on top of that pretty hefty price tag.

I’m also a bit confused about the listed features, (does the mid-section rotate, like the dome? How to the lights light up, when no voice effects are listed.

The skirt “bumps” (hemispheres) don’t look right to me either. They look quite shallow, and not prominent enough.

If I can get them from a domestic online retailer here in the USA, then I might get one. I would really like a proper 1/6 Dalek for my collection. It’s just too bad the “golden” supreme Dalek is a BFS exclusive. That one has a nice visual “pop”!

I want to be excited about these, but I’m just not sure.

These look too much like a CO toy and not enough like the ultimate Dalek I want them to be at this price. They need paint on the bodies, to start.

For those wondering about pricing, some thoughts from Gregg from BCS:

“The prototypes have 117 individual parts, which will be reduced to approximately 80 parts for manufacturing.
The vertical plates are individually attached over the top of a metal mesh.
The interior of the head section has metal mesh and an internal collar to avoid being see through.
Each Dalek will be hand assembled and hand painted.
The eye can be moved up and down.
The top section is rotatable.
The manipulator arm is metal with a flexible plunger end and can rotate and extend.
The laser gun arm is metal and can rotate.
The lights blink on the top dome.
The base has rollerballs to enable it to move in any direction.
This is not Iron Man and we won’t make 10,000 or 20,000 units, so tooling is amortised across a much smaller run.
Pricing is calculated to allow for distributor and retailer margins, to cover product development costs, to cover manufacturing costs, to cover license royalty and to cover shipping and duty charges for importation.”

Crazy prices for me too i'm afraid. I was hoping to maybe pick up old Goldie....but not now:cry:

I thought these might have echoed HT R2D2 and have sound effects and some die cast parts. At 330 Euro they should have at least the iconic Dalek sound effects.
Again i'll have to remain content with my custom Dalek...

Each vertical plate being an individual piece feels like it has trouble written all over it for a mass production run, as far as potential warping (if they are plastic, as expected), proper alignment, and possible paint damage/scratching goes.

Also I wish they'd address the inaccuracies issue, too. For the price these should be as dead on accurate to the originals as possible from a practical standpoint (minus the damage the tv prop versions took over the years), so things that could easily be fixed like inaccurate colours on the guns is a bit disappointing.

If these are a hard sell even to a hardcore Who buying freak like me, I do seriously wonder just how many of these they will manage to shift.

This is not Iron Man and we won’t make 10,000 or 20,000 units, so tooling is amortised across a much smaller run.

They won't make that many in this run, but over time with color variants, even if they only do runs of just 3,500 units each multiplied by just 6 color variants, that's 21,000 total Daleks that the price could be amortized over.

I also don't understand the over-complicated build requirements. Seems there are places that could save money -- like who needs multiple panels on the base unless they are removable? I don't even understand the "mesh" that we don't see.

I'm not a Dalek expert, but hearing that there are numerous inaccuracies at this price point makes no sense when at the same time you are using hidden design work as a selling point.

Accuracy sells itself.

The gold Dalek is limited to 500, while the 'warrior' Dalek is open ended, but I don't see them making more than, say, 600 or so of those in this run, tops, depending on just how many three packs (with two warriors and a gold) they think they can shift. And at these prices I can't imagine it will be a big number. Still, we'll see. They certainly won't make runs of any given Dalek in the thousands, even the most popular Doctors can't shift anywhere near that amount.

That said, even in just the classic series there are so many colour variants they could do with these same parts that it does make the pricing hard to swallow. Though to be fair, future variants aren't guaranteed sales, so I guess you've got to squeeze your profit margin and everything else from that initial run, in case no more happen, which puts all the price stress on this initial run. And they can't come out and say future variants would be cheaper due to parts reuse because then people would just wait for cheaper options later and not buy these, which would pretty much guarantee future runs wouldn't be financially viable and wouldn't happen anyway. A real rock and a hard place position.

The other reason I imagine the warrior dalek is open ended is so they can do another run as 'Genesis' Daleks if they ever get around to doing Davros.

Last edited:
at these prices

That's the key phrase of course.

At $169, they likely would sell double to triple the amount of Daleks -- of course I'm not sure of the fan base, and BCS is, so likely they know its better to price high for a few rather than low for... a few.

I'm just griping because I want my Dalek for a price I can afford. :)

I do hope these sell well for BCS because I would like to see Davros and other figures in this line, whether I can afford them or not.

They've shown in the past that numbered editions are meaningless anyway by re-releasing the Doctors in un-numbered versions so if they do sell all 500 hold Daleks that doesn't necessarily mean he will be unavailable.

Back