BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pretty much figured out what I want to do. I want to do a a 3 unit wide display with a drawer( or 2?) on the bottom of each unit. What I can't decide is whether to buy the 75 inch tall unit and do two drawers in each tower or buy the 50 inch unit and add the 15 inch frame so I can still have a 2 cube high display but just a single drawer. The cost of each option is very similar so since I usually use that as a deciding factor I'm at a loss. Lol
It would be easier to build the display using just the 75" frames but I think I prefer the look of just a single drawer on bottom. Are there any drawbacks to screwing the 50" and 15" frames together to make a 65" tall unit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sort of. I picked up the booklet they have in store to figure out which pieces I needed. Just not sure how difficult is to stack multiple frames on top of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of. I picked up the booklet they have in store to figure out which pieces I needed. Just not sure how difficult is to stack multiple frames on top of each other.

The truth is the Tall Besta is not stable on its own. I bought a Tall Besta, and a single Besta to stack on top. Used the included clips on back of the units. Installed shelves as per instructions to add more strength. Installed 4 doors, and placed unit on Tile floor against wall. I still didn't like the stability of the unit compared to the 47" horizontal double Besta stacked 4 high. I kept getting a "swaying" effect if I push lightly from left to right on the Tall unit.

Placing legs on Tall besta and angling them so they apply pressure against wall is another option if you cant screw to stud. I personally did not try this method, but others reported this works.

Curious if anyone here owns both the old white BESTA and new/revamped white BESTA. I know Ikea said the new white was noticeably brighter/whiter, but I'm wondering if it's a massive eyesore of a difference, or if it's not that big of a deal.

Hey everyone quick question.

Tomorrow I'm going to ikea to buy a besta cabinet. I was wondering if it would fit in the back of Chevy Tahoe with the seats taken out. I'm just wondering big the ikea box is?

Also who many diodor led strips do i need? I know theres one that is $30 and has 4 led strips. I wanted 1 strip in the front and one in the back in each section. So if i have 3 sections will 2 led kits be enough? Are they long enough?

Hey everyone quick question.

Tomorrow I'm going to ikea to buy a besta cabinet. I was wondering if it would fit in the back of Chevy Tahoe with the seats taken out. I'm just wondering big the ikea box is?

Also who many diodor led strips do i need? I know theres one that is $30 and has 4 led strips. I wanted 1 strip in the front and one in the back in each section. So if i have 3 sections will 2 led kits be enough? Are they long enough?

I was able to get the big besta box home in my Toyota Camry, so I think you should be good ha

So i finally got around to replacing the Glassvik doors on my Besta setup. I never really liked the Glassvik doors because the border is so large it covers part of the statues in it. I really always wanted the Tombo doors but they stopped making those. I had a place cut an acrylic sheet to the right size and put hinges on it and made my own doors. Still wish i could get the Tombos but I'm happy with the way this came out and like it a lot better then the Glassvik doors i had. Now the whole display can be seen and no border is covering anything.

Glassvik Doors
20151231_180302 by zuko1312, on Flickr

New Doors
20160121_223113 by zuko1312, on Flickr

So i finally got around to replacing the Glassvik doors on my Besta setup. I never really liked the Glassvik doors because the border is so large it covers part of the statues in it. I really always wanted the Tombo doors but they stopped making those. I had a place cut an acrylic sheet to the right size and put hinges on it and made my own doors. Still wish i could get the Tombos but I'm happy with the way this came out and like it a lot better then the Glassvik doors i had. Now the whole display can be seen and no border is covering anything.

Glassvik Doors
20151231_180302 by zuko1312, on Flickr

New Doors
20160121_223113 by zuko1312, on Flickr

How much was that and do you think you make me some?

How much was that and do you think you make me some?

They were actually pretty easy to make. Cost about $60. I ordered the Acrylic from www.tapplastics.com They cut it to any size you want. I got the 1/8 inch thick Clear Extruded Acrylic. If i was doing it again i would do it as one piece instead of two but if i got it as one piece it became oversized for shipping and they charged a lot for shipping it if it was oversized. So i went with two pieces like the original doors i had. I had it cut to the same size as the Glassvik doors i had and then just got some cheap hinges at HomeDepot and used some permanent mounting tape to attach the hinges to the Acrylic and the side of the Besta. I also put a magnetic catch also available at HomeDepot on the top and bottom of each door to keep it closed. I don't think it came out perfect but I'm happy with it and much happier then i was with the Glassvik doors.

Has any one here used the Barlighting.com LED lights in their besta cabinets. If so are the cords long enough.

Back