BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batman base and shelf is a bit below the tombo door frame. Not too terrible for me though.

If you can see past the glare, I've got my Batman PF in a Besta and it's completely visible with the doors I have. Had to lower the shelf a notch to get him to fit.

9u9u6u3e.jpg

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not but i hope that i can some advice.

I need some advice on mounting and securing my Ikea Besta to the wall.

I used the mounting kit that originally came with it but it didn't work, the threads on the screw don't hold on we'll in the wall because its a dry wall and it doesn't go that deep because it hits the metal that is behind the dry wall.

I live in Southern California and is some of you have heard an earthquake has happened, and now I'm really worried because the shelf is not secure, I'm almost considering to put my pieces back in their boxes till I figure something out.

I apologize for any grammar mistakes because I'm an international student.

I would much appreciate it if anyone has any ideas or advice on how to securely mount it.

Thanks everyone.

Amro

Base on this:

I need some advice on mounting and securing my Ikea Besta to the wall.
I used the mounting kit that originally came with it but it didn't work, the threads on the screw don't hold on we'll in the wall because its a dry wall

My first and solid recommendation is to STOP RIGHT NOW and don't do anything yourself. Go find someone who is at least semi-knowledgeable in your area and have them do the work for you. I don't typically advise people against DIY, but this question is so extremely basic and shows a very significant and potentially dangerous lack of knowledge that I'd be irresponsible not to recommend avoiding doing the work yourself.

Ok, now that said…

The IKEA mounting kits don't typically come with any screws for fastening to the wall, that's up to you to provide because every wall is different - I recall instructions packed in with the kit saying precisely that.

If your house is stud construction, then typically the studs will be wood. Metal studs are intended for commercial construction only - it's possible they've been used in a home by a contractor or previous home owner that didn't know what they were doing. So if you think you're hitting metal you might be hitting a nail, a pipe, a plate protecting wire running through stud, etc. Go get yourself a stud finder and some 2" wood screws.

If you don't understand the above or if you're not comfortable with this, then have someone who is do the job for you.

Last edited:
looking at picking this up for me flat https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49894989/ wonder if most if not all the sections can be replaced with glass doors?

Hey Stealth.
Ikea don't sell complete units like that, you have to pick up all the seperate parts from their warehouse.
You just build what you want. Buy the different carcasses then add the doors you want.
Be quick if you want Tombo doors, they're being discontinued.

Hey Stealth.
Ikea don't sell complete units like that, you have to pick up all the seperate parts from their warehouse.
You just build what you want. Buy the different carcasses then add the doors you want.
Be quick if you want Tombo doors, they're being discontinued.

yeah was just looking at the whole outcome thing looks nice, heard about the tombo doors being discontinued :/, any decent alternative out there not kept up with this thread

Thanks,

yeah it'll be best if i just get someone to do it, i thought that it would be a simple job but it clearly isn't.

Base on this:

My first and solid recommendation is to STOP RIGHT NOW and don't do anything yourself. Go find someone who is at least semi-knowledgeable in your area and have them do the work for you. I don't typically advise people against DIY, but this question is so extremely basic and shows a very significant and potentially dangerous lack of knowledge that I'd be irresponsible not to recommend avoiding doing the work yourself.

Ok, now that said…

The IKEA mounting kits don't typically come with any screws for fastening to the wall, that's up to you to provide because every wall is different - I recall instructions packed in with the kit saying precisely that.

If your house is stud construction, then typically the studs will be wood. Metal studs are intended for commercial construction only - it's possible they've been used in a home by a contractor or previous home owner that didn't know what they were doing. So if you think you're hitting metal you might be hitting a nail, a pipe, a plate protecting wire running through stud, etc. Go get yourself a stud finder and some 2" wood screws.

If you don't understand the above or if you're not comfortable with this, then have someone who is do the job for you.

Thanks,

yeah it'll be best if i just get someone to do it, i thought that it would be a simple job but it clearly isn't.

Hey ajman, where in SoCal are you located? My whole room is basically floating bestas. I have become a pro at floating them haha. You need to buy the besta suspension rail from my ikea for each besta you plan to hang.

Let me Know if you need some help. I'd be happy to help out

My store didn't have the white clear glass one, otherwise I would've bought it to try. Only had the white smoked glass, black smoked glass, and black clear.

I don't remember the spelling, but does anyone know what the BESTA Maraviken (sp?) door/window looks like? They had it at my store and the black&white looked like the glassvik/vassbo but it was sealed and quite expensive.

Pardon the noob comments.....
So, they discontinued the Tombo....and they have this Glassvik series now. If the Glassvik is smoked glass, I assume visibility will be terrible. Is there a clear glass version also?

Pardon the noob comments.....
So, they discontinued the Tombo....and they have this Glassvik series now. If the Glassvik is smoked glass, I assume visibility will be terrible. Is there a clear glass version also?
There is, dw316 had confirmed it although there isn't much information or pictures available at the moment.

Back