Big Chief- Doctor Who, The 11th Doctor (Matt Smith)1/6th scale review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to repainting my Eleven figure. I got one of those that had this weird greenish-gray cast to it, making him look kind of sickly, so I figured pretty much anything would be an improvement.

I also extended the neck and filled in some of the cavities around the shoulders, stomach, and hips with padding to flatten the body and make it not so lumpy and awkward.

smith2 (1000x679).jpg

IMG_1409 (616x850).jpg

IMG_1417 (443x900).jpg

That looks fantastic! I've always loved this sculpt and would love to try repainting the skin myself. Any insight into how you did this would be welcome.

That looks fantastic! I've always loved this sculpt and would love to try repainting the skin myself. Any insight into how you did this would be welcome.

Thanks guys. :) And I agree, despite the lack of detail and skin texture, it's still a really fantastic sculpt.

I wish I could give you an exact formula for the paintjob, but I was just kinda figuring it out as I went along. I did spray it with some dullcoat first, and then the basic color I used for the skin was just a mix of flesh, beige, and burgundy (using just cheap craft paint), with a slightly darker mix for the shadowing under the brow, sides of the nose, under the lower eyelids, etc, and then finally a thin wash of a light tan over top. And for the eyes I just slightly darkened and added a bit of detail to the existing ones.

Oh, and it also helps to remove the flap of hair in front first, after heating it up a little bit and prying it out.

Thanks guys. :) And I agree, despite the lack of detail and skin texture, it's still a really fantastic sculpt.

I wish I could give you an exact formula for the paintjob, but I was just kinda figuring it out as I went along. I did spray it with some dullcoat first, and then the basic color I used for the skin was just a mix of flesh, beige, and burgundy (using just cheap craft paint), with a slightly darker mix for the shadowing under the brow and under the lower eyelids, and then finally a thin wash of a light tan over top. And for the eyes I just slightly darkened and added a bit of detail to the existing ones.

Oh, and it also helps to remove the flap of hair in front first, after heating it up a little bit and prying it out.

Thanks for that dave, it's kind of given me the encouragement I needed to stop looking at my paints and get started. Worst case scenario, I'll send it to someone for a repaint who will strip off all the paint. I know you were going to leave the eyes - did you leave the lips as they were?

I've already removed the hair, slightly scary but you just have to pull hard. I am also thinking of cutting off the two strands of hair as that's more of a series 6 look for me and I'm more interested in getting a series 5 look.

Yeah I repainted the lips as well. And you can't really do worse than the existing paintjob, so you might as well give it a shot. If all else fails, you can always wipe off the new paint with some 91% alcohol and it'll be back to where it was.

Although one tip about the neck. It's such an incredibly tight fit that you'll remove any paint you've painstakingly put down, so you might want to sand the top of the neck first to create a bit more space (which I didn't do but should have).

Looks a lot better. I always liked that figure, but mine is also a bit of a zombie with that awful paint

I wish someone with the right photoshop skills would create a series 5 Tardis diorama to match the ones that came with later figures. Hopefully they'll do a series 5 figure down the line but until then it would be great to have a custom version.

Those dioramas were an absolutely beautiful idea IMHO.

Totally agreed! I've really grown to love the other ones, but my Eleven just doesn't look right without his original Console Room behind him.

Not sure though if I'd want it from this angle though, or from the second level...

dr-who.jpg

I'd probably hope for it to be from the second level, the platform cuts across the image in a way that looks ugly there. I love that console room, very quirky, totally suited Eleven's Series 5 character.

Finally got around to repainting my Eleven figure. I got one of those that had this weird greenish-gray cast to it, making him look kind of sickly, so I figured pretty much anything would be an improvement.

I also extended the neck and filled in some of the cavities around the shoulders, stomach, and hips with padding to flatten the body and make it not so lumpy and awkward.

View attachment 225881

Looks miles better now - excellent work! :)

Back